Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Changes In School Colors/Mascot Names Over Time

Featured Replies

We have a thread going on Williamsburg's basketball uniforms using orange and black instead of orange and blue now. How many schools out there have changed their Colors or Mascots over the history of the school that you know of?

I have always been told that Lynn Camp was Blue and Yellow many, many decades ago,(1920's/30's era) due to using old UK hand-me-downs to be able to play football, and maybe basketball, I don't know. I think the Wildcats name came from here, but have never been able to back that up. It would make sense.

 

How about the rest of you?:confused:

This should be an interesting thread.

 

I've always wondered if some schools have had either different mascots/nicknames and/or school colors other than the ones that they have now.

I have been curious to when the request would be made to do away with Indian names like they have done in the pros and colleges.

Irouquios (sp?) had a mascot name from Indians, to Raiders. I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Johnson Central's original colors were supposed to be Red, White and Blue with the mascot of a colonial or a general or something to of that nature. I dont think those colors or mascot were ever used.

 

Not sure where the idea of the golden eagle mascot and the black and gold colors came from.

Fairview High School's original colors were the same as Morehead and were even referred to a the screamin' Eagles. But the BAND uniforms came in Red, Black and White in the late '50's or early 60's and the adminsitration didn't want to pay for others. soooooo...... They are now red, black and white because of band.

Hey Daddy Cat West Knox Elementary will be changing their colors and mascot to match Lynn Camp next year....

 

West Knox Wildcats----Orange & Black

The Raceland Ramblers..

not sure if the colors have always been the same though.

Belfry's original colors were maroon and white, but was changed to red, silver, and white in the 60's and I think Coach Haywood changed them to just red and white his first year.

 

The name was the Buccaneers and has never been changed, but people refer to them as the Pirates as they mean the same thing.

  • Author
Hey Daddy Cat West Knox Elementary will be changing their colors and mascot to match Lynn Camp next year....

 

West Knox Wildcats----Orange & Black

 

My wife works over there and told me that. Everyone seems fairly happy about it. I think WK kept the gray/blue/red colors and Bulldog mascot due to closing Gray Elem. and combining the schools when WK was new. A lot of people were wanting it changed a while back.

  • Author

Whitley County sort of does the same thing as Belfry with football. They are the Colonels, but the radio and a lot of fans refer to them as the Red Storm.

When Villa Madonna went co-ed they changed their mascot from the Vixens to the Vipers. That lasted only a few years and they are now the Blue Lightning. the colors have remained blue and white.

 

Wonder why they went with Blue Lightning rather than White Lightning?

 

Good idea for a thread Daddy Cat. :thumb:

Johnson Central's original colors were supposed to be Red, White and Blue with the mascot of a colonial or a general or something to of that nature. I dont think those colors or mascot were ever used.

 

Not sure where the idea of the golden eagle mascot and the black and gold colors came from.

 

The story I always got was that there was a sign up on the site marking the future home of the "Johnson County Central" High School, and I want to say they were going to be the Patriots. (Much like Knott Central.) And then I am told, one day that disappeared and the board announced they were going to be the Johnson Central Golden Eagles.

 

The school fight song is Morehead's fight song. I suspect they took Morehead's Eagle and colors, and changed them just a little bit to be more original. But that'd be my guess based on what I know.

The Raceland Ramblers..

not sure if the colors have always been the same though.

 

As I understand it, when Raceland High School formed it first football team, they bought Ironton's used uniforms, thus adopting the colors orange and black. They also didn't have a field to play on, hence "Ramblers" became their mascot name, which was shortened later when the football field was ready. I remember also as a freshman cheerleader, the color white being introduced as a primary color. Uniforms were orange and white, no black. I didn't like this at the time, but I've grown used to it. Since then, orange, black and white have been the norm. When my brothers all played football, I remember my dear mother wishing the pants were black. They have used orange or black pants in recent years.

I also remember when East Carter first opened, their colors were red and sky blue, not the red and navy they sport today.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.