Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Whitley Co. 71 Leslie Co 58

Featured Replies

Whitley County trailed at the half by 10, 31-21 but out hustled and out played the host Eagles in the third quarter out scoring the Eagles 30-7. Whitley finally played with some intensity in the third quarter and got several easy buckets in transition. Ten colonels scored in the game, and Mike Crawford and Mike Storms dominated the boards in the second half.

 

Good road win out of region for the Colonels!!!!

You know, I think the Colonels could upset South if the Cards and Colonels play in the first round of the district. Coach Baker has the oven hot out at the county. He is piling up the wins...something no Colonels Coach has been able to do. Leslie has to be in the top 10 at least in the 14th, Correct?

  • Author

I don't know if you can 5-2 piling up the wins, but it has been a while since Whiltey was at this point in the season with 5 wins. I thought Whitley played South really tough and had they made some of the layups they missed they could have made that game more interesting. You can't say how the game would have unfolded, but I would have like to have seen it.

 

When the Whiltey offense is clicking it is really fun to watch. Mike Storms has been a solid addition to the team and Mike Crawford is starting to play better. Coach Baker just throws waves of players at you all at about the same level. I still think their learning curve is very steep and they will continue to improve as the season goes on.

True, but the Colonels seems to be moving into the second position in the 50th. I was not impressed with the way South has been playn. Colonels may find themselves in the region.

Leslie isn't in the top 10 in the 14th. They only have one starter back from a 7-20 team.

Leslie isn't in the top 10 in the 14th. They only have one starter back from a 7-20 team.

 

Yes, the Colonels are playing a light schedule this year. I think it will bite them come tournament time. But they do need to build confidence. The only way you can build a winning program is to win games.

 

Apex,

Imagine how good the Storms kid would be if he had choosen to play for Coach Deaton last year.

That wasn't meant as a criticism of Whitley's schedule. It appears they are one of the most improved teams in the region. I was answering a question about Leslie County.

  • Author
Yes, the Colonels are playing a light schedule this year. I think it will bite them come tournament time. But they do need to build confidence. The only way you can build a winning program is to win games.

 

Apex,

Imagine how good the Storms kid would be if he had choosen to play for Coach Deaton last year.

 

 

Storms wanted to concentrate on baseball and now he is going to do both. He has made great strides in the past few games and is shaking off the rust. He really will be a major contributor by the time the district tourney rolls around.

 

I disagree with it being a light schedule. Corbin twice, South Laurel twice, yes I know they have to play them, the Hoopin it up, the 5th Monticello back tourny where they could meet Warren Central, they have some good games in the new year, It is a challenging schedule for them at this time. One senior, a couple of Juniors, a bunch of sophs, and a ton of freshmen. They don't need a killer schedule.

Coach Baker has the menu filled with enough tests to get the Colonels ready this year. Whitley is one team no one better overlook or they will make you pay the price. Baker knows the recipe for success and seems to have the Colonels in position to make some noise come March.

I agree about Coach Baker. He got a bad deal at Breathitt. Brought the program back from the ashes and just when they were poised to contend, they got rid of him. I for one am very glad to see him get another shot at the head coaching ranks. He's a good coach and deserves the success he will no doubt earn!

Whitley is playing a lite schedule but due to the youthfulness I can not blame them!

Whitley is playing a lite schedule but due to the youthfulness I can not blame them!

 

I don't agree that it's a lite schedule. Corbin twice, SL twice, the Hoopin it up, Wayne's Tourney, Knox Central, North Laurel, Middelsboro, McCreary, Casey, Jackson. I don't think that's lite. I would agree that there are other teams that have tougher schedules, but it's a challenging schedule unless you're the top team in the Region.

  • Author
Whitley is playing a lite schedule but due to the youthfulness I can not blame them!

 

I think that the schedule that they are playing is in line with the teams that they have had in the past. It is no secret that they have been bad and everyone has had several good laughs at Whitley and questioned why they were bad. Now that they are moving in the right direction everyone wants to say they are playing a light schedule. Really it is the same schedule that they have been playing for sometime, with the exception of the better tourneys that they are in. In some ways you could say that they have upgraded their schedule. Heck Lynn Camp dropped them, so they must be bad....surely they would have been kept on that schedule if they were better than a Berea or J. Frank White Academy, right? So we have established that they are bad, then why should they play a killer schedule?

Whitley is playing a lite schedule but due to the youthfulness I can not blame them!

 

 

Yeah, Whitley needs to toughen their schedule up a bit. I think that next year they might try scheduling Jellico three times in regular season, Richmond Model a time or two, and maybe even Burgin. That should get them ready for post season play. This would put them comparable to a few neighboring schools in the area.

Coach Baker has the menu filled with enough tests to get the Colonels ready this year. Whitley is one team no one better overlook or they will make you pay the price. Baker knows the recipe for success and seems to have the Colonels in position to make some noise come March.

 

I agree with Bubba, Whitley's schedule is fine...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.