How will Shelby Valley finish the season

hokieman

I was wondering what people think about Shelby Valley this year. They seemed to be much improved. Their schedule is tough and they seem to play very hard. I think they have a chance to go 6-4 or 7-3. They have lost to 2 pretty good teams. They can say all they want about Saunders he is building a football program there and they have not avoided playing good teams.

Very disappointed in their effort this past week. Despite your sentiments...until kids start transitioning from the Middle School program into the SV Varsity program...I can't see alot changing. IMHO, SV is and will always be a basketball oriented school.

They led a pretty solid 4A Knox Central team 7-6 at the half and played them tough the whole game. Down 14-7 late in the 3rd they had a turnover and a shanked punt that sealed the deal.

I definitely wouldn't call that disappointing.

I echo watusi's sentiments.. it could be argued they played Knox central tougher than Rockcastle County did.

I heard the inetrview on EKB's "The Sports Guys" tonight with Kevin Saunders... I really like that guy. He doesn't just give ya the perverbial coach talk, he will speak what he thinks. When they asked him about hsi non-district schedule (which features 3A #1/#2 Belfry, 4A Top 10 Knox Central, 3A Top 5 Breathitt County, 3A Pike Central, 3A East Ridge, 3A Knott Central) Saunders really impressed me by saying " We could have scheduled teams we could have beat, but we want to be winners. Winners doesn't mean beating teams liek that, it means getting in there and playing hard against good teams"

He also said in reference to the Bath County victory, "We didn't play very well, and had we not played Belfry the week before we wouldn't have won that game." He also made an interesting, but true reference, the Wildcats gained more yards against Belfry than any other team has, Corbin and Pikeville included.

I don't think the Wildcats ahve the defense to beat P-burg right now, and I also can't see them ebating Breathitt. I'd say a 6-4 regular season, but that rematch with P-burg in the playoffs could be interesting. Saunders has made it clear that they know that this is their chance to win a district title and get this program turned around.