Prestonsburg vs. Breathitt Co. (Honey Bowl)

oneijoe

Who wins the Bowl O' Honey?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Bowl O' Honey?

Good question...and I don't have an answer.

The game vs. Betsy Layne can be completely ignored in judging the Blackcats.

On defense: The front is very quick and gang tackles well. Size is somewhat less than last year. The secondary has good athletes, but relatively inexperienced. If Breathitt is effective with the pass, P-burg could get burned downfield.

On offense: Returning experience at QB and RB. The offensive line is smaller, but quicker. The offense will emphasize speed-oriented running (quick-pitch, sprints, jet sweep). Very inexperienced at WR. If Breathitt's defensive front doesn't have good speed, P-burg will turn the corner all night.

:cool:

You can learn a little from those games. For instance, if you aren't trouncing teams like Betsy Layne like that, then there is a good chance it's going to be a struggle.

I've learned from watching Breathitt over the years that when they are good enough to win a championship, they will typically have lesser teams down somewhere in the range of 42 to 56 zip at the half...for example, in 2002 Breathitt beats team A 56-12 and in 2004 they beat the same team by the same score....however, if you're a fan of the team and watch them frequently you'd see a big difference...in '02 they were ahead 49-0 at the half and played the JV basically the whole second half...in '04 it would take them playing the varsity for a much larger portion of the second half to achieve the same result.

It may not seem like much to most people, but for me it's always been a pretty good indicator of our chances on the carpet. I had no doubt that Breathitt was going to win another title in 2002. In 2004, I was never completely sold on our chances...I certainly think we had a chance with the right breaks, but it was not likely. That team wasn't dominating enough against lower tier teams, and didn't look impressive enough against the better teams it played. I think some tougher games and maybe a loss would have helped the 2004 team. Unfortunately, the loss came too late to be of any benefit...:D :thumb:

Now Oneijoe,have you forgot about the games Breathitt's won,like 2002,...

I forgot nothing... ;) .

Breathitt Co. defeated Prestonsburg (and everybody else :lol: ) in 2002, but the other two times our teams met this decade the Blackcats took the win. It happened in both 2003 and 2004, with all three games in Jackson.

Regardless of which team was seen as favored (Breathitt was in all three games), I do know each game was very entertaining. Here's wishing we see another...

:bunny:

Just going solely from watching Pburg vs. Belfry last year, ...

... and that's when Belfry burnt them with the pass.

(quote edited for brevity sake)

Very astute post, EKU... :thumb:

I think overall team speed is improved this year, especially on the lines. The REAL question, IMO is, -depth-. That's where P-burg has had drop-offs in the Belfry/P-burg 4th quarters.

If a team can't go 8 deep on the lines vs. a good power running team, it's gonna show late every time in a close game.

Setzer and Craynon will be a nice duo out of the backfield this year. Seth was sorely missed in last year's playoff game (on both sides of the ball).

I had a chance to talk to Coach Derossett (sp?) yesterday at practice while doing an interview with him for Kentucky High School Game Night which will air this Friday.

From what I saw at practice and from his comments, I believe that P-Burg will be ready for the Bobcats. Look for Seth Setser to have a big game and I think the Blackcats' pass defense will surprise some people.

No doubt Coach Derossett will have them ready,he is a good Coach and his teams are usually well prepared on game day,so i do believe it will be an exciting game on the Riverbank,and hope the Canon Fires lots of black powder,will see you there....Go Bobcats.......

2003,2004,this is 2007 prestonsburg has no backs that can guard breathitts #1 wide out Rusty Herald he runs a 4.6 40 hes to fast off the line an his hands are to good for the blackcats hes the differents maker in this game joe

That's true... it is 2007. But it is worth noting some history such as the fact that Pburg has advanced just as far, if not further, than Breathitt every year since 2002.

Included along that path has been victories over the Bobcats in 2003 and 2004.

District 8 has also rolled with ease against District 7 since that 2002 season. In the years that District 7 has even appeared in a regional final, the closest they have played a District 8 team was in 2003 when Middlebsoro was shutout on their homefield 21-0 by Belfry.

Since 2002 Breathitt was the 2nd best team in their district, Pburg was the second best team in theirs. I'd take Pburg over Breathitt in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006.. what causes such the disparity in teams this year when both return enarly the same ammount of players?

I still say this will be a very, very entertaining and close game.. but the Riverbank is just a enough of a boost to give the bobcats a small victory.

That's true... it is 2007. But it is worth noting some history such as the fact that Pburg has advanced just as far, if not further, than Breathitt every year since 2002.

Included along that path has been victories over the Bobcats in 2003 and 2004.

District 8 has also rolled with ease against District 7 since that 2002 season. In the years that District 7 has even appeared in a regional final, the closest they have played a District 8 team was in 2003 when Middlebsoro was shutout on their homefield 21-0 by Belfry.

Since 2002 Breathitt was the 2nd best team in their district, Pburg was the second best team in theirs. I'd take Pburg over Breathitt in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006.. what causes such the disparity in teams this year when both return enarly the same ammount of players?

I still say this will be a very, very entertaining and close game.. but the Riverbank is just a enough of a boost to give the bobcats a small victory.

Both teams have had their runs. The only thing history between these two has shown us is that it changes. Since Breathitt's great run from '95-'98, I'm pretty sure P'burg has had the upper hand in total wins. For some reason though, it seems like the games between them are often rather lopsided...or am I mistaken? Of the games I can recall...

2000 - P'burg beat Breathitt 22-6 in the playoffs, in a game that was not as close as the score would indicate, IMO. The Blackcat defense thoroughly dominated that game.

2002 - Breathitt won 42-24, again in a game not as close as the score, IMO. Breathitt controlled that game from the kickoff.

2003 - Was it 19-7? That game was maybe a little more competitive. Breathitt's defense kept them in it, but the offense never mounted much of a serious threat, so the final outcome wasn't really in question in my mind.

2004 - P'burg jumped out to a huge lead and forced something like 8 turnovers, before Breathitt mounted a late rally...I think the score was something like 33-21 with Breathitt driving to cut the lead to 5 when P'burg returned an interception or fumble about 90+ yards to put the game out of reach. Final score, 40-29 (I think). Whether, Breathitt's rally was due to them settling down and playing better, or P'burg letting up because of such a big lead, I don't know, but the game isn't what I would call a close one, although it might have been had Breathitt punched it in. In any case, that is the one game that I thought would live up to the hype between the two...

P'burg just hasn't had the great games with Breathitt like they do with Belfry. I'm not sure why...maybe it's just timing. They just don't meet with evenly matched squads...or maybe it has something to do with the rivalry with Belfry.