Where does Barry Bonds rank...

on the list of greatest baseball players. All feelings aside. They guys has done everything there is to do in baseball other than pitch. His accomplishments and credentials are as good as anyones. He's a shoe in for the Hall. When his career comes to an end, where will he rank on the list. He IMO is at least top 5.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on the list of greatest baseball players. All feelings aside. They guys has done everything there is to do in baseball other than pitch. His accomplishments and credentials are as good as anyones. He's a shoe in for the Hall. When his career comes to an end, where will he rank on the list. He IMO is at least top 5.

Definately a top 5 player all time.

I have never liked the business aspect of Barry, the way he has done the fans over the past few years is certainly unforgivable for a player of his stature. I mean if you are going to be the best ever, you don't take yourself out of the players association so you can't be in video games, baseball cards, and other memorabillia just because your not getting paid for it. Other than that he certainly hasn't handled the steroid thing all to well either, and did I mention he's not the best guy to have around in the clubhouse.

BUT, with all that being said, between the lines and out of the dugout, you cannot take anything away from what Barry Bonds has done. Even if he does need an asterik beside the name on the back of his Giants uniform. Seriously, I am one of the biggest Barry Bashers on the planet, but credit goes to where credit is due, and Bonds is without question one of the greatest to have ever played the game. Top 10 without question, and perhaps even top 5. He has performed and had a brilliant career, and regardless of everything I mentioned in the first paragraph you cannot take what he has done on the field away from him.

There are so many aspects to baseball. Barry is a great power hitter, great base-stealer, great offensive producer. He has always been a lousy fielder. Even if you ignore the steroid issue, his persona was lousy from the first season he played. As an all-around baseball player, I think he is one of the best twenty-five of all time, but I don't know how you put him at a top ten with his defensive flaws.

There are so many aspects to baseball. Barry is a great power hitter, great base-stealer, great offensive producer. He has always been a lousy fielder. Even if you ignore the steroid issue, his persona was lousy from the first season he played. As an all-around baseball player, I think he is one of the best twenty-five of all time, but I don't know how you put him at a top ten with his defensive flaws.

How can you say he is not a good fielder?

8-Time Gold Glove winner for NL Outfielder (1990-94, 1996-98)

How can you say he is not a good fielder?

8-Time Gold Glove winner for NL Outfielder (1990-94, 1996-98)

Gold Gloves are overatted anyhow(IMO), they get set on giving them to one person anyhow. Well, if you have watched him play you can most-likely say that.

I can't stand "Balco Barry" but I will say that he will definately go down as one of the all time best. The thing that gets me is that he was H.O.F. before he decided to "juice" and would had went down as one of the greatest w/o any asteriks by his name or accomplishments. Imo he is a class A jerk of a person, ego maniac and liar. One of the greatest baseball players of all time -- NO DOUBT! I cannot put him in the category of some of the all time greats in my mind though just bc of all the "roids".

Gold Gloves are overatted anyhow(IMO), they get set on giving them to one person anyhow. Well, if you have watched him play you can most-likely say that.

Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente are the only NL players to win more(12) and only 1 AL player has won more and that's Ken Griffey Jr (10) and those were all with Seattle.

American baseball, the Rawlings Gold Glove Award, usually referred to simply as the Gold Glove, is the award annually given to the major league player judged to be the most "superior individual fielding performance" at each position (in each league), as voted by the managers and coaches in each league.[1] Managers are not allowed to vote for their own players.[1] Eighteen Gold Gloves are awarded each year, one at each of nine positions to a player in both the National League and American League.

Note: The term "at each position" is not strictly accurate. Three outfielders are selected, but the award does not distinguish among left, center, and right fielders. Some critics have long called for awarding a single Gold Glove for each individual outfield position, arguing that the three outfield positions are not equivalent defensively.

Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente are the only NL players to win more(12) and only 1 AL player has won more and that's Ken Griffey Jr (10) and those were all with Seattle.

American baseball, the Rawlings Gold Glove Award, usually referred to simply as the Gold Glove, is the award annually given to the major league player judged to be the most "superior individual fielding performance" at each position (in each league), as voted by the managers and coaches in each league.[1] Managers are not allowed to vote for their own players.[1] Eighteen Gold Gloves are awarded each year, one at each of nine positions to a player in both the National League and American League.

Note: The term "at each position" is not strictly accurate. Three outfielders are selected, but the award does not distinguish among left, center, and right fielders. Some critics have long called for awarding a single Gold Glove for each individual outfield position, arguing that the three outfield positions are not equivalent defensively.

That just made my stomach turn!!!!!! Bonds should be no where around the talks of these guys, these are the best fielders ever and IMO Bonds is not even into the parking lot with these guys.

That just made my stomach turn!!!!!! Bonds should be no where around the talks of these guys, these are the best fielders ever and IMO Bonds is not even into the parking lot with these guys.

Here's something else I dug up, just for fun:D You guys can say what you want but his numbers are as good fielding as they are hitting compared to what is considered the best. I'm not a huge Bonds fan for the record. But if you want to say he isn't a good defensive player, you should remove these names from you list too.

Player Fielding % Errors

Barry Bonds .984 93

Willie Mays .981 121

Ken Griffey Jr .986 76

Joe DiMaggio .984 105

Roberto Clemente .972 142

Babe Ruth .965 86

Ty Cobb .961 113

Actually Al Kaline won ten gold gloves as well, all with the Detroit Tigers. I would put Barry in the top 15 for sure but I cannot put him ahead of Mays, Ruth, Aaron and Mantle for sure. Funny thing is that Bonds was a more complete player before the roids; he could steal bases, was a much better base runner, covered more ground in the outfield as well. His attitude hurts himself with people but even someone that cannot stand him, such as myself, has to put him in the top 15 somewhere.

Player Fielding % Errors

Barry Bonds .984 93

Willie Mays .981 121

Ken Griffey Jr .986 76

Joe DiMaggio .984 105

Babe Ruth .965 86

Ty Cobb .961 113

Other than maybe Cobb, Bonds arm was much weaker than any of these players and Bonds probably covered less area than any of these players, including Ruth. Keep in mind that although Ruth did not play centerfield he played many years in the Polo Grounds which was huge.

Actually Al Kaline won ten gold gloves as well, all with the Detroit Tigers. I would put Barry in the top 15 for sure but I cannot put him ahead of Mays, Ruth, Aaron and Mantle for sure. Funny thing is that Bonds was a more complete player before the roids; he could steal bases, was a much better base runner, covered more ground in the outfield as well. His attitude hurts himself with people but even someone that cannot stand him, such as myself, has to put him in the top 15 somewhere.

I got all that info from wikedpedia links, my apologies I just missed his name, none the less. Bonds is in good company. My point basically is statistically he's as good as what is considered the best. The only thing that differes from those guys is the public opinion.

Player Fielding % Errors

Barry Bonds .984 93

Willie Mays .981 121

Ken Griffey Jr .986 76

Joe DiMaggio .984 105

Babe Ruth .965 86

Ty Cobb .961 113

Other than maybe Cobb, Bonds arm was much weaker than any of these players and Bonds probably covered less area than any of these players, including Ruth. Keep in mind that although Ruth did not play centerfield he played many years in the Polo Grounds which was huge.

Arm strength doesn't have much to do with being able to field a ball, I'm not saying your right or wrong. I'm just getting to the point to say he's not among the best defensivly is far from the truth. In baseball, everything is counted and totalled and subtracted and divided and added and multiplied and percentaged. Your not judged by your arm strength or if you played on turf or cow pasture. It's all about the numbers and his numbers rank him among the best defensivly and when he's done probably the best offensivly.