Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Musky fishing

Featured Replies

I've been a musky nut for about 20 years. Always looking for partners in the fall/winter. I spend my summers chasing them in canada. Leaving july 4th for 10 days , then july 19th for a week. I've fished nearly hole in kinney(Lewis co.) most of Tygart, some Little Sandy, most of Brush Creek (out back of portsmouth) and fish the Cave occasionally. Send me a PM if you ever want to hook up. LB

  • Replies 31
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Muskie fishing in Mercer, WI, was outstanding. The weather was nice an cool, upper 60's for day time highs and lower 50's for over night lows. We had 18 people fish in 9 boats with guides. Over the three days of fishing, 9 Muskie were caught and numerous (45) Northern Pike, (10) small mouth bass, (3) large mouth bass and (5) perch. My catch was as follows:

 

Day 1 => 25.5" Northern Pike (ended up being tied for largest Pike..)

23" Northern Pike

16" Small Mouth Bass

 

Day 2 => 23" Northern Pike

19" Northern Pike

16" Northern Pike

6" Perch

12.5 " Walleye

 

Day 3 => 37" Muskie

5 Northern Pike

 

We had a contest for largest fish in several categories and the winners were as follows:

 

Muskie 46.5 "

Northern Pike 25.5 "

Large Mouth Bass 19"

Small Mouth Bass 19.5"

Walleye 18.5 "

 

I was quite tickled to get a Muskie on my first trip. Many folks fish 10 plus years and never catch one..... In case you are wondering, all fish were catch and release.

 

:dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa

^

Congrats on catching your first musky. Is it a safe bet to say you are now "hooked"? :lol:

Yes.....

 

Used a Boonie bait and a Suiet(sp?). The Boonie bait are essentially spinner baits with some modification to allow them to get through the weeds with ease. Musky, Pike and Bass all hit this bait.... They are hand made by a man who holds the record for largest musky on small tackle. Bill Grasser (sp?)

Yes.....

 

Used a Boonie bait and a Suiet(sp?). The Boonie bait are essentially spinner baits with some modification to allow them to get through the weeds with ease. Musky, Pike and Bass all hit this bait.... They are hand made by a man who holds the record for largest musky on small tackle. Bill Grasser (sp?)

:thumb: If you get the chance you will have to give Cave Run a try. Plenty of big musky to be caught.

I have never been to Cave Run Lake. I hear the camping is really good and now a report that the Musky fishing is great...!!! I just might be checking this place out this fall....

I have never been to Cave Run Lake. I hear the camping is really good and now a report that the Musky fishing is great...!!! I just might be checking this place out this fall....

:thumb:

I have never been to Cave Run Lake. I hear the camping is really good and now a report that the Musky fishing is great...!!! I just might be checking this place out this fall....

Fall is a great time to fish Cave Run!! :thumb: Enjoy.............. Great time of the year to fish plus the area is especially beautiful in the fall with it being surronded by the Daniel Boone National Forrest.

  • Author
I have never been to Cave Run Lake. I hear the camping is really good and now a report that the Musky fishing is great...!!! I just might be checking this place out this fall....

 

Camping is great here, IMO the Zilpo side is the nicer of the campgrounds but the Twin Knobs side is the more convenient.

Camping is great here, IMO the Zilpo side is the nicer of the campgrounds but the Twin Knobs side is the more convenient.

My cabin is a great place and the camp cook is great.:D

  • Author
My cabin is a great place and the camp cook is great.:D

 

 

Sounds like you might have the best crib in the whole area to hang out at...need any company?:lol:

Sounds like you might have the best crib in the whole area to hang out at...need any company?:lol:

I don't know about the best but it sure carries some great memories. It also saves us from some long drives back home after hunting or fishing all day.

The house was built by my dad from the foundation up without using electricity. Every board was cut with a hand saw. The windows were cut out with a chainsaw. Electricity was not available until the house was under roof.

PS.. when I am there the Welcome sign is always on.

I have never caught, nor went fishing for musky.From what I hear though, there is no better fighting freshwater fish.

^ There is quite a fight with a muskie for sure and just the size of the fish alone tells you that they are fun to catch. But...................pound for pound - ounce for ounce imo the smallmouth bass is one of if not the toughest fighting fish that swims. (freshwater)

^ There is quite a fight with a muskie for sure and just the size of the fish alone tells you that they are fun to catch. But...................pound for pound - ounce for ounce imo the smallmouth bass is one of if not the toughest fighting fish that swims. (freshwater)

I was about to say, it takes alot in my mind to dethrone smallmouth.

 

How does a musky fight compare to a striper?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.