March 28, 200719 yr Recruits weigh in 1. Can we please, finally, put to bed this myth that Lucas and Patterson were going to commit to UK at the McDonalds game? Smith's move to Minnesota caught Patterson and Lucas by surprise. The two had considered making a joint commitment to Kentucky while here, McDonald's spokesman Jeff Olson said. But Lucas' father, John, told game officials last week to pull the plug on such an announcement. The players were not ready to make a decision. 2. Can we stop overstating these two players love for Tubby Smith? "He (David Hobbs) said he feels I still should go to Kentucky," Patterson said. "It's still a great basketball school despite Coach Smith leaving. "It's true. It's a great school with or without Coach Smith. Everything is still there at Kentucky." After being hired by Minnesota, Smith tried to recruit Lucas to the Golden Gophers. "He told me the situation and the direction he wants to take Minnesota," Lucas said. "It sounded good." Lucas was unsure whether he might now consider Minnesota. Patterson was sure he would not. "Oh no, not at all," he said. "There's not a chance of me going all that way. Too cold." If these guys were so enamored with Smith, as some claim, it seems he would have at least gotten more than a lukewarm "maybe" from Lucas and a definite "No" from Patterson. Besides that, it looks like UK may have a better chance to land these guys than the doomsdayers were initially reporting...it all depends on who our new coach is and if we can get him in time to make an impression on these two. As I used to read on here frequently, maybe the sky isn't falling after all...so far no one has transferred and Patterson and Lucas are still considering UK. Morris is gone, but he would have left anyway. Best I can tell, we're exactly where we'd have been had Tubby stayed on.
March 28, 200719 yr Recruits weigh in 1. Can we please, finally, put to bed this myth that Lucas and Patterson were going to commit to UK at the McDonalds game? Smith's move to Minnesota caught Patterson and Lucas by surprise. The two had considered making a joint commitment to Kentucky while here, McDonald's spokesman Jeff Olson said. But Lucas' father, John, told game officials last week to pull the plug on such an announcement. The players were not ready to make a decision. 2. Can we stop overstating these two players love for Tubby Smith? "He (David Hobbs) said he feels I still should go to Kentucky," Patterson said. "It's still a great basketball school despite Coach Smith leaving. "It's true. It's a great school with or without Coach Smith. Everything is still there at Kentucky." After being hired by Minnesota, Smith tried to recruit Lucas to the Golden Gophers. "He told me the situation and the direction he wants to take Minnesota," Lucas said. "It sounded good." Lucas was unsure whether he might now consider Minnesota. Patterson was sure he would not. "Oh no, not at all," he said. "There's not a chance of me going all that way. Too cold." If these guys were so enamored with Smith, as some claim, it seems he would have at least gotten more than a lukewarm "maybe" from Lucas and a definite "No" from Patterson. Besides that, it looks like UK may have a better chance to land these guys than the doomsdayers were initially reporting...it all depends on who our new coach is and if we can get him in time to make an impression on these two. As I used to read on here frequently, maybe the sky isn't falling after all...so far no one has transferred and Patterson and Lucas are still considering UK. Morris is gone, but he would have left anyway. Best I can tell, we're exactly where we'd have been had Tubby stayed on. The way I interpreted the article is that Lucas and Patterson were going to commit to UK at the McDonalds game, but changed their mind. The question here is did they change their mind before or after Tubby decided to go to Minnesota? I think that if Tubby was going to be coach they would come to UK. I also think that if Donovan is named coach they will come to UK.
March 28, 200719 yr Author Can we stop talking about your hatred for Tubby Smith? You can start anytime....I never said I hated Tubby Smith. My post wasn't abstract poetry to be interpreted however the reader saw fit...I was presenting some facts that are contrary to some things that have been posted on here in the past week. If you don't like them, don't take it out on me.
March 28, 200719 yr Author The way I interpreted the article is that Lucas and Patterson were going to commit to UK at the McDonalds game, but changed their mind. The question here is did they change their mind before or after Tubby decided to go to Minnesota? I think that if Tubby was going to be coach they would come to UK. I also think that if Donovan is named coach they will come to UK. That's why I highlighted the word considered...to me, that implies just that...they were considering it. It wasn't a done deal, which has been strongly implied to me on several occasions. Also, assuming this article was written yesterday or today, it says Lucas told them a week ago that the players weren't ready to decided...that would put the date before Tubby was leaving Minnesota. Their lack of interest in following Tubby to Minnesota and the fact that UK is still on their list could lead a person to believe that the school is a little more important than some would care to admit.
March 28, 200719 yr That's why I highlighted the word considered...to me, that implies just that...they were considering it. It wasn't a done deal, which has been strongly implied to me on several occasions. Also, assuming this article was written yesterday or today, it says Lucas told them a week ago that the players weren't ready to decided...that would put the date before Tubby was leaving Minnesota. Their lack of interest in following Tubby to Minnesota and the fact that UK is still on their list could lead a person to believe that the school is a little more important than some would care to admit. I think you read this article, and tried to take things in away to try to help you out with the whole article thing...Yeah they used the word "considered" making that joint announcement. But do you think they would go out and just say yeah we definitely were going there, and make the other coaches know who now are still recruiting them that they weren't going to go to their school? Also yeah usually when something has already been done for even just 5 or 6 days, alot of people usually just say a week ago. However that is something that me or you can not know for sure if it was after or before Tubby leaving that Lucas decided to say that... As for Patterson yeah he liked Smith, but just because he liked Smith doesn't mean he would want to go to a smaller school who is not a top notch school. So no matter how much he liked Smith, it was kind of obvious he wouldn't go there, because why would he go to Minnesota when you could go to another top notch basketball program still...For Lucas he even said the situation sounded good in Minnesota, and wasn't sure about considering it. But I think that also shows that Tubby had alot to do with him coming here. Now will he end up going to Minnesota most likely not, because of the same reasons why I said for patterson... So pretty much your article does nothing here AT ALL, to suggest that they didn't love Tubby that much like you tried to say with this article...
March 28, 200719 yr Author I think you read this article, and tried to take things in away to try to help you out with the whole article thing...Yeah they used the word "considered" making that joint announcement. But do you think they would go out and just say yeah we definitely were going there, and make the other coaches know who now are still recruiting them that they weren't going to go to their school? Also yeah usually when something has already been done for even just 5 or 6 days, alot of people usually just say a week ago. However that is something that me or you can not know for sure if it was after or before Tubby leaving that Lucas decided to say that... As for Patterson yeah he liked Smith, but just because he liked Smith doesn't mean he would want to go to a smaller school who is not a top notch school. So no matter how much he liked Smith, it was kind of obvious he wouldn't go there, because why would he go to Minnesota when you could go to another top notch basketball program still...For Lucas he even said the situation sounded good in Minnesota, and wasn't sure about considering it. But I think that also shows that Tubby had alot to do with him coming here. Now will he end up going to Minnesota most likely not, because of the same reasons why I said for patterson... So pretty much your article does nothing here AT ALL, to suggest that they didn't love Tubby that much like you tried to say with this article... It's there in black and white...interpret it anyway you choose to.
March 28, 200719 yr It's there in black and white...interpret it anyway you choose to. I just read that article again, and now I am pretty sure actually that it was after they found out about Smith they decided to pull the plug...
March 28, 200719 yr WOW! How can people get two different things out of the same article! I didn't read it but futurecoach and the other guy are getting two different interpretations and it is FUNNY! keep it up, I needed a good laugh.
March 28, 200719 yr WOW! How can people get two different things out of the same article! I didn't read it but futurecoach and the other guy are getting two different interpretations and it is FUNNY! keep it up, I needed a good laugh. I glad you said my name, instead of saying the other guy...:lol: :thumb:
March 28, 200719 yr Of course neither of these 2 will commit to UK until they find out who the coach is. If it is Billy Donovan, then I see UK having a good chance of landing both recruits. But they are just as clueless as the rest of us are. They could sign a LOI to come to UK and next thing you know Barnhart hires someone like Kyle Macy, and they are stuck!!! We will all find out about these 2 recruits and who our new coach is going to be here in a couple of weeks!!:thumb:
March 28, 200719 yr Can we stop talking about your hatred for Tubby Smith? It's amazing to me when every time someone puts up facts about Tubby Smith's negatives at UK, everyone says they hate Tubby blah blah blah. Tubby lost 13 games last year and 12 this. To put it in retrospect, Matt Doherty lost 16, only 3 more, the year he was fired. Does that mean the North Carolina program are prejudice against white people and they hate Matt Doherty. No. The North Carolina program fired a coach who wasn't getting the job done at a premiere program, and like it or not, KY, at least used to be a premiere program, and Tubby wasn't getting the job done there. I don't know why people just can't accept that. For the love of Pete man, he's happy now, the UK fans are happy now, let's just drop it.
March 28, 200719 yr It's amazing to me when every time someone puts up facts about Tubby Smith's negatives at UK, everyone says they hate Tubby blah blah blah. Tubby lost 13 games last year and 12 this. To put it in retrospect, Matt Doherty lost 16, only 3 more, the year he was fired. Does that mean the North Carolina program are prejudice against white people and they hate Matt Doherty. No. The North Carolina program fired a coach who wasn't getting the job done at a premiere program, and like it or not, KY, at least used to be a premiere program, and Tubby wasn't getting the job done there. I don't know why people just can't accept that. For the love of Pete man, he's happy now, the UK fans are happy now, let's just drop it. I believe dropping it was his point, but, once again, someone had to take another stab...For the record, Matt Dougherty had 6 McDonald All Americans on that team that lost 16 games....Tubby never had more than 3 on any one team....Now you can look at this 3 ways, 1) He was a worse recruiter or 2) He gets more out of his players or 3) both 1 and 2...I feel #3 is pretty accurate, but, he could coach circles around Dougherty, so, i wouldn't compare the 2...
March 29, 200719 yr I believe dropping it was his point, but, once again, someone had to take another stab...For the record, Matt Dougherty had 6 McDonald All Americans on that team that lost 16 games....Tubby never had more than 3 on any one team....Now you can look at this 3 ways, 1) He was a worse recruiter or 2) He gets more out of his players or 3) both 1 and 2...I feel #3 is pretty accurate, but, he could coach circles around Dougherty, so, i wouldn't compare the 2... Not comparing those two, but Bill Guthridge went to more final fours in three years than Tubby did his whole career and UNC ran him out of town. I don't recall the media having public heart attacks about that one. Now I'll drop it......like it's hot. :walk:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.