March 25, 200719 yr He is currently commited to Florida and is a 6'5 shooting guard, and a McDonalds All- American. My cousin had a media pass to their practice today and talked to all the players including Lucas and Patterson...When he asked Calathes about the Billy D situation he simply told him he will follow Billy D if he does happen to go to UK...That can be a HUGE pick- up for the Cats because this kid is a pure shooter... On a side not he also said Lucas is a VERY classy guy and talked to him for a while and he had a lot of good things to say about UK. Also John Lucas was there working with Jai and O.J. on their jumpers...Please Jai make the right choice and choose the Cats...
March 26, 200719 yr Wishfull thinking... Star would follow Donovan to UK McDonald's All American Nick Calathes said he could wind up at the University of Kentucky if UK hires Florida coach Billy Donovan to replace Tubby Smith. "I've been hearing a lot of rumors since I have been here," said Calathes, who has signed with the Gators. "If he comes to Kentucky, then I will come with him. I will definitely follow him wherever he goes." Meanwhile, he will be busy this week not only playing in the McDonald's All American game but also recruiting. The 6-foot-6 star from Casselberry (Fla.) Lake Howell, who averaged 28 points, eight rebounds and six assists a game, said he's trying to lure unsigned recruit Patrick Patterson to the Gators. Patterson, who also is considering UK, Duke, Virginia, West Virginia and Wake Forest, is rated the top unsigned player in the nation by recruiting experts. "He's the final piece to our puzzle right now," Calathes said. "If we got him, we would have the No. 1 recruiting class in the country." -- Jody Demling
March 26, 200719 yr According to Rivals, he has signed an LOI, I don't believe that UF would release him to play for another SEC school. Maybe I'm wrong.
March 26, 200719 yr According to Rivals, he has signed an LOI, I don't believe that UF would release him to play for another SEC school. Maybe I'm wrong. Isn't it pretty much standard practice to let kids out of LOIs when there is a coaching change? Granted they may play hardball since he'd be going to a school in the same division.
March 26, 200719 yr Isn't it pretty much standard practice to let kids out of LOIs when there is a coaching change? Granted they may play hardball since he'd be going to a school in the same division. I think that it is but it seems like I've read about other cases where the school puts restrictions about transferring into the same conference.
March 26, 200719 yr I think that it is but it seems like I've read about other cases where the school puts restrictions about transferring into the same conference.:thumb:
March 26, 200719 yr Author I'm pretty sure since the player signed a LOI to play for Billy D then he will have a option to go to another school or stay at Florida...
March 26, 200719 yr I'm pretty sure since the player signed a LOI to play for Billy D then he will have a option to go to another school or stay at Florida... Only if UF agrees to release him from the LOI. Most schools will, but they don't have to. Sometimes the student athlete gets screwed.
March 26, 200719 yr I'm pretty sure since the player signed a LOI to play for Billy D then he will have a option to go to another school or stay at Florida...Your LOI is for a school, not a coach. Even if you're going to a school to play for a coach, the LOI binds you to the school.
March 26, 200719 yr Your LOI is for a school, not a coach. Even if you're going to a school to play for a coach, the LOI binds you to the school. True, but guys are typically let out of LOI's after a coaching change. Do you really want a kid that absolutely doesn't want to be at your school? Now whether they would release him to play at UK is another matter. As adament as the kid sounds, he may not mind sitting out a year to follow Billy if it came to it.
March 26, 200719 yr I would hope that Florida would not do that to a kid...Why wouldn't they. IF they lose their coach to a division rival, they aren't letting him take signed players with him. Calathes wouldn't exactly end up on the streets, either, he could sign elsewhere. Just not UK.
March 26, 200719 yr True, but guys are typically let out of LOI's after a coaching change. Do you really want a kid that absolutely doesn't want to be at your school? Now whether they would release him to play at UK is another matter. As adament as the kid sounds, he may not mind sitting out a year to follow Billy if it came to it. They would absolutely release the kid. Just not to UK.
March 26, 200719 yr Would be a great pickup, but still wouldn't help us out inside. If Billy D comes, he follows, as well as Patterson, then we will be in business. If this scenario were to play out we would be better next season instead of worst. However, even though its possible he comes with Billy D (being he comes to Kentucky) it still doesn't aid our need inside.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.