Russell 56 Rowan Co. 38

Russell did a good job of defending the interior and the Vikings went cold from outside. 4-9 from behind the arc at halftime, 4-23 for the game...I'll let you do the math. Okoro went for 21 points and 11 rebounds (the only Devil with a double-double), Fortman finished with 15 and Simpson added 13.

IMO, the officials called a fairly consistent game with missed calls both ways. When you play physical defense, a la Rowan County, you can't expect to get by with the handchecks and grabbing while the other team gets whistled for every little bump. You can't have it both ways in a well officiated game, just accept the fouls you get whistled for and be happy with what you do get by with.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell did a good job of defending the interior and the Vikings went cold from outside. 4-9 from behind the arc at halftime, 4-23 for the game...I'll let you do the math. Okoro went for 21 points and 11 rebounds (the only Devil with a double-double), Fortman finished with 15 and Simpson added 13.

IMO, the officials called a fairly consistent game with missed calls both ways. When you play physical defense, a la Rowan County, you can't expect to get by with the handchecks and grabbing while the other team gets whistled for every little bump. You can't have it both ways in a well officiated game, just accept the fouls you get whistled for and be happy with what you do get by with.

The better team won tonight and it was definately consistent - consistently bad. The number of missed calls in this game - with 3 officials - is just unacceptable in organized basketball.

When you get off 67 shots and committ 12 fewer turnovers than your opponent, the refs didn't cost you the game.

For the third time, noone has said that the refs cost Rowan the game. The refs are no excuse for cold shooting. But the bottom line is that there is no excuse for these refs to ever ref another high school game.

"I pray... that the referees don't gang up to beat Rose Hill". Seem like I read that post a little earlier in the day. Maybe the prayer should have been for the referees not to gang up on Rowan Co, or that center for Russell wouldn't be so mean to our players!

Please, lets give Russell their due, that they're a darn good team. Going to be hard to beat for anyone. Rowan has a nice team and a good coach, but Russell is definetly the better team tonight. Period.

"I pray... that the referees don't gang up to beat Rose Hill". Seem like I read that post a little earlier in the day. Maybe the prayer should have been for the referees not to gang up on Rowan Co, or that center for Russell wouldn't be so mean to our players!

Please, lets give Russell their due, that they're a darn good team. Going to be hard to beat for anyone. Rowan has a nice team and a good coach, but Russell is definetly the better team tonight. Period.

As we have all stated for the last 40 posts.

Just wanted to compliment GORadio for the coverage of the tourney so far. You guys are doing a great job!

Man, it's tough when you go cold from the field like Rowan did. It's a helpless feeling when nothing will fall.

Thanks BG Will! I love my job. I was kind of disappointed that the Russell radio crew did not do this game. It was billed as a big matchup and they didn't carry the game. Girls basketball is a hard sale, I know, but we don't do what we do for the money, we do it for the kids. We make very little, if anything, on the girls regional tourney, but I have as much fun doing those games, if not more, as the boys. Some stations just see $$$$$ I guess.

Again, thanks for the kind words and keep listening!

I was there and I did not see the same game MSU Eagles saw. Rowan is as aggressive and physical as any team I have seen. I now understand how they could have had 53 fouls called in a game earlier this year.

I was there and I did not see the same game MSU Eagles saw. Rowan is as aggressive and physical as any team I have seen. I now understand how they could have had 53 fouls called in a game earlier this year.

Ok, then call the fouls. I'm not saying Rowan got screwed, I'm saying that the refs were terrible.

And you have said it ten times!!!

Oh yeah, I saw the game!

I keep saying because everyone keeps saying I'm whining because my school lost. That's not what I'm trying to say at all. If anyone on here that watched the game can honestly say there was a good officiating crew working this game, then I'll shut up.

I keep saying because everyone keeps saying I'm whining because my school lost. That's not what I'm trying to say at all. If anyone on here that watched the game can honestly say there was a good officiating crew working this game, then I'll shut up.

If that is all it would have taken, I would have said it 3 hrs ago.

Guest American Skier

MSU Eagle: Did the refs cause Rowan County to shoot 19% from the field. Did the refs cause RC to only score 2 points in the third quarter? Did the refs cause RC to shoot 4 airballs from 3 point land in the 3rd quarter? Did the refs cause Russell to shoot 55% from the field. Give credit to the where it is due. The lady devils shoot the ball better and despite the hard play and hustle from the RC girls the lady devils stepped up. Congratulations to both teams on a great season. However, do not blame this loss on the refs!!