Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best JV team in the state?

Featured Replies

Just wondering about your opion on the best Junior Varsity team in Kentucky

The only problem with picking the best JV team in the state, is that a lot of teams rosters get shaken up during the season. At our school, at couple of kids that were playing JV are now solely playing on the varsity squad now. So at some schools, a kids success can actually hurt a JV team.

Impossible to determine IMO. And even if you could, who really cares?

 

Wow--Give the newcomer a break Stallion??

 

Obviously a tough one to answer, due to ever-changing rosters? I'd say whoever plays the most Varsity players on a given night!! :D

Impossible to determine IMO. And even if you could, who really cares?
Numerous participants, coaches, fans and upcoming student-athletes.
Numerous participants, coaches, fans and upcoming student-athletes.

 

 

Good reply!

 

It is difficult to gauge who is best, as previously mentioned, because the roster on JV can be fluid for many different reasons. Also, if JV teams were ranked, etc. that could be counter-productive to player development which I would think is the focus of JV. It is easy to see at our school's varsity the "win now" attitude at the expense of development of younger players. I would guess different coaches have different attitudes about whether it is more valuable for the starters to play every minute. But at least there is JV left for the younger players to get game exposure.

 

I would like to see, at least at our school, some feedback regarding the scores, etc. of JV games. They don't even maintain them on the web site.

What I'm waiting to hear about on ESPN or some sports place is a college getting in trouble for staking out the local pre-school eyeing talent.

 

There was just a thread on the 7th grade state title, it's amazing how young it starts and how competitive it is. I'm sure A LOT of states are like Kentucky, but it really blows me away how seriously basketball is taken in this state at all levels. Not that I mind, I'm just saying. : )

 

To answer the thread title in 2 thousand words or less, I would agree with what's been said. Guys can be taken off the team to go to varsity and so if that JV team loses its best player, their record may suffer.

When my son was on JV I cared very much, and I would hope every program cared. In the words of Adolph Rupp, when asked about the phrase "it doesn't matter who wins or looses, it's how you play the game", Rupp was quick to respond "Then why the *#/% do we have a score board". Everyone measures their success by their piers, therefore, people do care who the top JV team.

In thinking about this a little more....hopefully not getting off topic.

 

Something I liked about the summer team camps and tournaments is that a school could have two teams in the camps and tourneys and choose the competition level. Our school put in an A and B team in most of the tournaments. The A did better, but kids on the B team got valuable varsity level experience. Also the B team was better than the only team from a number of the other schools.

 

What if the regular season were like that, except maybe rosters were fixed? After all, are school and varsity sports for and about the kids or about the coaches?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.