Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Transfer portal and NIL’s effects on mid-majors

Featured Replies

5 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Have the courts ruled on players being able to transfer and be immediately eligible before? I'm not sure what grounds they would shoot it down.

I believe college athletes have basically moved to the employee category on the legal side of things. There were lawsuits on NIL. You even have unionization efforts. Things are the way they are now because colleges and the NCAA know they can't win in the courts.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I believe college athletes have basically moved to the employee category on the legal side of things. There were lawsuits on NIL. You even have unionization efforts. Things are the way they are now because colleges and the NCAA know they can't win in the courts.

True, but the NCAA still controls eligibility of players to participate. I don't see the courts changing that. Otherwise we could see athletes competing for 5, 6, 10 years or more in college. 

Pro sports are unionized yet the leagues still rule players ineligible and in some cases have blocked trades and free agent signings. The NCAA, while weakened greatly, still has the power to control eligibility if it's member athletes. 

16 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I'd like to see the following changes made to the current transfer rules.

1) Every player gets a free transfer with no sit out period giving them immediate eligibility, if they have spent two full seasons at school.

2) Players may receive a free transfer at any time if their head coach leaves the school for any reason.

3) Other than #1 and #2 above, all other transfers will have to sit out a full season before being eligible to play for their new school.

Addition of rule 3 would hopefully temper the current madness of the transfer portal each year.

I really like those ideas. Only thing I would change would be say if a player didn't receive any NIL money, then they don't have to wait two years before having a free transfer. If a player goes to a small school and doesn't get any NIL money and balls out. They shouldn't have to wait those first two years of college before getting to capitalize on it. If a player gets an NIL deal going into their freshman year, then it basically becomes a two year contract type deal where they have to stay until after their sophomore season, Then after their sophomore year, they can shop for a bigger and better NIL deal. Or if they do leave after freshman year, then they do have to sit out a year.  I think no matter what after their sophomore year, they should be allowed to transfer though for free at any point. Trying to get players to at least have to commit to the first two years at a school out of high school would be a good move IMO if they get an NIL coming into their freshman year. If a player doesn't want to have to wait until their sophomore season to transfer, then don't sign a NIL deal as a freshman and bet on yourself and then have your free transfer right after your freshman year. 

54 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I really like those ideas. Only thing I would change would be say if a player didn't receive any NIL money, then they don't have to wait two years before having a free transfer. If a player goes to a small school and doesn't get any NIL money and balls out. They shouldn't have to wait those first two years of college before getting to capitalize on it. If a player gets an NIL deal going into their freshman year, then it basically becomes a two year contract type deal where they have to stay until after their sophomore season, Then after their sophomore year, they can shop for a bigger and better NIL deal. Or if they do leave after freshman year, then they do have to sit out a year.  I think no matter what after their sophomore year, they should be allowed to transfer though for free at any point. Trying to get players to at least have to commit to the first two years at a school out of high school would be a good move IMO if they get an NIL coming into their freshman year. If a player doesn't want to have to wait until their sophomore season to transfer, then don't sign a NIL deal as a freshman and bet on yourself and then have your free transfer right after your freshman year. 

NIL horse is out of the barn, it will not be regulated in any substantive way.

7 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

NIL horse is out of the barn, it will not be regulated in any substantive way.

Never once said anything about regulating it. Just saying if you sign any NIL type of deal going into freshman year, it becomes likes a two year contract type of thing. Where you can make as much money on NIL as you want, but you must stay at that school for at least the first two years. If you do transfer after your freshman year, then you have to sit out a year. 

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Never once said anything about regulating it. Just saying if you sign any NIL type of deal going into freshman year, it becomes likes a two year contract type of thing. Where you can make as much money on NIL as you want, but you must stay at that school for at least the first two years. If you do transfer after your freshman year, then you have to sit out a year. 

I just don't think signing an NIL deal with a third party can be used to tie one to a school. You could limit transfers as I posted earlier, I just don't think you could limit them based on an NIL component. 

7 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I just don't think signing an NIL deal with a third party can be used to tie one to a school. You could limit transfers as I posted earlier, I just don't think you could limit them based on an NIL component. 

It is not much different than what you originally posted of a free transfer after they been at a school for two years. I'm just saying getting an NIL deal going into your freshman year is what initiates that having to stay for two years before getting that free transfer. The only change basically I included was IF they don't have an NIL deal going into their freshman year, they don't have to do the stay for two years before having a free transfer. Basically allows those small school players that maybe didn't get an NIL deal to be able to transfer after one year without having to sit out, this way they can capitalize now on probably being able to get an NIL deal if they have a good freshman year. 

3 hours ago, futurecoach said:

It is not much different than what you originally posted of a free transfer after they been at a school for two years. I'm just saying getting an NIL deal going into your freshman year is what initiates that having to stay for two years before getting that free transfer. The only change basically I included was IF they don't have an NIL deal going into their freshman year, they don't have to do the stay for two years before having a free transfer. Basically allows those small school players that maybe didn't get an NIL deal to be able to transfer after one year without having to sit out, this way they can capitalize now on probably being able to get an NIL deal if they have a good freshman year. 

I get what you're saying that you'd like to have happen. 

You can achieve the same thing by putting my transfer portal plan in place and not worry about NIL.

6 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I get what you're saying that you'd like to have happen. 

You can achieve the same thing by putting my transfer portal plan in place and not worry about NIL.

I know. I’m actually trying to help get players to still have a chance to benefit from NIL. If they were a rather unknown recruit and ended up at a small school and didn’t get an NIL deal. This would allow them an opportunity to benefit if they blow up and transfer right away so they can make money and not be stuck at that small school for a second year not making anything. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.