JCPS breaks ground on new school for W.E.B Dubois Academy

• Tigerpride94 changed the title to JCPS breaks ground on new school for W.E.B Dubois Academy
36 minutes ago, theguru said:

Serious question, will JCPS bus students to this school?

It's not a resides school so under current plan no but who knows for sure since their plan is subject to change.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

It's not a resides school so under current plan no but who knows for sure since their plan is subject to change.

I have a feeling they will eventually.  Under their current proposed plan, they will cut bussing to any traditional or magnet high school where under 75% of the student population are eligible for free or reduced lunch.  I believe it would leave only Central and Western, who is becoming a magnet school as of next year, as having transportation.  They also proposed doing it for K-12 that way & also just magnet or traditional schools that weren’t high schools, so just elementary & MS.  I believe, but not sure, WEB DuBois would fall in the same category as Central & Western, but we’ll see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the renderings and reporting I saw, they're building the new school between the Unseld Learning Academy and Thomas Jefferson Middle School off of Poplar Level Road. Three story classroom wing, and then a separate wing for what appears to be two gymnasiums. I didn't see any plot plans, so I'm not sure what the plans are for an athletic stadium, but it appears that they are building the school on the current site of the (very dilapidated) baseball and football fields for Thomas Jefferson Middle School.

4nC4wx2.jpeg

yXa3Xrf.jpeg

bN5FOgZ.jpeg

cXqnRyj.jpeg