Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nick Petrino or Brad Savko

Featured Replies

I had an interesting discussion with a St. X fan today. He maintains that if Nick had started as a sophomore instead of Brad that Trinity would have had a better chance at taking the title 6 years in a row instead of 5 out of 6. I said that Brad waited his turn behind Brian and as a senior, he deserved to start. I think that Brad did a fine job. We just ran up against a good Dixie Heights team. Of course, we'll never know, but it's fun to kick around. Any thoughts?

Brad gave the Rocks their best chance in 04. If Brad would have had a serious injury he would have likely been backed up by Eric Senn. Brad did a fine job at QB during a difficult season. Dixie's TEAM defeated Trinity's TEAM in the playoffs and the rest is history. I look forward to seeing Brad have some success at WKU this season.:thumb:

  • Author
Brad gave the Rocks their best chance in 04. If Brad would have had a serious injury he would have likely been backed up by Eric Senn. Brad did a fine job at QB during a difficult season. Dixie's TEAM defeated Trinity's TEAM in the playoffs and the rest is history. I look forward to seeing Brad have some success at WKU this season.:thumb:

 

Me too. He's a fine young man.

You Trinity guys always talk about how great your coach is, so if he is that great, wouldn't he put the players on the field that he felt gave him the best chance to win. IMO to suggest that the team would have had a better chance to win a championship behind another QB is basically saying that your coach wasn't capable of figuring out who is best players were. Petrino could have matured and learned quite a bit about the position between his Soph and Jr. seasons. Maybe the coach had something to do about that as well.

  • Author
You Trinity guys always talk about how great your coach is, so if he is that great, wouldn't he put the players on the field that he felt gave him the best chance to win. IMO to suggest that the team would have had a better chance to win a championship behind another QB is basically saying that your coach wasn't capable of figuring out who is best players were. Petrino could have matured and learned quite a bit about the position between his Soph and Jr. seasons. Maybe the coach had something to do about that as well.

 

I think he did put the best QB on the field that year. Brad did a good job and Nick was ready the next season. I'm quite happy letting Coach Beatty decide who should play. He's a lot better at it than me. :D

I think he did put the best QB on the field that year. Brad did a good job and Nick was ready the next season. I'm quite happy letting Coach Beatty decide who should play. He's a lot better at it than me. :D

 

 

Well said! Many questioned Beatty putting Nick in as QB in 2005 instead of Eric Senn(myself included). Nick has proven himself time and again as has Beatty. There is no need for any of us to doubt Beatty's decisions. He makes the calls that he feels is best for the team overall and who am I to question him after 5 titles since he got there in 2000. In Beatty we trust. :thumb:

Brad gave the Rocks their best chance in 04. If Brad would have had a serious injury he would have likely been backed up by Eric Senn. Brad did a fine job at QB during a difficult season. Dixie's TEAM defeated Trinity's TEAM in the playoffs and the rest is history. I look forward to seeing Brad have some success at WKU this season.:thumb:

Perfect post.

Brad gave the Rocks their best chance in 04. If Brad would have had a serious injury he would have likely been backed up by Eric Senn. Brad did a fine job at QB during a difficult season. Dixie's TEAM defeated Trinity's TEAM in the playoffs and the rest is history. I look forward to seeing Brad have some success at WKU this season.:thumb:

 

 

FACT!:thumb: and IMO the assumption that Nick would have fared better is pretty ridiculous because he improved leaps and bounds between his Soph and Junior years. Such a statement is unfair to both Brad and Nick, again, IMO.

 

BTW-I know Brad was a standout baseball player too. Did he forego the rawhide altogether for the pigskin or is he still pursuing both? Fine young man and IMO one of the best grade-school QB's I have ever seen in this area while at St. Patrick. Of course, we didn't get a chance to see BB showcase his skills until 9th grade.

Savko, he waited his turn and knew the system very well. I've met Brad, and he's a great young man, from what little I've seen him in last years spring practice, he's one of the most poise QB's with great decision making skills. Of course he sat out this past season due to transferring. I hope he and Brandon Smith are given their fair shots over Mr. Overrated from Notre Dame.

Savko, he waited his turn and knew the system very well. I've met Brad, and he's a great young man, from what little I've seen him in last years spring practice, he's one of the most poise QB's with great decision making skills. Of course he sat out this past season due to transferring. I hope he and Brandon Smith are given their fair shots over Mr. Overrated from Notre Dame.

Or KJ Black?

FACT!:thumb: and IMO the assumption that Nick would have fared better is pretty ridiculous because he improved leaps and bounds between his Soph and Junior years. Such a statement is unfair to both Brad and Nick, again, IMO.

 

BTW-I know Brad was a standout baseball player too. Did he forego the rawhide altogether for the pigskin or is he still pursuing both? Fine young man and IMO one of the best grade-school QB's I have ever seen in this area while at St. Patrick. Of course, we didn't get a chance to see BB showcase his skills until 9th grade.

I've known the Savko family for 12 to 14 years. I consider them amoung some of my closest friends. Brad had orginally planned to play both Football and Baseball while at State. Much to his Dad's dismay, as his life long Baseball coach, he choose to focus on Football. Even in his transfer to WKU he made it perfectly clear he would be focused on Football. Great Kid. Great Family. I agree he was one of the best QB's St. Patrick has seen and for that matter CSAA.

Strike 3 must be swinging instead of throwing ! The St.X fan suggested to shamrock 69 that IF Petrino starts in 04, etc. All the Rock faithful knew that Savko was the right man to start . As I recall , it was many of the St.X fans that coined Nick as a non QB after the Tigers defeated the Rock J-V when Nick was a soph. NO , he didn't grow 5 inches in between years or anything, but the kid really learned and improved a lot under the tutilage of Oscar Brohm and Bob Beatty. ( I think that he may have had some home schooling too as did a kid named Brian a few years before, thats life being a coaches kid)

Brad Savko was a super quarterback and a great kid from a great family. He put up Brohm like numbers , (as did Petrino........gotta give love to this offense) I wish Brad all the best at Western , and I will attend some of his games . The best CSAA quarterback? Now thats' a stretch. I would have to cast my vote to Paul Schardein. He had a cannon and could also run the veer to perfection. He didn't grow much , ( a little taller than Petrino) so the high school he attended made him a defensive back. Its too bad he had to go there because his Dad was an all-state lineman there (both ways !) in the 1960's. If only he would have gone to Trinity ! (and listened to his old coach) Now he is doing an outstanding job officiating in the KHSAA both in football and baseball. (BUT, his strike zone is a little wide when behind the dish)

FACT! and IMO the assumption that Nick would have fared better is pretty ridiculous because he improved leaps and bounds between his Soph and Junior years. Such a statement is unfair to both Brad and Nick, again, IMO.

 

BTW-I know Brad was a standout baseball player too. Did he forego the rawhide altogether for the pigskin or is he still pursuing both? Fine young man and IMO one of the best grade-school QB's I have ever seen in this area while at St. Patrick. Of course, we didn't get a chance to see BB showcase his skills until 9th grade.

 

I've known the Savko family for 12 to 14 years. I consider them amoung some of my closest friends. Brad had orginally planned to play both Football and Baseball while at State. Much to his Dad's dismay, as his life long Baseball coach, he choose to focus on Football. Even in his transfer to WKU he made it perfectly clear he would be focused on Football. Great Kid. Great Family. I agree he was one of the best QB's St. Patrick has seen and for that matter CSAA.

 

Strike 3 must be swinging instead of throwing ! The St.X fan suggested to shamrock 69 that IF Petrino starts in 04, etc. All the Rock faithful knew that Savko was the right man to start . As I recall , it was many of the St.X fans that coined Nick as a non QB after the Tigers defeated the Rock J-V when Nick was a soph. NO , he didn't grow 5 inches in between years or anything, but the kid really learned and improved a lot under the tutilage of Oscar Brohm and Bob Beatty. ( I think that he may have had some home schooling too as did a kid named Brian a few years before, thats life being a coaches kid)

Brad Savko was a super quarterback and a great kid from a great family. He put up Brohm like numbers , (as did Petrino........gotta give love to this offense) I wish Brad all the best at Western , and I will attend some of his games . The best CSAA quarterback? Now thats' a stretch. I would have to cast my vote to Paul Schardein. He had a cannon and could also run the veer to perfection. He didn't grow much , ( a little taller than Petrino) so the high school he attended made him a defensive back. Its too bad he had to go there because his Dad was an all-state lineman there (both ways !) in the 1960's. If only he would have gone to Trinity ! (and listened to his old coach) Now he is doing an outstanding job officiating in the KHSAA both in football and baseball. (BUT, his strike zone is a little wide when behind the dish)

 

BR - I don't speak for xtiger, but I agree with you, Brad may not be THE Best QB in CSAA history. That's why we both said he was "One Of The Best"

 

I do think you have to put him in the top 10. I could be wrong without checking with his Dad to confirm, but I think he had two Toy Bowl Championships for St. Patrick as QB. Not that that alone would make him great. Brad is a very good athlete and a good person, both on and off the field.

correct Birdiecat-I specifically said Brad was one of the best I had ever seen at the CSAA grade school level. Since I have only watched CSAA football for around the past 15 years, I would not have attempted to say one of the best in the history of CSAA. I also know if I did state that, I could never get another free cold beverage from one friend who went from St. Denis to Flaget and then on to UK (CSAA trivia buffs-care to guess who I'm speaking of?). For a 7th and 8th grade youngster, Brad was extremely mobile and had a very accurate arm who seemed to always throw to the appropriate side of the receiver. As for Brad's Toy Bowl wins, I think his eighth grade year St. Patrick came up short in the playoffs in a game where my favorite former Mt. Carmel Cheetah ;) picked off a pass late in the game to help secure the win for OLMC. Unfortunately, the Cheetah's lost the next week in OT to St. Rafael in that year's Toy Bowl.

Or KJ Black?

 

It is the belief and many (including myself) that he'll be asked to switch positions. Of course, that does depend greatly on who the new Offensive coordinator is.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.