Highlands vs Covington Catholic Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who survives and advances?

• Highlands
    • Covington Catholic

This poll is closed to new votes

Well what else am I going to do for the next 4 hours?

Thought I would throw out some interesting tidbits about this game.

Cov Cath comes in with a record of 13-5-2

Highlands comes in with a record of 11-5-2

Cov Cath hasn't lost a game since way back on Aug 30th Carroll High School (Dayton, OH), and hasn't lost a game vs a KY team since Ryle took them down in a close 1-0 game on August 24th.  Typical Coach JR has them rolling into the playoffs full steam ahead.

Highlands had a bad week in the middle of Sept losing 3 of 4 (Ryle, NCC, & Brossart), other than those 3 games I really really like how Highlands has regrouped and played at the end of the year.  Morscher beat them in the Districts (Still Bitter), ludicrous!  There is a reason why the NCC v Cooper game is being played at Cov Cath tonight.....Morscher is not equipped to be a High School quality field!  Highlands is healthy coming into this game.  Suli seems to have settled in to a nice lineup on the pitch after some mid season tinkering....Tinkering is over and they have looked solid since.

Here is the like opponent outcomes for this season:

BEECHWOOD:  HHS won 5-2, CC won 2-0

CONNER:  HHS won 2-1, CC won 1-0

HOLY CROSS:  HHS won 6-1, CC won 3-0

RYLE: HHS lost 0-3, CC lost 0-1

NCC:  HHS lost 2-3 & 0-1 (both at Morscher), CC won 4-0 (played at Cov Cath)

DIXIE:  HHS won 1-0, CC won 2-1

COOPER:  HHS won 5-0, CC tied 0-0

ST HENRY:  HHS won 4-1, CC won 7-1

I highlighted the 2 games that each team could hang their hat on saying they should be the favorite.  Cov Cath manhandling Highlands nemesis this year NCC beating them 4-0 at home.  Highlands on the other hand destroyed Cooper 5-0, whereas Cov Cath only mustered up a 0-0 draw.

HISTORICALLY SPEAKING:

This will be the 6th time since 2015 Highlands and Cov Cath will be meeting in the 9th Region Tournament.  Highlands currently leads those scenarios with 3 wins and 2 losses in the prior 5 meetings.  Each of the meeting the outcome has been decided by 1 goal, with 4 of those game being decided by the dreaded PK shootout!  One of those shootouts being at the old Goat Ranch of St Henry in 2021 that lead to a quick fundraising campaign led by yours truly to get turf on that property, just one year to late in my opinion.

2015:  Cov Cath beat Highlands 2-1 (PK shootout)

2017:  Highlands beat Cov Cath 1-0 (PK shootout)

2018: Highlands beat Cov Cath 2-1 (only game ending in regulation)

2019: Highlands beat Cov Cath 3-2 (PK shootout)

2021:  Cov Cath beat Highlands 1-0 (PK shootout in the wilderness of Donaldson)

2023:  Whatcha thinking????

Fire up the buses, let's go!!!!