Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Incoming Freshmen in Spring Practice

Featured Replies

Have always thought it would be very beneficial to the players and teams to allow incoming Freshmen to go ahead and participate in Spring Ball with their High School team.  Most teams push Spring Ball back until the last month of school, so a lot of these 8th graders will be "practicing" with their high school teams in just a few shorts weeks anyways.  Why not go ahead and let them participate with the high school team in the Spring?  

I know they are not yet "enrolled" but just a thought I had after seeing some newly enrolled freshmen already participating at some college spring practices.  (And yes I am aware that college spring practice is much different from high school).

In the vast majority of cases a school's athletic liability and healthcare coverages will not cover unenrolled students.  There are a few exceptions I know, but that is the reason in most cases.

8 minutes ago, bulldog77 said:

In the vast majority of cases a school's athletic liability and healthcare coverages will not cover unenrolled students.  There are a few exceptions I know, but that is the reason in most cases.

Ding ding ding got a winner

10 minutes ago, bulldog77 said:

In the vast majority of cases a school's athletic liability and healthcare coverages will not cover unenrolled students.  There are a few exceptions I know, but that is the reason in most cases.

Not saying you're wrong, but if it's all about liability, how do middle schoolers get to participate in other high school sports? You don't have to look very hard to find 7th graders playing varsity sports. I know the KHSAA prohibits middle schoolers from playing against JR's and Sr's in a couple sports like Football and Soccer, so I'm thinking it has more to do with that than liability/insurance issues.

As I said, there are some exceptions depending on the type of coverage, the association of the schools and whether it is district level coverage or school level coverage.   But in most cases, that is exactly why.  But, feel free to check.  Just trying to help.

It's been done before. The key is if you're willing to do it with hope you aren't caught. 

  • Author

Get the liability argument completely.  Just think there should be a way these kids could participate in someway, even if it's in just helmets.  Could really help develop and get these student athletes up to speed a bit quicker.  Just a thought.

2 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Not saying you're wrong, but if it's all about liability, how do middle schoolers get to participate in other high school sports? You don't have to look very hard to find 7th graders playing varsity sports. I know the KHSAA prohibits middle schoolers from playing against JR's and Sr's in a couple sports like Football and Soccer, so I'm thinking it has more to do with that than liability/insurance issues.

Assuming high school policies are similar to youth organizations in their setup (not their actual coverage and costs), as each sport is covered differently under 1 policy.  You define the criteria of the participants for each sport, and the schools/districts set them up based on KHSAA eligibility guidelines.

I see this very June when basketball plays summer ball. 7/8/9 graders playing all month. I have also seen where kids play for a school A in June then are on school B roster come October. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.