Somerset 65 Wayne County 57

Final from Somerset. The Briar Jumpers improved to 15-9.  Wayne County dropped to 14-11. 

Somerset's gym was designated as one of the historic gyms by the Glory Road project. They presented the school with a plaque to mount outside the entrance.  Wayne County actually wore they're Monticello High School uniforms that they wore last season when the old Monticello gym was presented the plaque and the same 2 teams played. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, QueenoftheSouth said:

Somerset just keeps improving. At the beginning of the year, not sure I’d have had them top 10. Now they’re a team that no one is going to want to play.

They're facing a tough matchup in the first round of the district against a Rockcastle County team that has played them close twice. But if they can get to the Region they are a dangerous matchup for anyone.  As a team they are shooting 41% from three point range, on 8 made three per game. You add that to their 73% as a team from the free throw line, and they could beat anyone in the Region on a given night.  They're certainly not the favorites, and probably not in the top 5. But a dangerous team nonetheless. 

Coach Young has done a great job with this team.  He really plays to their strengths. 

5 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

They're facing a tough matchup in the first round of the district against a Rockcastle County team that has played them close twice. But if they can get to the Region they are a dangerous matchup for anyone.  As a team they are shooting 41% from three point range, on 8 made three per game. You add that to their 73% as a team from the free throw line, and they could beat anyone in the Region on a given night.  They're certainly not the favorites, and probably not in the top 5. But a dangerous team nonetheless. 

Coach Young has done a great job with this team.  He really plays to their strengths. 

I would say fringe top 5!  If fully healthy, would be top 5 IMO...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

Coach Ryan Young might finally get out of the District, I don't think he ever did at Garrard County. 

Garrard has never made the region since joining the 45th district in 2005.  They had a few close calls. Coach Cooper, Coach Deforest and Coach Young have all had teams with opportunities, but failed to get it done.  The last 2 seasons have not been competitive...(2021-22 74-52 Lincoln last year and 2020-21 80-47 Boyle Co.)  Garrard should be much more competitive this year in their matchup.  Hopefully, they seize the moment because the cupboard is about to be really bare...

16 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

Coach Ryan Young might finally get out of the District, I don't think he ever did at Garrard County. 

No, but he had Garrard close to upsetting the #1 seed in the district tournament multiple times.  I think it was 2018 when his team gave #1 seed Boyle County all it could handle in the first round of the 45th.  Boyle eventually pulled away in the 4th but it was a back-and-forth game the whole way.