Oldham County 78 Woodford County 74

Extraordinary game for the second week of the season.

Tournament level intensity from the opening tip.   Woodford missing McCrear - but the Jackets still were the favorites, sporting three D1 athletes in the starting five(!) including sophomore Jasper Johnson, ranked in the top 15 nationally in his class.

Both teams came out shooting, but OC had four turnovers in the first quarter that helped stake Woodford to the early lead, a lead that ballooned to 13 at 40-27 midway through the second.    But the Colonels had only three turnovers in the final three periods - including none in the decisive fourth - and OC rallied from 13 down to take a 4 point lead into halftime with a furious comeback.

The Colonels never trailed after that, though the game was in doubt all the way to the end.   Oldham would, at one point, open up a 9 point lead in the second half, but Woodford stayed within striking distance to the end.

Oldham had a remarkable bunch of statistical achievements.   The Colonels out-rebounded the Jackets, and had only the afore-mentioned 7 total turnovers.   Oldham shot 53% from the floor, and over 50% beyond the arc.    There were hardly any free throws shot by OC in the first three quarters, when the Colonels were 3 of 4 total (Luke Amburgey had all four attempts), but the Colonels hit 11 of 12 with the game on the line in the fourth, to finish 14 of 16 at the stripe for 88%.

Luke Amburgey (21 points), Max Green (20), and Abram Strinebruner, the transfer from CAL, (19) led OC.

Jasper Johnson was his usual self in leading Woodford.   Johnson hit an array of tough shots, including a couple of threes from at least 4-5 feet beyond the arc, and an impressive floater or two in the lane.    Just a sophomore, I was very impressed by how calm and collected this young man was, even when he fouled out late as Woodford tried to turn up the defensive pressure.   He's definitely a contender for 8th Region POY; his biggest handicap may well be his age, as coaches tend to favor seniors and juniors for the award.

Woodford falls to an unexpected 0-2; Oldham evens their record at 2-2.   For OC, it was their fourth straight game decided by 5 points or less.

1 hour ago, ColonelMike said:

- and OC rallied from 13 down to take a 4 point lead into halftime with a furious comeback.

Not sure what I was thinking when I typed that.....Oldham DID have a furious comeback in the final 2 minutes of the first half, cutting a 40-27 deficit to five at 40-35 with an 8-0 run.

But Oldham didn't take the lead for good until the third.

Senior moment.  Sorry.

36 minutes ago, Down4theblue said:

Woodford may play the toughest schedule in the state. They have 4 home games. 

They had some problems last year with their gym and had to play some home games at Midway College and KSU, might be why they have so few home games on the schedule.  They do actually have six home games on the schedule as to the four you stated.

Does look like a decent schedule, but I doubt that it's the toughest in the state.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, 4 Quarters said:

They had some problems last year with their gym and had to play some home games at Midway College and KSU, might be why they have so few home games on the schedule.  They do actually have six home games on the schedule as to the four you stated.

Does look like a decent schedule, but I doubt that it's the toughest in the state.

Woodford, Oldham County, Spencer County, Collins all are 8th Region teams facing brutal schedules.   But of the 8th Region teams, it's hard to be any tougher than what North Oldham is facing this year....

- Taft (OH) (OK, I'm not sure what Taft looks like this year....)

- SPIRE Institute

- Walton-Verona (#15 BGP)

- King of the Bluegrass Tournament (#5 Trinity is their first game, and the tourney includes #1 GRC, #2 Warren Central, #6 Great Crossing, #13 Male, plus DuPont Manual, Woodford County - preseason #20 - DeSales, Spencer County, and undefeated Harlan County)

- LexCath Holiday Classic (Tourney includes #8 LexCath, Bracken County, #2 Warren Central, #19 Madison Central, #9 Ballard, and #17 Lyon County, among others)

- #12 DeSales

- Strong unranked schedule that includes Oldham County, St. X, Collins, Spencer County, and DuPont Manual

- Jeffersonville, IN (OK, I don't know much about Jeff this year, but traditionally strong)

• Like 1