12 Team Playoff potentially in 2024 & 2025

Tigerpride94

8 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I just read a few days ago that the Rose Bowl was the hold up. I thought the CFP should have already told the Rose to pound sand.

Well, I don't know if it's the equivalent to telling them to pound sand, but I believe they drew a line in the sand and said if you don't make a decision by this date/time...you're out.

It's amazing what deadlines can do when people know there are serious consequences to missing them.

• Like 3

If it was active this year here are the current teams that would be in:

(1) Georgia; (2) Michigan; (3) TCU; (4) USC; (5) Ohio State; (6) Alabama; (7) Tennessee; (8) Penn State; (9) Clemson; (10) Kansas State; (11) Utah; (12) Washington.

3 hours ago, theguru said:

If it was active this year here are the current teams that would be in:

(1) Georgia; (2) Michigan; (3) TCU; (4) USC; (5) Ohio State; (6) Alabama; (7) Tennessee; (8) Penn State; (9) Clemson; (10) Kansas State; (11) Utah; (12) Washington.

So, if top 4 get byes, we'd end up with...

Ohio State vs. Washington

Alabama vs. Utah

Tennessee vs. Kansas State

Penn State vs. Clemson

I'd gladly take that.  Granted, it would be better if Hooker wasn't out, but still.

On a side note, I've not heard how they're going to do the second round.  Would it be a predetermined bracket, based upon the higher seed from the first round?  So, OSU/Washington would play USC regardless.  Or would they do the complicated thing the NFL does, where it's based upon who the highest seed is that's remaining after the first round.  So, if Washington happened to beat OSU in the first round, they'd play Georgia instead?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Alabama vs. Utah

Penn State vs. Clemson

I'd gladly take that.  Granted, it would be better if Hooker wasn't out, but still.

On a side note, I've not heard how they're going to do the second round.  Would it be a predetermined bracket, based upon the higher seed from the first round?  So, OSU/Washington would play USC regardless.  Or would they do the complicated thing the NFL does, where it's based upon who the highest seed is that's remaining after the first round.  So, if Washington happened to beat OSU in the first round, they'd play Georgia instead?

I guess we will find out in a couple of years but I would gladly take that too.

I have always been for 16 teams but 12 works.

And think back to all those "powers that be" that told us for decades two teams (or more recently four teams) was enough and we don't need more teams blah blah blah...  All I see is the corrupt people in power are finally having to move away from their monopoly. 

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

Alabama vs. Utah

Penn State vs. Clemson

Predetermined seeding like March Madness. There will not be, nor should there be reseeding.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theguru said:

I guess we will find out in a couple of years but I would gladly take that too.

I have always been for 16 teams but 12 works.

And think back to all those "powers that be" that told us for decades two teams (or more recently four teams) was enough and we don't need more teams blah blah blah...  All I see is the corrupt people in power are finally having to move away from their monopoly. 

I too have been for 16 teams, but I'll take this as well.

Quite simply, for me, the more teams you have in it, the more it's decided on the field. Which is how it should be. Scrap the polls and computer models and everything else that's used to "predict" who the better team(s) is/are, and let's play some ball.

Will there be some blowouts? Sure. Will we have brackets go by chalk some years? Maybe so. But will we also have a #5 team make it to the finals and maybe win it all? I think that's possible as well...which could not happen now under the current set up.  The same way a #4 seed could never win it when they only took the top 2.

This is a step forward.

• Like 1