Traveling Pet Peeves

Ram

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

We fly Southwest a lot, so this one is isolated to that airline. 

They board by zones A, B, C and then numerically within the zones. The earlier you check in, the higher zone/number you get. Never fails, someone who is in the last boarding group (who likely didn't check in at all before they got to the airport) makes a big deal about not being able to sit with who they are flying with. 

I don't normally fly Southwest, but I have some friends that do, and they say the same thing.  

I also hate the crowding of the boarding lanes.  I have status with American and am normally in group 1 or 2.  Never fails, the announcement comes overhead, "we will now be boarding, please keep the boarding lanes clear until your group number is called", immediately people start blocking the lanes.  

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

Compared to your average traveler I'm on a plane quite often. The above-mentioned pet peeves are good ones and grate on my nerves. What you most notice at airports is how clueless some people are. And I hate to hammer on them to much because many folks don't fly often and it can be a stressful situation if not accustomed to it. Other nominees:

- The guy that loves to hear himself talking on his bluetooth about an important work project while sitting at the gate.

- Stinky food person that brings out Panda Express mid-flight from their backpack.

- When de-planing having to hear Karen alert the entire plan she has another flight to catch (in 85 minutes) so she needs to get through. Yeah, half the plane has another flight to catch.

All accurate.  Yesterday I had all three on my commute.  I was at a charging station prior to boarding, there was "important work conversation guy" talking about cost analysis, revenue projections and dividends.  Got on the plane and "stinky food guy" break out a Mike's sub that apparently had extra vinegar and pickles, in first class mind you, we were served an inflight meal.  We land, here comes Karen from row 27, "I have another flight to catch, it boards in 20 minutes" (giving her 50 minutes prior to departure). 

1 minute ago, Ram said:

All accurate.  Yesterday I had all three on my commute.  I was at a charging station prior to boarding, there was "important work conversation guy" talking about cost analysis, revenue projections and dividends.  Got on the plane and "stinky food guy" break out the a Mike's sub that apparently had extra vinegar and pickles, in first class mind you, we were served an inflight meal.  We land, here comes Karen from row 27, "I have another flight to catch, it boards in 20 minutes" (giving her 50 minutes prior to departure). 

First class eh? If you wanna slide me some of those SkyMiles I wouldn’t be opposed. 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Definitely agree here. We probably fly maybe 2-3x a year, so not a lot. But over the years flying has become routine for us. I have to take a minute and realize a lot of people have literally never seen the inside of an airport, much less are familiar enough to actually know what they are doing. 

You and bugs are right, it is comparing apples and oranges, I feel like I'm complaining about it a little much, but I hear other first time flyers on the plane talking and they are respectful and appear to be going with the flow and watching what everyone else is doing.  I actually like those people, I show them where the try table comes out of the arm rests, or the back of the seat, when they are looking for it; and where the charging plugs are.  I even tell them what alcohol brands this airline carries (very important to order by name, lol) I enjoy their excitement about flying.   

But, some people are just rude and can ruin the whole experience for everyone.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ram said:

You and bugs are right, it is comparing apples and oranges, I feel like I'm complaining about it a little much, but I hear other first time flyers on the plane talking and they are respectful and appear to be going with the flow and watching what everyone else is doing.  I actually like those people, I show them where the try table comes out of the arm rests, or the back of the seat, when they are looking for it; and where the charging plugs are.  I even tell them what alcohol brands this airline carries (very important to order by name, lol) I enjoy their excitement about flying.   

But, some people are just rude and can ruin the whole experience for everyone.  

Same. I’ve learned that I’m a huge aviation nerd. Lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

First class eh? If you wanna slide me some of those SkyMiles I wouldn’t be opposed. 😎

Heck yea, once I got to the level that I get upgraded on most flights, I have to admit, it was pretty darn nice.  At worst, I get an exit row seat if too many ultra-elite people are in first class.  

Just now, Ram said:

Heck yea, once I got to the level that I get upgraded on most flights, I have to admit, it was pretty darn nice.  At worst, I get an exit row seat if too many ultra-elite people are in first class.  

As long as I have a window seat, I’m good to go. I’m never in a rush to get off the plane, and I’ve never been on a flight long enough that upgrading to a better seat was worth the money. My longest flight was LAX to JFK. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

Same. I’ve learned that I’m a huge aviation nerd. Lol

Me too.  It' pretty darn cool.  Plus, the pilots I work with have taught me a great deal about aviation, and the more they teach, the more I want to learn.  

I fly commercial to get to where I'm working, then I fly in helicopters at work, then fly commercial back home.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ram said:

Me too.  It' pretty darn cool.  Plus, the pilots I work with have taught me a great deal about aviation, and the more they teach, the more I want to learn.  

I fly commercial to get to where I'm working, then I fly in helicopters at work, then fly commercial back home.  

I watch a lot of plane spotting videos on YouTube. With the UPS hub here in Louisville, it’s basically a plane parade around here everyday, too. The fact that an A380 can even get off the ground is mind boggling. 

I’ve never flown in a helicopter. Maybe one day I’ll do one of those 10 minute, $150 helicopter tours in Orlando. 😂

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

As long as I have a window seat, I’m good to go. I’m never in a rush to get off the plane, and I’ve never been on a flight long enough that upgrading to a better seat was worth the money. My longest flight was LAX to JFK. 

That's the way I was, used to fly once or twice a year and it was never worth the cost to upgrade.  But, when I started flying weekly for work, I have to say I was envious of those first class people when I walked past them.  Then, when I started getting upgraded, it's hard to go back to coach.

Just now, Ram said:

That's the way I was, used to fly once or twice a year and it was never worth the cost to upgrade.  But, when I started flying weekly for work, I have to say I was envious of those first class people when I walked past them.  Then, when I started getting upgraded, it's hard to go back to coach.

Yeah, that’s why I don’t splurge on upgrading, because I know I won’t go back. I’ve just recently convinced myself to pay for the early bird check-in on SW. LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I watch a lot of plane spotting videos on YouTube. With the UPS hub here in Louisville, it’s basically a plane parade around her everyday. The fact that an A380 can even get off the ground is mind boggling. 

I’ve never flown in a helicopter. Maybe one day I’ll do one of those 10 minute, $150 helicopter tours in Orlando. 😂

Lol, I know what you mean, being at airports and see those huge plans, you wonder how that physics even works.  I used to be amazed when I would be at an airport at work and everyone knew all the plane types and performance.  Now, I'm one of those guys.  It's amazing how you learn just from exposure.  

Oh, and for an aviation nerd, I don't know if you are aware, but at all the airports, there are other terminals most don't know about, they are FBOs, Fixed Base Operators, they sale fuel to private planes and helicopters.  So, like we land at Louisville while working, we don't land over at the commercial gates, we land at an FBO somewhere most people can't see and get fuel.  They have private lounges, bathrooms and normally free snacks.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ram said:

Oh, and for an aviation nerd, I don't know if you are aware, but at all the airports, there are other terminals most don't know about, they are FBOs, Fixed Base Operators, they sale fuel to private planes and helicopters.  So, like we land at Louisville while working, we don't land over at the commercial gates, we land at an FBO somewhere most people can't see and get fuel.  They have private lounges, bathrooms and normally free snacks.

I think I experienced one of those back when I was in band at UofL. We were flying to Miami for the Orange Bowl on chartered flights. We didn't go to the main terminal. We went to a different place where the buses drove right onto the apron next to the planes. There was a nice building attached to that area, I'm assuming that's something like you're talking about. 

I want to say the name was Atlantic Aviation?

41 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think I experienced one of those back when I was in band at UofL. We were flying to Miami for the Orange Bowl on chartered flights. We didn't go to the main terminal. We went to a different place where the buses drove right onto the apron next to the planes. There was a nice building attached to that area, I'm assuming that's something like you're talking about. 

I want to say the name was Atlantic Aviation?

Exactly what I'm talking about.  Yep, that's where you landed.  We see some college teams and such sometimes going through the FBO.  

Most people don't even know those are at the airport.  You see some interesting people there.  I've been at LEX when the prince of Dubai landed at the FBO to go check out his race horses.  We landed and there were five blacked out Suburbans on the tarmac and I asked the guy at the FBO who was landing, he was not willing to disclose that to me lol.

• Like 1