Conner 2 Highlands 1

Whoa, this one comes out of left-field.  Conner, fresh off the wrong end of a 0-2 loss to CovCath, defeats the pre-season top choice Highlands, 2-1.  Winning is shocking, holding the Birds to a single goal is a little shocking, and it certainly reinforces what I've mentioned a few times that Conner has a puncher's chance to sneak into the 9th Region tourney.  Maybe more than that given the Ryle score this evening (different thread). 

Congrats to the Cougars.

The Birds will be fine, I'm sure, but not a result that anyone would have seen coming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this has a lot to do with new coaching staff trying to understand the personnel that they have and how to utilize them to the fullest.  I totally agree with you, come crunch time at the end of the season the Birds will be fine.....just normal growing pains with the transition.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 1:56 PM, UKato91 said:

Connor has a lot of young talent coming up in the ranks.  They will be contenders.  Just didn't see it coming this soon.  

4 of the 5 freshman that were brought up this game played. Conner had Dyer out and Butcher went out too with an injury. One of the freshman finished on defense when all heck was being let loose by Highlands to score the tying goal with less than 2 minutes left. 

The freshman/sophomore class could be a really good one for Conner. Sophomore Trey Wagner finished the game in goal vs Highlands. 

• Like 1