Texas Commit Helmers Leaves Assumption Program

21 minutes ago, PsalmsG said:

This is a shock. Prep Volleyball had the 6-4 Sydney Helmers listed as the second-best player in Kentucky. I don't know the situation. But I hope she's okay.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/preps/kentucky/2022/08/16/kentucky-high-school-volleyball-assumption-without-texas-commit-sydney-helmers/65405953007/

Would you please tell us more about it?

Nothing in the article indicates she is not going to play at Texas. Only says that she is not going to play at Assumption this fall. This could be another situation of a high level athlete passing on playing high school sports and focusing on the future on college.

• Like 1

I know that Helmers missed the postseason last year because of concussions. She told Coach Kordes she was not enjoying it anymore. I do not like to speculate so there's not much more that I can say. But like VoR said, it is not uncommon to see high school athletes pass on high school sports and focus on college sports.

• 2 weeks later...

And let's say it out loud, it is also done on the dubious advice of SOME AAU/select/travel/club coaches and programs.  I say SOME because my experience is that it is a clear minority of those coaches and programs. However, it IS definitely a thing in many sports now, particularly in volleyball and soccer.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:37 AM, bulldog77 said:

And let's say it out loud, it is also done on the dubious advice of SOME AAU/select/travel/club coaches and programs.  I say SOME because my experience is that it is a clear minority of those coaches and programs. However, it IS definitely a thing in many sports now, particularly in volleyball and soccer.

Her high school coach runs the club she plays for. The assistant at her high school was her club coach this past club season. NOBODY from her club told her not to play high school. I agree it definitely happens. But it doesn’t happen nearly as much in volleyball as it does in soccer or other sports. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:26 PM, vbtalk said:

Her high school coach runs the club she plays for. The assistant at her high school was her club coach this past club season. NOBODY from her club told her not to play high school. I agree it definitely happens. But it doesn’t happen nearly as much in volleyball as it does in soccer or other sports. 

If it appears I alluded to this in this case in particular my apologies.  Not what I meant to say as I have zero knowledge of this particular instance.  How often it happens in each particular sport however is certainly up for debate. I have seen it first hand in the two sports I mentioned as well as baseball.

On 8/29/2022 at 4:32 PM, bulldog77 said:

If it appears I alluded to this in this case in particular my apologies.  Not what I meant to say as I have zero knowledge of this particular instance.  How often it happens in each particular sport however is certainly up for debate. I have seen it first hand in the two sports I mentioned as well as baseball.

You have a first hand account of a club volleyball coach or director telling a volleyball player that she shouldn’t play high school volleyball?

14 hours ago, vbtalk said:

You have a first hand account of a club volleyball coach or director telling a volleyball player that she shouldn’t play high school volleyball?

I indeed do.  I dealt with it and we moved on.  

6 hours ago, bulldog77 said:

I indeed do.  I dealt with it and we moved on.  

Wow! Sorry you had to deal with that. I hope you let the high school coach know exactly what was said and by whom. I also hope whichever club that person was affiliated with suffered some financial blowback by way of other kids from that high school changing clubs. High school sports should always come first. Always. I fully understand that club is where kids get recruited, but high school doesn’t interfere with club. There’s no need to try to cause a student athlete to miss the experience of playing for her school and community. 

• Like 1