My wife's Ford Fusion

OlDog75

My wife has a 2020 Ford Fusion SE with a 1.5 ecoboost I4 engine (build date 6/2020).  Past years of this engine had a design flaw in which coolant leaked into the engine near cylinder walls causing issues which would generally lead to engine replacement pretty early.  I learned that there was a revised engine design that corrected this coolant intrusion issue on subsequent Fusions. How can I tell if her 2020 Fusion SE (build date 6/2020) has the updated design of the 1.5 ecoboost I4 engine that does not leak coolant into the engine?  Any info would be appreciated.

I've got nothing substantial for you, OD, other than this.  It appears there was a possible lawsuit that was going to be filed, and it referenced model years 2013-2019.  With your wife's being a 2020, I'd say it's excluded for a reason (they finally addressed the issue).  Also, with the build date of 6/20, this is very early on in Covid, I'd say they were still pretty close to their traditional build schedule, so it's 2020 parts that were likely assembled.

Are you just looking for peace of mind, or do you need it for something else?

• Like 1

I'd take it to the dealership and have them check it out. I am not sure with it being considered to be the same engine, just upgraded, if you would be able to get accurate information or not based solely on looking up the VIN # online.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

I've got nothing substantial for you, OD, other than this.  It appears there was a possible lawsuit that was going to be filed, and it referenced model years 2013-2019.  With your wife's being a 2020, I'd say it's excluded for a reason (they finally addressed the issue).  Also, with the build date of 6/20, this is very early on in Covid, I'd say they were still pretty close to their traditional build schedule, so it's 2020 parts that were likely assembled.

Are you just looking for peace of mind, or do you need it for something else?

Wife is looking for piece of mind honestly.  Although I told her she probably would never get as much for her car as right now and go for a non Ford.  She's VERY loyal (to a fault IMO), has never had anything else but Ford.

2 hours ago, Tones said:

I'd take it to the dealership and have them check it out. I am not sure with it being considered to be the same engine, just upgraded, if you would be able to get accurate information or not based solely on looking up the VIN # online.

Yeah, that's just it.  I have dealt with Ford corporate on another issue years ago and could not get a straight answer.  In my opinion they were falling over themselves to cover their back side in the response to me.  Same with a GM product I had years ago as well.  Seems workmanship and quality at auto companies is not considered in the bottom line any longer.

17 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

Yeah, that's just it.  I have dealt with Ford corporate on another issue years ago and could not get a straight answer.  In my opinion they were falling over themselves to cover their back side in the response to me.  Same with a GM product I had years ago as well.  Seems workmanship and quality at auto companies is not considered in the bottom line any longer.

I had the same problems dealing with Ford. Thought it was an issue with the dealership I was dealing with but sounds like maybe it could be more of a problem. Got rid of my Edge at 30k miles solely because I couldn't deal with the people at the dealership. Good luck.

• Like 1