BluegrassPreps.com 12th Region Week 5 Rankings and Review

As a whole the region really shown in the holiday tournaments their representative teams played in. Teams ranked 4 through 8 in this week’s rankings really closed the gap between them and the top 3 and I think it’s safe to say anyone could win this region.  

Team Rankings 

1.      Pulaski County – Pulaski remains undefeated by winning three games in the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops event over Fern Creek, Mount Healthy and Russell County. Gavin Stevens is averaging 16.9 points per game with Zach Travis right behind him at a clean 16 per game. They have just one game this week but it is a doozy. The Maroons host the Lincoln County Patriots Tuesday in what may very well be a preview of a future regional tournament game between contenders.  

2.      Lincoln County – The Patriots earned third place in the Ashland Invitational, their only loss coming to the host and tournament champion Ashland Tomcats. Colton Ralston scored 18 in the 2 point win in the third place game over Bowling Green. The Patriots travel to Somerset twice this week to play Pulaski and Southwestern. They finish this week with the Patriot Classic where they host Lexington Christian.  

3.      Boyle County – The Rebels went 2 and 1 in the Central Kentucky Christmas Invitational with wins against host Marion County and Kentucky Country Day and a loss to John Hardin. They face Garrard County and Wayne County this week before taking on Paintsville in the Patriot Classic at Lincoln County. 

4.        McCreary Central – The Raiders did not record a win in the White Greer & Maggard Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic but lost by 4 to the host school as well as losing by just 1 to Great Crossing. They play Somerset Christian and Lynn Camp this week before taking on Frankfort in the Patriot Classic at Lincoln County.  

5.      West Jessamine – The Colts went 1 and 2 in the White, Greer & Maggard Holiday Classic, leaving on a high note with a three point double overtime win over Bardstown. They play two district games this week, traveling to Burgin and hosting crosstown rival East Jessamine.  

6.      Rockcastle County – The Rockets went 2 and 1 in the Magnolia Bank Holiday Classic at LaRue County with wins over Apollo and Crittenden County and a 2 point loss to Grayson County. They have a road contest at Somerset this week before meeting up with Whitley County in South Laurel’s Raymond Reed Classic. 

7.      Garrard County – The Golden Lions went 2 and 1 in the Central Bank Jim Rose Classic at Lexington Christian this week with a win over the host Eagles, a loss to McCracken County and a win over Rowan County. They can make some serious noise this week in their district as they play Boyle County and Danville before hosting Tates Creek in their Elleman Contracting Classic. 

8.      Danville – The Ads are still red hot, earning wins against Mount Healthy (Ohio), Fern Creek, and Adair County. They face Southwestern, Danville Christian and Garrard County this week.  

9.  Danville Christian – The Warriors’ hot streak continued last week with three wins in the Lake Cumberland Classic over Cumberland County, Somerset Christian, and Beth Haven. They host Danville and Somerset Christian this week. 

10.  Somerset – The Briar Jumpers fell to Aiken (Cincinnati) and Wolfe County last week but recorded a win over Carthage (TN). Indred Whitaker is averaging over 14 points per game. They face off against Rockcastle County and Casey County this week.  

11.      Wayne County – The Cardinals hosted the Monticello Bank Classic and went 1 and 2, their one win being over Mount Healthy (Ohio). They play Somerset Christian, Boyle County and Mercer County this week.  

12.  Mercer County – Mercer County hosted the Howard Carpenter Classic last week and had a positive experience, getting wins over Lafayette and Webster County while losing just one to Bourbon County. They play Model, Frankfort and Wayne County this week.  

13.  Casey County – The Rebels were off last week but get right back at it this week with games against Berea, Somerset and Frankfort Christian.  

14.  East Jessamine – The Jaguars limped through the Central Bank Jim Rose tournament with 3 losses. They try to recover this week as they face Madison Southern, West Jessamine and Lafayette. 

15.  Southwestern – The Warriors went winless last week and our looking for their first win in region since December 6th as they face Danville and Lincoln County this week.  

16. Somerset Christian – The Cougars held their own in the Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoops event, going 2 and 1. They face McCreary Central, Wayne County, and Danville Christian this week.  

17.  Burgin – The Bulldogs got back to action in Pineville’s Chain Rock Classic, getting their first win of the year over Cumberland Gap (TN). John Boursaw scored 20 in the win. They play just once this week as they host district foe West Jessamine.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LethalPG said:

I expect the All A Regional next week to be highly contested.  (8-10 are all participants). Somerset was without their starting center this past week, but continue to make strides with a young team. 

There will come a day when Danville Christian wins the All A regional. Next week will be their first legitimate chance.

4 minutes ago, se7ens said:

There will come a day when Danville Christian wins the All A regional. Next week will be their first legitimate chance.

They can absolutely win it this year.  I would say strength of schedule is an issue.  Danville and Somerset have played much better competition, but DCA has all the pieces to win the event.

I am excited to finally see some of the district matchups take place this week. These District/Regional matchups will show who is contenders and who is pretenders. Lincoln @ Pulaski as mentioned will be a super good game. Interested in the Boyle @ Garrard Game also to see where the Lions rank in the 45th. I think DCA may give Ads a good game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

I think DCA wins one of two against Danville. Either the All A or the district game this week. 

I absolutely could see this, but Danville win vs. Fern Creek is a way better win than any DCA has.  DCA is entering the meat of the schedule with a ton of opportunities ahead.  

Rebels and Lions have only one common opponent this year in Spencer County. Boyle played them very early and without Imfield their leading scorer and Garrard lost in a nail bitter couple weeks ago in OT. Could turn out to be Cooper vs Imfield shootout. 

33 minutes ago, RimRacker said:

Rebels and Lions have only one common opponent this year in Spencer County. Boyle played them very early and without Imfield their leading scorer and Garrard lost in a nail bitter couple weeks ago in OT. Could turn out to be Cooper vs Imfield shootout. 

I think the key in a Garrard/Boyle game is the amount of scoring that comes from the 3rd, 4th, and 5th scorers. You know what to expect with Cooper and Quisenberry for Garrard, with Imfeld for Boyle. Can any of those guys averaging between 5-7 points per game up that to 12-14 points? If so, then that team has a good chance of getting the victory.

15 hours ago, LethalPG said:

DCA is entering the meat of the schedule with a ton of opportunities ahead.  

While I agree with you that DCA hasn't played a ton of great teams during their nine game winning streak, they've absolutely taken care of business against all of those teams. Only Anderson County (probably the best opponent) was close. I'm very curious to see how the DCA/Danville game turns out on Thursday.

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

While I agree with you that DCA hasn't played a ton of great teams during their nine game winning streak, they've absolutely taken care of business against all of those teams. Only Anderson County (probably the best opponent) was close. I'm very curious to see how the DCA/Danville game turns out on Thursday.

I'm with you, but I can't truly judge them until they play some quality teams.  They lost to Casey County.  They play a high 2-3 and pressure people.  Not sure that works against the teams they'll need to beat in the 45th District.

• Like 1