Bowling Green 38 Hopkinsville 7

Purple88

The BG front 7 were tough as nails and dominated this game. They put their offense in great positions forcing 7 turnovers with many of them deep in Tiger territory. 

The Tigers really struggled without their starter at QB and BG did what good teams do. Tiger defense made some plays and played pretty well considering the circumstances. 

#2 from BG is an extremely talented WR and the young QB Bailey is going to be a good one. Took some sacks but made some plays with his legs too. 

Beautiful stadium and great crowd in BG land tonight. 

• Like 3

What a beautiful night to open the new BG Stadium.  Big thanks go to the BGISD personnel most notably Gary Fields, Superintendent, for having the vision, the plan, finding the funding and assembling the team to execute this task which was not easy.  Thank you and well done!

To the game:  Hopkinsville brought less than 40 players to BG.  Even though they were thin they were tough and their defense was really impressive to me especially their front 7.  They were continually placed in poor field position and kept fighting all night.  The Hoptown offense just couldn’t find traction tonight.  But they have some players; hope they have a good season the rest of the way for my man @Region2 Hype Man.  

For the Purples, many nuggets of goodness to break down.  Starting with the defense that could have pitched the shutout, but I’m glad the coaching staff allowed the second team guys to get some run in the game.  This is how you build depth.  And BG is doing that.  I don’t know how many CBs played tonight but it must have been 6 or 8.  I couldn’t keep up.  I bet 40-50 Purples got in the game tonight.  Better teams build depth.  I believe that.

For the BG offense, it wasn’t a Mona Lisa by any stretch, but after losing 21-18, and winning 14-10 and 7-0 this game felt closer to the speedboat races of the Scooter Hollis years back in 2011.  I don’t have stats yet, but listened to the post game radio show on the way home and FR QB Deuce Bailey in his first game starting for the Purples did a terrific job and was named Key Oil Player of the Game in his first game!  Congratulations!  Was he perfect?  Of course not.  Does he have room to improve.  Sure, but was it the right thing to do to start him.  Unequivocally YES!!!!  One fact backs this up.  Through the first 3 games of the year, BG scores 39 points.  Tonight BG scores 38 points.  Ballgame.  Now to be fair did Deuce cause ALL those points no, but having him in the game changed it for BG from what has transpired already this season.  And how about Bert Kibawa!  The young man is very talented and made some acrobatic catches and the last TD run!  WOW!  Get him the ball!  Matrix Halcolm started at CB tonight and picked off the first pass of the game and I thought he ran the ball well also.

Just a lot to like going forward.  I think the offensive package is still evolving.  The plays which fit Deuce Bailey best aren’t the same plays that fit the other QB best so that will take some time.  Also, I think giving some other WRs a chance will help as well.  But it’s certainly more positive than negative tonight for the Purples!

On to Title Town!!!!!

Go Purples! 

• Like 3

Purples not only won on the scoreboard but for the first time this year I feel that the team won on the sidelines and in the locker room as well. Tough decisions on switching up line up were made and thankful that it seems in best interest of the team. Not taking anything away from anybody! 

Not that it matters but the last touchdown from Kibawa should have actually been recorded as a touchdown pass from Bailey. Correct me if I’m wrong but a jet sweep that the quarterback tosses to the receiver (not direct handoff) should be just as if it were a shuttle pass. 

Regardless, great win. Next week will be fun! 

Go Purples!