I didn't expect Barrick to stick around for 10-12 years, but I thought it would be more than two. Russell basketball hasn't had a long term coach in over 30 years. It's hard to build anything with that kind of coaching turnover.

• Like 1

Tom Barrick’s replacement will be Russell’s fifth boys basketball coach in a span of eight seasons.That is not good, I would like to see some stability in the Russell Boys basketball  program.

There were two assistants last season with head coaching experience, Derek Cooksey and Brett Cooksey.  Will one of them get the shot or is the thought Russell will go outside the program?

I have heard Derek Cooksey is leading candidate for the job. Brett is much more comfortable as an assistant to his brother, so he will not apply.

Derek did a solid job at Fairview with not much talent. He Seems like the logical choice.

I would be fine with Derek Cooksey or any Coach who would stay and build the program from the ground up like Mandy Layne has done with the Girls. I think there will be several coaches interested.

• 4 weeks later...