Pitching and Hitting

Who will have the early advantage when games kick off, Pitchers or Hitters?

Common thinking is that hitters will be way ahead of pitchers when the games kick off. 

I think with expanded rosters, that starters won't be asked to go more than 5 innings (if that) for the first month and that Managers will keep rolling out fresh arms every inning or so from the 4th or 5th on. Seeing a different pitcher every at bat will be a big disadvantage to the hitters.

Does anyone think there will be a breakout DH star in the National League this year? If so, who?

What will be the MLB leading HR total this year?

Highest Avg. this season? With a hot few weeks could a guy could possibly make a run at .400?

What is your prediction on MLB Wins Leader for the season? I'd set the over/under at 7.5 for the MLB leader.

What are some of your thoughts as Baseball finally looks to get going?

12 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Does anyone think there will be a breakout DH star in the National League this year? If so, who?

What will be the MLB leading HR total this year?

Highest Avg. this season? With a hot few weeks could a guy could possibly make a run at .400?

What is your prediction on MLB Wins Leader for the season? I'd set the over/under at 7.5 for the MLB leader.

What are some of your thoughts as Baseball finally looks to get going?

Hard to say as far as a breakout DH star.  In my opinion, the NL has usually struggled in games involving the DH just because their roster was never made up that way.  The DH was always a 4th outfielder or utility player, while the AL tailored their roster for it by specifically targeting a guy.  I don't know that the NL will have that much time to adapt.  But, anybody that's already stacked depth-wise, will have an advantage.

If I were to guess, it wouldn't surprise me if someone reaches 20+ HR's this year.  If we were going to miss some months of the season, missing those cold and often rainy days early in the year, were the ones to lose.  Balls should be rocketing out of GABP and every other outdoor "northern" park starting day 1.

Absolutely someone could hit .400 this year.  Even though roster sizes could be expanded (introducing a larger number of pitchers for each team), aren't they limiting who you'll be playing?  If I was a Reds hitter, facing the staffs of the Royals, White Sox and Tigers is a lot less imposing than that of the Dodgers, Braves and Nationals.  Plus I don't see managers going to the 14th or 15th pitcher that much, unless it's an absolute blowout.  You're not going to trust a tight game to a guy who'd normally be in AAA, when you've only got 60 games to play.  Every game will matter so much more this year.

I like your line for the over/under wins for a pitcher.  Winning 8 out of 12 starts isn't going to be easy.  How many guys will get pulled in their first couple of starts before they complete 5, just because it's early in the season?  So, you throw those 2 starts out, and now you have to win 8 of 10?  I think that's going to be hard.  Not saying it's impossible, but I can't see multiple people doing it.

• Like 1

I will bet the farm right now that no one bats .400.  No one has even hit .350 in the last 18 years.  And there’s only 4 active players who have hit .400 over a 60 game stretch.  Since Williams hit .400 there’s only been 7 players who hit .400 in their first 60 games.  

Sure it’s possible.  But .400 is really hard to do...that’s 2-5 every day.  If you follow a 2-5 with an 0-5, you’re hitting .200 over those two games.  If you go 0-10 over a few games, you’d need two 4-5 games to get back on pace.  All it takes is a week long slump to kill your chances and that’s going to be hard to avoid even in a two month season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach112 said:

Not to get too critical but players have hit over .350 in the last 18 years. The last one to do it was John Hamilton, .359 in 2010.

My lord. It’s overshadowed by how his career ended, but my lord Hamilton was a machine for a couple of years. I truly think when he threw that ball the fan and he fell to his death, that it just totally screwed up his mind again to a place that he can’t escape anymore. Such a sad, sad story. 

• 2 months later...

For those wondering...

LeMahieu led the AL with a .364 average, his teammate Voit hit 22 dingers to lead the league.

In the NL, Soto hit .351, while Ozuna hit 18 homers.

As far as pitching goes, only two players eclipsed JD's bar of 7.5 wins...Bieber in the AL, and Darvish in the NL.  Both won 8 of their 12 starts.

• Like 1