2020 Six Class Football Predictions

Alright guys, who you got and why? Yeah, I know its WAY to early but what else do we have to talk about, right? There's no wrong answers, just opinions. And you don't have to give a champ in all six classes if you don't want. Here's what I think will happen:

1A Pikeville: The Panthers were so dominant last year it allowed their backups to get PLENTY of quality playing time against other teams starters. What they did lose to graduation their backups are more than prepared to step in an take over.

* Who could prove me wrong: Paintsville

2A Somerset: Jumpers repeat. Sheron, Grundy, and Garland all return. They lose ALOT of seniors but you won't catch me betting against QB Kaiya Sheron, especially when his top target at WR, Kade Grundy, will be joining him for another year. Oh yeah, RB Mike Garland returns as well.

*Who could prove me wrong: LCA

3A DeSales: The Colts get their revenge. I think the top three teams will be DeSales, Bell County, and Belfry. Bell County returns the most but they lose their leader and best player on both sides of the ball in Landon Stephony. The kid "was" Bell County football this past year. Belfry graduates a MONSTER class. But they return some very nice players in Dixon, Coleman, and Mounts but it won't be enough for a repeat. DeSales loses one of the best D-Line's in the state but they have some good, solid athletes ready to step in and fill those voids.

*Who could prove me wrong: Bell County

(Don't be SHOCKED if this will be the last year you see legendary coach Phillip Heywood roaming the sidelines on Pond Creek)

4A Johnson Central: FLY EAGLES FLY! Coach Matney isn't done yet, either is his boys from Mighty Johnson Central. They lose a ton but so does the other State Championship team, the Boyle County Rebels, who lose a MONSTER class. I do think it will be the exact same 4A championship game next year with the exact same champion but by a little larger margin of victory. The Eagles lose alot off their O-Line but do return "Mega-Stud" Grant Bingham. Coach Matney, along with Coach Heywood at Belfry, are two of the very best at developing offensive linemen and next year both coaches will repeat this feat. My only concern is how do the Eagles replace Ryley Preece? Not sure how they'll do it but I'm sure they'll figure it out. My guess, Grant Rice will take over as QB1 for the Eagles.

*Who could prove me wrong: Boyle County

(NOTE: Being from Eastern Kentucky I'm not even going to pretend that I know anything about the two biggest classes, 5A and 6A, in Kentucky High School Football. I'll leave that up to the folks from area's that have alot of those programs. So my next two classes will be short and sweet, and above all, a guess.)

5A Frederick Douglas: The Breds have been close but just haven't been able to get over the hump, YET. They finally made it to the "Game" last year. Now all they have left to do is win it. I think they do this year and win their first football State Championship in school history. Especially now that "All World" Michael Mayer is no longer at Covington Catholic.

*Who could prove me wrong: Covington Cath.

6A Trinity: Well, because its Trinity. If I'm not mistaken, the Rocks return their starting QB and starting RB from last years squad (atleast I think they do) and who knows what other D-1 talent will emerge from that great, historic program and lead them into the future. Until someone else steps up and is able to win more than one State Championship in a row in 6A it's going to be Trinity and everybody else.

*Who could prove me wrong: Not a clue!

5A Frederick Douglas: The Breds have been close but just haven't been able to get over the hump, YET. They finally made it to the "Game" last year. Now all they have left to do is win it. I think they do this year and win their first football State Championship in school history. Especially now that "All World" Michael Mayer is no longer at Covington Catholic.

*Who could prove me wrong: Covington Cath.

The Douglass Broncos get my vote as preseason #1 in 5A. South Warren or Bowling Green might be given the nod of spoiler with CovCath having to replace last year's outstanding senior class.

I know you've only listed two teams per class, but if the list was expanded, it would be hard for me to imagine Mayfield and Beechwood wouldn't be factors in 2A.

1A:

My Pick- Pikeville. They will take a step back after losing some absolute studs from a team ho was 3 TD's better than everyone else in 1A at the end of the year. MacNamee is going to be elite.

My Top Contender- Paintsville. The Tigers have star power back and should have a fire in their belly after getting embarrassed in the Finals.

My Dangerous Third- Crittenden County. Rockets were 10-3 and return more experience than probably any other team in KY.

Beware: Hazard, Raceland, Holy Cross

2A:

My Pick- Somerset. I dont think Somerset will be as good as last year after some big hits on D and at the LOS, but with Sheron and Grundy back they will definitely be a team hard to stop.

My Top Contender- Mayfield. The Cards got hit hard by graduation but they have proven time and time again that they are always at a State Championship level regardless of how many stars leave.

My Dangerous Third- Beechwood. I expect Beechwood to trend up after an uncharacteristic reload lats year. Hergott is a star.

Beware: Breahitt County, West Carter, Murray, Caldwell County, Danville

3A:

My Pick- Bell County. Bobcats will return by far the most experience of any 3A team which says a lot when they were 14-0 and only trailed for one possession until the State Finals. They have massive shoes to fill at QB.

My Top Contender- Belfry. Pirates will be right there led by Dixon, Coleman, and Mounts. They have a couple glaring holes and question marks but expect them to be tough once more.

My Dangerous Third- DeSales. The Colts lose a truly dominant Defensive Line which was their strength, but they return some excellent talent at the skill spots and in the back half of their Defense.

Beware: Russell, CAL, Mercer County, Ashland

4A:

My Pick- Johnson Central. The Golden Eagles shocked a lot of people with what they did winning it over a stacked Boyle County team, and although they lose some veteran stalwarts, the Eagles still have big time talent and big time game changers back.

My Top Contender- Boyle County. Write off Boyle at your own peril. Although they lose a special Senior Class and a legend of a Coach. Haddix will keep momentum up and the shelves are far from bare in Danville.

My Dangerous Third- Wayne County. I have always loved the way Coach Thompson does things at a rural school. He keeps them competitive then builds towards a special team. This is a team they have been building toward and they have a true Mr. Football candidate in Braedon Sloan.

Beware: Central, Corbin, Franklin County, Hopkinsville

5A:

My Pick- Frederick Douglass. This may prove to be the most wide open class and best class pound for pound. Freddy D is my tough choice because they were so close last year and should be right around the same level in 2019 with the elite talent they return.

My Top Contender- Covington Catholic. The Colonels have literally massive shoes to fill losing All-American and All-Everything Michael Mayer, but Coach Eviston has a machine going right now. Caleb Jacob is very underrated at QB.

My Dangerous Third- Owensboro. The Devils kind of flew under the radar in 2019 before giving Frederick Douglass all they wanted in the Semi's. Owensboro returns an excellent core including their QB and best WR and also their best defensive player.

Beware: (shew) Scott County, Bowling Green, South Warren, Pulaski County, Highlands, and South Oldham

6A:

My Pick- Trinity. All they do is win Chips... even when you beat them in the regular season they still get it done when it matters.

My Top Contender- Male. Male will either be thought as the second best or best team in KY all season most likely, but with a loaded Trinity team how can you give them that vote of confidence for #1 even with what the Bulldogs have back? There's a reason Coach Wolfe was shopping his name out even with one of the best talent pools in all of the Bluegrass at his disposal.

My Dangerous Third- North Hardin. They made a believer out of me and have a massive amount of skill back. The problem is the best of Louisville just is so much better.

Beware: Fern Creek, McCracken County, Manual

1A:

My Top Contender- Paintsville. The Tigers have star power back and should have a fire in their belly after getting embarrassed in the Finals.

Curious if Paintsville has any Williamsburg-in-2014 vibes this year. Embarrassed by a superior team in the finals the previous year. Come back against the same team with a year of experience and give that same team an absolute dogfight for the championship.