Open Job: Marshall County

It is, although they’ve had it before in the past. Probably no better place to live, though in the state if you are a fan of the outdoors and recreation.

They do have facilities.

Absolutely a great place to live! As far as football, they have 1A talent playing 5A football. They benefit by dropping down a couple classes.

Absolutely a great place to live! As far as football, they have 1A talent playing 5A football. They benefit by dropping down a couple classes.

They are actually are 5A enrollment wise and elected to play up in 6A, which I didn't blame them for that. It was either Bowling Green, South Warren, Christian County & Greenwood or (and, no offense to these programs at all, but I think we'd all agree they're much more similar to) Daviess County, Apollo, Henderson County, McCracken County.

I agree with what you said though in regards to talent level/numbers wise compared to the actual class. There are so many rural county type schools out there who, size wise are one class, but as far as talent-numbers and where they draw their kids from? Much much smaller in class.

If true that is stupid on the KHSAA because Marshall should be in 5A playing in District 1 with Owensboro, Graves, Grayson, Breckinridge, Ohio, and Muhlenburgh. KHSAA should have moved one of the teams closer to the BG area into that district and let Marshall compete in District 1. There I believe Marshall could compete for the 3 spot and have more success in district play.

If true that is stupid on the KHSAA because Marshall should be in 5A playing in District 1 with Owensboro, Graves, Grayson, Breckinridge, Ohio, and Muhlenburgh. KHSAA should have moved one of the teams closer to the BG area into that district and let Marshall compete in District 1. There I believe Marshall could compete for the 3 spot and have more success in district play.

You would have thought.

That was already going to be a 6 team district, an I believe it was thought they would end up with Christian, Bowling Green, South Warren, Greenwood which would have made it a 6 team district as well (although geography wise would/should have meant Marshall would have swapped out with Grayson, Breck, Ohio, Muhlenberg)

Then again, I could completely be wrong with all of this.

I thought they had released the projected districts & again, I could be way off (I know they did that in previous realignments. They'd release the projected then it was a rat race scramble to position yourself better if it meant playing up was better than the class you actually are).

I will also say I don't think the talent pool at Marshall is that of a 1A school. I believe there are a lot of kids who are single sport athletes that do not play football because the program has been so bad in recent years. If a school is competitive in basically every single sport except football I don't believe you have an athlete issue you have a football culture issue. If they were bad at everything I could agree with you. Gonna have to hire somebody who can get kids out on the field and excited to play football.

They are actually are 5A enrollment wise and elected to play up in 6A, which I didn't blame them for that. It was either Bowling Green, South Warren, Christian County & Greenwood or (and, no offense to these programs at all, but I think we'd all agree they're much more similar to) Daviess County, Apollo, Henderson County, McCracken County.

I agree with what you said though in regards to talent level/numbers wise compared to the actual class. There are so many rural county type schools out there who, size wise are one class, but as far as talent-numbers and where they draw their kids from? Much much smaller in class.

I didn’t realize they went up to 6A this year.

I agree, its partially lack of talent, but the football culture of losing defintely hurts their roster numbers. They used to be a highly competitive program, but have had only one or two teams since the late 90's that has been competitive. I am gonna tell you basketball and soccer are king at Marshall, with football getting the leftovers.

I agree, its partially lack of talent, but the football culture of losing defintely hurts their roster numbers. They used to be a highly competitive program, but have had only one or two teams since the late 90's that has been competitive. I am gonna tell you basketball and soccer are king at Marshall, with football getting the leftovers.

Last time I recall them being good was when Daniel Ard was playing there.

They definitely care about those two sports there and are successful. That's for sure. Most know what their gym looks like- a Taj Mahal of sorts, and their Soccer complex/stadium is as nice as many football facilities across the state.

It's odd to say that soccer is pulling from the football talent in a high school because usually it's trying to get the basketball kids out but in this case I agree with you. I have been to several soccer games of Marshall and I'm looking at kids that would be excellent secondary players and skill guys on offense. I believe that getting somebody in there who knows how to work with low numbers of skill players and can maximize the talent they have will be key. I know they are using a run heavy scheme offensively with the bone and triple option look but it makes them very one dimensional. I have always believed that the wing-t could be successful there because it gives you the running game with enough passing options to keep defenses honest. Also you only need a few true skill players to make it work.