Is Logan Castleman the runaway choice for Mr. Baseball?

As I have thought about this thread, I have tried to put aside my BW and Castleman bias and realistically think about the stellar performance of these two outstanding baseball players. My look at AJ Hacker's pitching performance finds enough stats to alone put him as a strong contender. His WHIP of 0.75 is exceptional, as is his 1.72 Ks per 7 innings, and only 23 BBs in 69.2 innings. Only 42.5% of his opponents are able to put the ball in play for an opponents .139 batting average, and he has only allowed 6 earned runs resulting in a 10 win, 1 loss (against Montgomery County for BW fans), 1 save. I will not repeat his impressive offensive stats, but certainly one of best in the state and somewhat behind Castleman in every measureable number.

I do believe that there probably is not a better CF in Ky HS baseball than Castleman. His range, arm, instincts, and overall defensive ability place him in a league by himself. The disruption he creates on the basepaths creates an air of excitement every times he gets on.

So which position in its own right is more critical to a team? CF with an offensive juggernaut playing the position, or an absolute shutdown pitcher that happens to be the team's best offensive weapon. Major league contracts have 4 of the top 5 contracts going to pitchers (that are minimal offensive threats) with Mike Trout having the 3rd highest salary being a CF that might arguably be the best offensive player in the majors.

I hate to admit that if it is still close between these two, it might come down to something truly exceptional in the State playoffs making the difference. Both started the Sectionals with outstanding performances. Afraid the name of this thread might possibly be more accurate if it was "Is AJ Hacker.......?"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the season continues on, my pick for Mr. Baseball is AJ Hacker. Castleman has better batting numbers (slightly) but Hacker's pitching numbers give him the edge. He has been nothing short of incredible over the last month or so.

Not sure slightly is the correct description.

200 pts slugging difference

160 pts batting average difference

6 more RBI'S and I believe Logan bats 1st or 2nd not 3 or 4 as AJ does

OB is 135 points difference

Fielding percentage AJ 932- with 8 errors

Logan fielding percentage 1000 - 0 errors

SB - 3 AJ

SB - 36 Logan

Doubles - 7 AJ

Doubles - 15 Logan

Triples - 1 Aj

Triples - 4 Logan

Maybe slightly was the wrong word...but the pitching stats definitely help. I know Logan doesn't pitch so that hurts him in this race a bit. Hacker's pitching statistics are just hard to overlook.

Hopefully both teams can keep winning until the finals and match-up with each other. That sure would be something.

There is no argument that Logan is a superior offensive player at the plate and one of the best baserunners in the state. AJ is a solid offensive producer, but no great shakes on the bases. Is that edge enough to overcome the inarguably great HS shutdown pitcher (maybe best in the state) against the sterling defense of probably the best center fielder in the state? Major league contracts would say the superior starting pitcher is more valuable. Maybe this doesn't relate to Mr. Ky High School Baseball voting.