Woodford County hires Jaron Brown as new boys basketball coach.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, first time member. I was told about this site years ago by a friend. I’ve always been impressed by the accuracy of coaching hires. I’m replying to this thread as I was unable to reply to the other, because it was closed. I’ll try to stay within the user parameters. This site pretty much followed the circus in real time at Woodford. Unfortunately, a lot of coaching hires are full of nepotism and politics. This hire was mostly due to family and friends in the school and on the committee. His current employer is also a former principal in the county. A non tenured teacher with same position as new coach was pink slipped by the interim principal to open a position for the new coach. There was rumor that they offered first to a paraprofessional but couldn’t do it. The most impressive resume didn’t get considered, probably Tony Wise. There is a long time teacher and very good former player and coach in the district that wasn’t considered. Sad. Might want to clean up social media accounts. Not sure some things are appropriate for the development of youth. There’s my 2 cents. Hope it makes the cut.

Welcome to the site Gulf, a lot of interesting information in your post. I will agree the hiring process at Woodford County was quite the circus for a while. A lot of rumors surrounded this hire for a while and with rumors you never really know which are true and false. I have heard the social media might need a clean up for Coach Brown. Either way the hire is what it is and they arent going to change it now. We will see how it plays out.

I think all that’s being said is if you gonna fill a job before it’s advertised, don’t waste everybody’s time. I know the man gulf is talking about in midway. Best coach my son ever had. Good player and been to state as a coach. There was only 21 applied. They coulda interviewed them all. If you gonna let the same handful of coaches float around the state job to job what good is that for the kids.

Gulf,

Jaron Brown's resume is both extensive and broad based, as can be seen from his experience playing basketball at Bryan Station High School, Maine Central Institute, Univ. of Pittsburgh, Australia Professional Basketball, and the Memphis Grizzlies Summer League. His successes on the basketball court have extended to off court achievements as well, such as graduating in four years with a degree in social science, community service work with inner city kids through the P.A.L (Police Athletic League), and AAU Basketball mentoring young men from various backgrounds. Most recently he has gained significant coaching experience as Junior Varsity Head Boys Coach and Varsity Assistant at Bryan Station High School. As well as Head Coach of a semi-pro basketball team, the Kentucky Stallions and the Head Coach of the boy’s Lexington Christian Middle School. Going further into his background, he is a native of Lexington and 1998 graduate of Bryan Station High School. After completing a successful high school career, he went on to play at one of the top Prep Schools in the country (Maine Central Institute) in 1998. After one year, Jaron attended University of Pittsburgh where he earned his Bachelor’s degree in Social Science. He is currently working on a Master’s in LBD at Georgetown College. While playing at Pittsburgh, he appeared in three Sweet Sixteen tournaments and was ranked as high as #2. He also has an academic award named after him that they give to an athlete who excels in the classroom during the time of their season at Pittsburgh. I am confident his years as both a coach and player have proven the level of success to which he strives to obtain. Also, I am confident that Coach Brown's tireless work ethic, basketball knowledge, and commitment to success will spark a winning culture for the long-term at Woodford County. To say "this hire was mostly due to family and friends in the school and on the committee" is completely FALSE. You will be hard pressed to find an applicant more qualified than Coach Jaron Brown. Please do your homework. Woodford County is very excited about our future under Coach Brown's leadership!

Gulf,

Jaron Brown's resume is both extensive and broad based, as can be seen from his experience playing basketball at Bryan Station High School, Maine Central Institute, Univ. of Pittsburgh, Australia Professional Basketball, and the Memphis Grizzlies Summer League. His successes on the basketball court have extended to off court achievements as well, such as graduating in four years with a degree in social science, community service work with inner city kids through the P.A.L (Police Athletic League), and AAU Basketball mentoring young men from various backgrounds. Most recently he has gained significant coaching experience as Junior Varsity Head Boys Coach and Varsity Assistant at Bryan Station High School. As well as Head Coach of a semi-pro basketball team, the Kentucky Stallions and the Head Coach of the boy’s Lexington Christian Middle School. Going further into his background, he is a native of Lexington and 1998 graduate of Bryan Station High School. After completing a successful high school career, he went on to play at one of the top Prep Schools in the country (Maine Central Institute) in 1998. After one year, Jaron attended University of Pittsburgh where he earned his Bachelor’s degree in Social Science. He is currently working on a Master’s in LBD at Georgetown College. While playing at Pittsburgh, he appeared in three Sweet Sixteen tournaments and was ranked as high as #2. He also has an academic award named after him that they give to an athlete who excels in the classroom during the time of their season at Pittsburgh. I am confident his years as both a coach and player have proven the level of success to which he strives to obtain. Also, I am confident that Coach Brown's tireless work ethic, basketball knowledge, and commitment to success will spark a winning culture for the long-term at Woodford County. To say "this hire was mostly due to family and friends in the school and on the committee" is completely FALSE. You will be hard pressed to find an applicant more qualified than Coach Jaron Brown. Please do your homework. Woodford County is very excited about our future under Coach Brown's leadership!

Welcome to BGP @Basketball Mom

Great first post!

I’m very sorry. The truth hurts. I had a front row seat. Do you really think he is the only applicant with playing and coaching experience? He’s only been a certified teacher for a short time. False? NOT. Guru, it was a coach/administrator that told me about this site. Once again, amazing accuracy.

I think Coach Brown’s resume is impressive as a player and basketball person. But my concern is his limited background in education and teaching. “Coaching is Teaching”.

And there is a “HUGE” difference between coaching high school basketball and AAU basketball. Anybody that does not acknowledge that fact has not had a child play both at a high level.

Coaching high school basketball is so much for than coaching AAU ball. I’m not saying coaches have to be teacher but they have to understand learning styles, readiness skills, sequence, age-appropriate activities, etc. Educators are trained in those areas. Plus high school coaches have rules, regulations, as well as working with the faculty, grades, coordinating with other sports, etc.

My concern is not that Coach Brown is not a good basketball person. My concern is why did administration not practice what they preach. Administers are always the first to say “Education comes First” .... but when they had a chance to follow their own philosophy ... FAIL. But I guess that is my opinion.