Open Job: Woodford County

Guest BehindTheLine

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this, there has been interest from very qualified coaches for sure. I still think current JV coach Derrick Robinson will be the hire. He’s already in the building and Woodford doesn’t have many teaching vacancies. Also, Woodford has a LONG history, other then Scott Hundley, of hiring the current assistant to replace the retiring/leaving head coach.

Well .... if the method of hiring within has been successful for them then you can’t argue with it. I’m not familiar with Woodford past hiring practices so I don’t know how success that practice has been but you have to believe if the administration and community continues to hire within then it has worked for them.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion Woodford Co. is a diamond in the rough! Good talent, good support and great community!!

Too many administers are trying to make a big splash instead of hiring the right basketball coach. Hiring the righ coach is about the kids, making a big splash is about the administration making a name for themself. Woodford Co. is one hire away from being a great program.

Guest BehindTheLine

Tall, you seem pretty emphatic on the idea of Woodford conducting a “true” search. Is there a candidate you feel they should hire outside the program or what would be so wrong with them hiring internally?

Tall, has commented on a lot of these new hires that it’s been a “strictly local search” which is fine he feels that way. I’m not sure what he’s searching for but he’s not finding it. There is so much more that goes into getting a coaching job then the actual coaching aspect.

To mooremiller and behind the line. I am not just referring to the Woodford job. If you look at the hires for boys basketball in the last 3 years inKentucky it is overwhelmingly local coaches only. That is not feeling .That is a fact. Yes,schools can hire who ever they choose. With that being said, I know for a fact that there a few outstanding candidate with sterling resumes who would like the opportunity to coach in the state of Kentucky, but because they are not from the area or they don’t “know” someone on the inside, they don’t even get the opportunity to interview. Again, schools can hire whomever they choose. Just suggesting that A D’s might want to broaden their scope in their search. Especially if they want a program that will compete consistently at the state level.

Guest BehindTheLine

I agree with mooremiller31, there is so much more that goes into coaching than just the coaching aspect itself. Perhaps some of these sterling resumes are not as sterling as you may think if they are not getting interviews. In addition, not sure if broadening a coaching search has any correlation to competing at state levels..........

I think something that gets lost in these searches is the actual "school position" schools have to offer. If a school doesn't have teaching openings or board office positions it's unrealistic to think a 10,000-15,000 coaching stipend can be enough persuade a long distance move. This is why it's often easier to keep positions locally or in house for a school district.

A little update from what I've been hearing for those interested. The Athletic Director, Dennis Johnson, has delayed the hiring process to be able to interview more candidates. I do know Woodford County lacks certified teaching position openings so they are looking in house, aka Derrick Robinson, or for someone that has a job in another district already and can commute or doesn't need a teaching job. I do know Mike Allen, Jaron Brown, and Ellis Myles all had interviews for the position as late as last week. From what I have been told from a reliable source, which I will not name so dont DM and ask me to, the list is down to 4 with the above four names mentioned as being the ones.

In my opinion this has gotten quite ridiculous that this job hasnt been filled. Luckily for WC they have someone like Derrick Robinson who has taken the reigns and kept the off season workouts going and kids working. I by no means endorse him or any other candidate I just think this has been dragged out way too long.