2018/2019 BluegrassPreps Boys Basketball Rankings Week 8 Discussion

I think an argument can be made for Lexington Catholic but their record doesn’t help them out at all.

Wow, that seems like quite a reach with their resume' on January 22nd. Forget the loss by 25 to CovCath, that is excusable, but then mix in a 1 point win over a very "meh" P.L. Dunbar team, a loss to Beechwood (they are decent, not great), a home loss to Newport (who, again, is good, but not great), and then a loss to an okay Lafayette team.

I'm not sure the Knights are Top 5 in the 11th Region alone, so placement in anyone's Top 20 would seem like you're either basing it on tradition, or basing it on the come that they'll keep improving and make some noise in the post-season.

They have certainly been better since the calendar turned, but against lesser competition, and still, don't feel like a Top 20-ish team to me.

At the end of the day, we know who is coming out of the 11th, so ranking them or not is simply a discussion point.

I was talking about LexCath from the jump. I’m not sure who you are talking about. LexCath lost to Scott County by 16 in a game that was fairly close until the last quarter. No other KY team has played a fully healthy Scott County team that close.

I stand corrected, had Lex Christian on my mind. Still a little hard to rank a sub par 500 team.

Wow, that seems like quite a reach with their resume' on January 22nd. Forget the loss by 25 to CovCath, that is excusable, but then mix in a 1 point win over a very "meh" P.L. Dunbar team, a loss to Beechwood (they are decent, not great), a home loss to Newport (who, again, is good, but not great), and then a loss to an okay Lafayette team.

I'm not sure the Knights are Top 5 in the 11th Region alone, so placement in anyone's Top 20 would seem like you're either basing it on tradition, or basing it on the come that they'll keep improving and make some noise in the post-season.

They have certainly been better since the calendar turned, but against lesser competition, and still, don't feel like a Top 20-ish team to me.

At the end of the day, we know who is coming out of the 11th, so ranking them or not is simply a discussion point.

Agreed.

I am looking at it like they play in the 11th. Toughest region in the state. They have one of the toughest schedules in the state as they have a nice amount of strong out of region teams on their schedule.

I also admit that I am giving them credit for their loss to Scott County.

That Dunbar team beat Cooper. So while Dunbar also has a poor record they also have the talent to play with most teams in the state on a given night.

I’m not big on Beechwood but they didn’t get blown out by them.

I like Newport more than Beechwood and Newport didn’t blow them out either.

Lafayette isn’t bad. They aren’t great. That district is insane and intense.

I don’t think they are a top 20 team but if folks are going to mention other teams that I feel LexCath could beat or has beaten then as I mentioned earlier I could see an argument for them.

If LexCath defeated Beechwood, Newport and Clay County would that be enough to make them top 20 or would they still be on the outside looking in?

I stand corrected, had Lex Christian on my mind. Still a little hard to rank a sub par 500 team.

Agreed. As far as I know no one is mentioning LexCath as even a top 35 team but if they played a top 20 team and defeated them I don’t think anyone would be surprised.

As for LCA despite their recent play I still feel like they are a top 20 team and their resume to date is proof of that IMO.

Agreed. As far as I know no one is mentioning LexCath as even a top 35 team but if they played a top 20 team and defeated them I don’t think anyone would be surprised.

As for LCA despite their recent play I still feel like they are a top 20 team and their resume to date is proof of that IMO.

Agreed, on any given Lex Cath can beat you, but they just haven't done that enough. if LCA could rid themselves of early January they would be in the top 20.