2 Former South Carolina Deputies Charged With Manslaughter in Drowning Deaths

AverageJoesGym

The 2 deputies, who have already been fired, have been charged with manslaughter when 2 prisoners in their care drowned when they attempted to drive through floodwaters during Hurricane Florence. Very sad story for all involved. The Deputies certainly meant no malice. One of them went to great efforts to try and save the women who drowned. I guess I can see the driver needing to be charged with something for his decision to drive through the floodwaters, but I don't know what the junior Deputy could have done that he didn't do.

Former deputies charged in deaths of women who drowned in transport van during Hurricane Florence - CBS News

If national guardsmen had waved me through, I'd expect that it was still safe to travel.

That's what I thought as well. They talk about him making a conscious effort to drive around the barricade but he was waved through. It's a tragic story but I have a hard time seeing anything criminal in the Deputies actions.

I know in KY sheriff deputies often handle mental health patients. In NKY they are the agency that transports mental health patients that a judge has deemed are in need of service regardless of the patients desires for it and I've never fully understood why. Just a terrible terrible tragedy.

I've got a lot of questions about this situation but a lot of families are going to be hurting for a long time regardless of those answers. Hate to see it.