BGP QOTD: What is something that your parents allowed or encouraged you to do...

With all of the texting and driving, I don't blame you.

That reminds me of another difference with my parents.

When my siblings & I first started driving our parents stressed the risks of drinking/driving and speeding. When our kids started driving we preached the same of course, but I would say I placed more of an emphasis on texting/driving and wearing your seatbelt. My heart is still broken over the poor Cincinnati girl who died in that car accident on prom night – when the kids wearing seatbelts in the car survived.

We had much more freedom to just be "gone" all day. Whether it was 5 miles away fishing or a few blocks away playing basketball, my parents and those of my buddies never really got concerned until after dark if we weren't home.

I think the feeling was that it was safer back then than it is today for kids to be out on thier own.

We had much more freedom to just be "gone" all day. Whether it was 5 miles away fishing or a few blocks away playing basketball, my parents and those of my buddies never really got concerned until after dark if we weren't home.

I think the feeling was that it was safer back then than it is today for kids to be out on thier own.

This for sure! I remember my mom telling us to get out of the house and not come back till lunch/supper time. We rode out bikes for miles or played in the woods for hours. I would never have allowed my kids to disappear for hours.