Capitals 4 Blue Jackets 3 OT (NHL)

swamprat

Eastern Conference Playoffs Round 1 Game 5

Oliver Bjorkstrand tied the game for Columbus in the third period to send it into overtime, but Nicklas Backstrom scored 11:53 into OT to give Washington the win.

The Caps lead the series 3-2 with Game 6 in Columbus Monday night.

Torts is guaranteeing a game 7.

Washington - Columbus Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella guaranteed they will force a Game 7 against the Washington Capitals in the Eastern Conference First Round after a 4-3 overtime loss in Game 5 on Saturday.

"We'll be back here for Game 7," Tortorella said.

After tying the game at 3-3 on Oliver Bjorkstrand's deflection goal 2:30 into the third period, the Blue Jackets had the Capitals on their heels, outshooting them 16-1 in the third period, but couldn't put another shot past goaltender Braden Holtby. The Capitals won in overtime when Backstrom redirected Dmitry Orlov's shot from the point.

It would be understandable if the Blue Jackets were disheartened after such a loss; their season is on the brink after winning the first two games of the series in Washington in overtime. They lost Game 3 and Game 5 in overtime.

But Tortorella said he's not concerned about his players bouncing back.

"I won't have to say a [darn] word to them," Tortorella said. "We'll be back here for Game 7."

Tortorella guarantees Blue Jackets will force Game 7 against Capitals | NHL.com

As a Jackets fan, this was a tough loss to take. They played much better than Game 4 and had plenty of chances to win it but fell short. I fear they're already defeated before stepping on the ice for Game 6. I hope I'm wrong.

Just remember - it's the Capitals.