Monster Energy NASCAR Playoff Standings through 6 Races

theguru

I am a newbie so I have no idea but in general terms once we are in our 40s we are past our prime, by a lot. :)

He's 42 and won the title in 2016. Is there a history of drivers performing well into their 40s?

The oldest champions in the last 25 years:

Dale Earnhardt & Dale Jarrett were both 43

Jimmie Johnson was 41

Terry Labonte and Tony Stewart were both 40

Kevin Harvick was 39.

Harvick is 2 months younger than JJ.

There are tons that have been very competitive in their 40's. Mark Martin was 50 in 2009 and finished second to Jimmie Johnson for the championship.

Edited by coldweatherfan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they say, the fact that there is no speedometer is good. It keeps you from looking down to see how fast you are going.

I understand needing to use a different frame of reference but it still makes it tough for a rookie.

The oldest champions in the last 25 years:

Dale Earnhardt & Dale Jarrett were both 43

Jimmie Johnson was 41

Terry Labonte and Tony Stewart were both 40

Kevin Harvick was 39.

Harvick is 2 months younger than JJ.

There are tons that have been very competitive in their 40's. Mark Martin was 50 in 2009 and finished second to Jimmie Johnson for the championship.

Thanks for all that.

I am finding things to like about all the drivers so at this point it really doesn't matter to me who wins other than I would like to see it spread around a little.

Thanks for all that.

I am finding things to like about all the drivers so at this point it really doesn't matter to me who wins other than I would like to see it spread around a little.

This week's race is Texas. It's a 1.5 mile D-oval and has been one of Jimmie's favorite tracks. He is the all-time wins leader there, and has won 6 of the last 11. Including the spring race last year. If he was going to pull it all together, this would be the place to get it started.

Problem for everyone is that Harvick and Keselowski have been dominant on the intermediate tracks for a couple of years now. They are both very hard to beat, and are very aggressive. I would put Kyle Busch in there too, because he is always strong, but short tracks are really where he kills everybody.

We may be watching Happy Harvick win his 4th of the year. He won at Texas last fall.

This week's race is Texas. It's a 1.5 mile D-oval and has been one fo Jimmie's favorite tracks. He is the all-time wins leader there, and has won 6 of the last 11. Including the spring race last year.

Problem for everyone is that Harvick and Keselowski have been dominant on the intermediate track fr a couple of years now.

We may be watching Happy Harvick win his 4th of the year. He won ate Texas last fall.

You forgot, and Kyle is tried of finishing second. :)

I must have edited it while you were posting. I added him. :D

Great minds think alike.

Please tell me you don't care for the Fantasy Mumbo Jumbo they force down our throats?

I guess racing is really struggling if they have to do that.

Great minds think alike.

Please tell me you don't care for the Fantasy Mumbo Jumbo they force down our throats?

I guess racing is really struggling if they have to do that.

I'm not a fan of fantasy anything.

I like the sport and I like my drivers.

I've been a NASCAR fan for a long time. Seen good changes and bad.

I've been to every track this side of the Mississippi at least once. Except for Darlington, that has never worked out for some reason. Planning to go there next year.

I'm not a fan of fantasy anything.

I like the sport and I like my drivers.

I've been a NASCAR fan for a long time. Seen good changes and bad.

I've been to every track this side of the Mississippi at least once. Except for Darlington, that has never worked out for some reason. Planning to go there next year.

I probably missed it but who are your favorite 2 or 3 drivers and a quick why if you have the time?

Just like Formula 1, I am still figuring out who I like the best.

I probably missed it but who are your favorite 2 or 3 drivers and a quick why if you have the time?

Just like Formula 1, I am still figuring out who I like the best.

I grew up watching NASCAR with my dad. He was a big fan of The King.

Me being who I am couldn't just go along with my dad, I had to pick my own. I picked a young up and comer - Kentucky Boy - Darrell Waltrip. He carried me for a long time.

Others that I really liked along the way were:

Handsome Harry Gant - Liked the speed and the high line. Fun to watch. He holds the record for being the oldest to ever win a race. 52 years / 219 Day old.

Davey Allison - He came in around '83. He died in a helicopter crash '93. He was the pilot.

Ernie Irvan - Just loved his driving style. Sadly his career was shortened. He got hurt bad in a practice crash and almost passed in '94, but held on and came back and competed well up until '99 when he just couldn't go any more.

So with D.W. going out and Ernie going out, I was left finding a new driver or two. There were 3 up and comers bursting on to the scene at the time - Kevin Harvick, Tony Stewart, and Dale Earnhardt Jr. While I liked Tony, I became fans of JR and Harvick.

JR was my favorite of the two. I would have considered myself a JR fan first and a Harvick fan second. I sport both their gear though. That was 1999.

In 2008 I adopted a 3rd driver. I loved his brash style and aggressive driving. And, best of all, we were at Bristol. They were doing the anouncements and he came out and said "I just want everyone to know, Kyle Busch is a butthole" but he didn't say butthole, and I've liked him every since - Bad Brad Keselowski.

So now, with JR's retirement I picked another up and comer - Chase Elliott. Who drove for JR Motorsports before coming up.

Right now, I would say Brad is my favorite, but not by much with Harvick and Chase being pretty much a tie.

I grew up watching NASCAR with my dad. He was a big fan of The King.

Me being who I am couldn't just go along with my dad, I had to pick my own. I picked a young up and comer - Kentucky Boy - Darrell Waltrip. He carried me for a long time.

Others that I really liked along the way were:

Handsome Harry Gant - Liked the speed and the high line. Fun to watch. He holds the record for being the oldest to ever win a race. 52 years / 219 Day old.

Davey Allison - He came in around '83. He died in a helicopter crash '93. He was the pilot.

Ernie Irvan - Just loved his driving style. Sadly his career was shortened. He got hurt bad in a practice crash and almost passed in '94, but held on and came back and competed well up until '99 when he just couldn't go any more.

So with D.W. going out and Ernie going out, I was left finding a new driver or two. There were 3 up and comers bursting on to the scene at the time - Kevin Harvick, Tony Stewart, and Dale Earnhardt Jr. While I liked Tony, I became fans of JR and Harvick.

JR was my favorite of the two. I would have considered myself a JR fan first and a Harvick fan second. I sport both their gear though. That was 1999.

In 2008 I adopted a 3rd driver. I loved his brash style and aggressive driving. And, best of all, we were at Bristol. They were doing the anouncements and he came out and said "I just want everyone to know, Kyle Busch is a butthole" but he didn't say butthole, and I've liked him every since - Bad Brad Keselowski.

So now, with JR's retirement I picked another up and comer - Chase Elliott. Who drove for JR Motorsports before coming up.

Right now, I would say Brad is my favorite, but not by much with Harvick and Chase being pretty much a tie.

Great summary!

I am probably one of the few people that likes Kyle Busch and Brad Keselowski.

What I really like about Brad is him in the booth sometimes and on Race Hub because you really get to know him.

What I really like about Kyle is he is so good no matter which series he is racing in.