Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ashland @ Johnson Central

Featured Replies

Are there no WKY teams for you to bash, westsider? A broken clock is right twice a day.
My posts know no geographic boundaries, Dino ... and my "broken clock" was dead-on about the Eagles last year.

As for "the way things turned out," Johnson Central outplayed the Tomcats in every quarter except the second, which Ashland dominated. A controversial field goal call kept the game from going into OT, and Johnson Central clearly had the momentum in the second half of last year's game. Ala in all, the Golden Eagles played an outstanding game in a hostile environment, so I would not twist my arm out of socket patting myself on the back if I were you. Most flatlanders expected the Tomcats to dominate last year's game and it just didn't happen.
I wasn't "most flatlanders" ... and honestly, best I recall, most of the lopsided predictions on this game were on the Johnson Central side.

 

Like I said, I expected Ashland to win a close game ... and that they did. I questioned whether Johnson Central was a top-10 team ... and they lost in the first round of the playoffs, at home, to an unranked team. No pats on the back are necessary.

Johnson Central is the team to beat this season in the district and those of us who actually know something about the program knew that fact before the season began. I am glad to see you finally jump on the bandwagon. I knew you would come around eventually.:lol:
How do you know what my thoughts were about Johnson Central going into the season? I expected them to be a pretty good team and perhaps even unbeaten at this point of the season, although I wasn't sure they were a legitimate top-10 team entering the season. I had a pretty good idea that the Ashland game would decide the district title.

 

I don't jump on bandwagons. I simply call them as I see them.

  • Replies 86
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 out of 10 Top 10 teams lose in the playoffs every season.
Few, if any, lose in the first round, at home to an unranked team.

Johnson Central deserved to be in the lower part of the top 10 last season
Did they? They lost their only game against a top-10 team and fell to two teams that weren't ranked.
Few, if any, lose in the first round, at home to an unranked team.

Did they? They lost their only game against a top-10 team and fell to two teams that weren't ranked.

Yes, they did at the time, but that was another season and the topic was thoroughly discussed last season. There is no reason to rehash a 12 page thread here. BTW, do you contribute to the BGP rankings?
Historicaly these are the type of games that Ashland has a way of rising to the occasion on. I remember back in 1975 when I was a member of the Johnson Central basketball team. We were ranked #7 in the state and had gone undefeated at home. The last regular season game of the year was against Ashland at home. Ashland had a decent team that year , but was nowhere nearly as talented as Johnson Central. Ashland pulled off the upset of the Golden Eagles on their home floor that night by playing inspired basketball. The after game celebration in the Ashland locker room is something that I can still remember clearly to this day. They flat came ready to play.

 

I take the absence of Ashland posters on this thread as a meaning of an all out business aproach to friday's game. Maybe it might be best for JC posters , fans , and players to just let what happens next friday night do the talking. I really feel this is the Tomcat approach to this game. I really doubt that you will see many Ashland fans post in this thread this year. Last year Johnson Central was the rising unknown. This year Johnson Central is the perceived favorite by most. Ashland has a way of being able to thrive when tagged with the underdog role.

 

I think that Matney will have his team fully focused for this game because I think he very well knows the situation that I am talking about. Ashland is a definate threat in this game and Johnson Central is ripe for the taking if they do not come out just as inspired to play as Ashland does next friday night.

No coach is better at motivating a team than Matney, and whatever is said by a few fans here on BGP will have no bearing on the game. Matney and the Golden Eagle players believe that last season's game should have gone to OT. I vividly recall that Matney accused Ashland of running the score up on a very young Sheldon Clark team one season. The Tomcats had to travel to Inez for a rematch the next season and were heavy favorites, but Ashland went home with a loss.

 

Whether the disputed field goal in last season's game was good or not is not important, but that field goal will play a role in deciding this year's game. JC's players will be playing to avenge an injustice. Home field advantage is particularly important for a young team and Johnson Central will not take the Tomcats lightly.

 

I suspect that the Tomcat fans are scarce because they realize that this year's Ashland team is not as good as last year's team and this year's JC team is better than last year's team. Add the fact that the game will not be played in the friendly confines of Putnam Stadium this season, and Tomcat fans have every reason to be worried about next week's game.

Historicaly these are the type of games that Ashland has a way of rising to the occasion on. I remember back in 1975 when I was a member of the Johnson Central basketball team. We were ranked #7 in the state and had gone undefeated at home. The last regular season game of the year was against Ashland at home. Ashland had a decent team that year , but was nowhere nearly as talented as Johnson Central. Ashland pulled off the upset of the Golden Eagles on their home floor that night by playing inspired basketball. The after game celebration in the Ashland locker room is something that I can still remember clearly to this day. They flat came ready to play.

 

I take the absence of Ashland posters on this thread as a meaning of an all out business aproach to friday's game. Maybe it might be best for JC posters , fans , and players to just let what happens next friday night do the talking. I really feel this is the Tomcat approach to this game. I really doubt that you will see many Ashland fans post in this thread this year. Last year Johnson Central was the rising unknown. This year Johnson Central is the perceived favorite by most. Ashland has a way of being able to thrive when tagged with the underdog role.

 

I think that Matney will have his team fully focused for this game because I think he very well knows the situation that I am talking about. Ashland is a definate threat in this game and Johnson Central is ripe for the taking if they do not come out just as inspired to play as Ashland does next friday night.

 

Good Post I agree 100%:thumb:

A much lower scoring game than most on here are predicting. Two very good defenses battle to the end.

 

Johnson Central 13

Ashland 10

tick...tick...Hurry up clock and get to Friday!! I can't wait. Ashland will be ready and JC will be ready. I hope the festivities do not interfere with their mission. I'm going to say JC 28 Ashland 20 in a war. Xyience be ready for possible duties! Good luck Eagles.

I was hoping you would say that. Give me a call this week.

JC - 35

Ashland -17

Yes, they did at the time, but that was another season and the topic was thoroughly discussed last season. There is no reason to rehash a 12 page thread here. BTW, do you contribute to the BGP rankings?
You maintained that Johnson Central should have been ranked in the top 10 last year ... I simply responded to it with evidence that they shouldn't have.

 

The answer to your question ... yes. Now will you show me my "disparaging" remarks about Johnson Central's program?

You maintained that Johnson Central should have been ranked in the top 10 last year ... I simply responded to it with evidence that they shouldn't have.

 

The answer to your question ... yes. Now will you show me my "disparaging" remarks about Johnson Central's program?

You brought up last season and I responded. Let's get back on topic, shall we?

This thread is going down hill quickly....so I think I should post before it gets closed.

 

JC has known from the beginning of the season this was going to be a tough game. Our boys and their coaches are going to be prepared for a tough battle. My hope is for good sportsmanship and an injury free, exciting game.

 

Grim show what your made of!!

 

JC-28

Ashland-14

Still waiting ...
Anybody who wants to get a good feel of the low regard that you have had for the Johnson Central team can use the forum's search feature. A good starting place would be the 19 instances in which you have used the words "Johnson Central" and "schedule" in the same post. You have shown a keen interest in the Golden Eagles fortunes and only recently have had anything good to say about the program.

 

Have you ever seen any Johnson Central footbal team play, either since Jim Matney began coaching the team or before he arrived three years ago? I am just trying to get a handle on why you have been so doggedly determined to diminish the accomplishments of this team and its coaching staff (not to mention last year's team).

 

Despite Johnson Central's schedule, the Golden Eagles have been ranked in the top 10 of all of the major computer ranking systems' top 10 for quite awhile (these systems do take SOS into account, BTW). I believe that BGP was the last of the polls/rankings to acknowledge the strength of this team. The team was deep last season and returned 14 starters. Everybody close to the program knew that the Golden Eagles were blessed with a stable of talented young running backs and would not miss Ron Blume this season at all (not to take anything away from Ron, who was an outstanding back).

 

Are you on the panel that prepares the BGP rankings? If so, that would explain your unusual interest in a team's fortunes so far removed from your home in western Kentucky.

 

Now, do you have anything to add to this topic? I am finished discussing last season with you in this thread - this is a new season and a new team.

I feel like those monday night football commericals...

 

Today is Sunday, only 5 more days until this game.

Anybody who wants to get a good feel of the low regard that you have had for the Johnson Central team can use the forum's search feature. A good starting place would be the 19 instances in which you have used the words "Johnson Central" and "schedule" in the same post. You have shown a keen interest in the Golden Eagles fortunes and only recently have had anything good to say about the program.
You made the accusation. Back it up with some evidence.

 

And where was I "disparaging" Johnson Central last season? I simply pointed out that the soft schedule called the team's strength into some question. The way the season played out ... I was evidently right.

 

Obviously, it kills you that I was dead-on in my assessment of last year's team. This season, there is no doubt with anyone that Johnson Central is a top-10 team.

Despite Johnson Central's schedule, the Golden Eagles have been ranked in the top 10 of all of the major computer ranking systems' top 10 for quite awhile (these systems do take SOS into account, BTW). I believe that BGP was the last of the polls/rankings to acknowledge the strength of this team.
BGP has had Johnson Central ranked in the top 10 since the end of Week 4, the second weekend in September. The first Massey Ratings came out that week, with Johnson Central at #10 in 3A. The Eagles were #8, I believe, in the BGP rankings that week. Cantrall, a system some of the JC fans were blasting last year, had the Eagles at #5 a week before the others put them in the top 10.
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.