Need a mechanic in Louisville

NamecipS

My son's truck is having a problem with the throttle. It's a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. When he accelerates past 45, the truck shuts down. Based on what I'm being told and what I found in a few forums, it's probably the Throttle Position Sensor. It is a fairly easy straightforward fix, but I can't get down there to do it and he doesn't have any tools.

Need a reliable mechanic or someone was willing to help him out. By reliable, I mean someone who's not going to rip off an 18 year old who knows next to nothing about cars. We've already had that happen in Lexington. Guy swore all he needed was a tune up. Of course I knew that wasn't the problem, but the boy didn't and went for it. Yeah, now he has fresh spark plugs and wires (and something else but the boy doesn't know what it was) and it's still not running right.

After this, maybe the boy will listen when I tell him his truck is a KY only truck and shouldn't be driven to Mrytle Beach.

Not sure about the 02, but up to the 98 models there is also a second sensor tied to that, had to replace both once in my old truck. But I think you are digging down the right rabbit hole.

What part of the ville is he in, I will ask some people down there.

University of Louisville

Brenzels on Burnett at Texas across from Manual Stadium. Honest and fairly priced.

1137 E Burnett Ave, Louisville, KY 40217

+1 502-636-1852

I followed this advice from RM when my daughter had car trouble down there a couple years ago. Ultimately the car ended up not being worth fixing, but I was happy with the way this mechanic handled everything.

My son's truck is having a problem with the throttle. It's a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. When he accelerates past 45, the truck shuts down. Based on what I'm being told and what I found in a few forums, it's probably the Throttle Position Sensor. It is a fairly easy straightforward fix, but I can't get down there to do it and he doesn't have any tools.

Need a reliable mechanic or someone was willing to help him out. By reliable, I mean someone who's not going to rip off an 18 year old who knows next to nothing about cars. We've already had that happen in Lexington. Guy swore all he needed was a tune up. Of course I knew that wasn't the problem, but the boy didn't and went for it. Yeah, now he has fresh spark plugs and wires (and something else but the boy doesn't know what it was) and it's still not running right.

After this, maybe the boy will listen when I tell him his truck is a KY only truck and shouldn't be driven to Mrytle Beach.

The spinners are spinning too fast. :laugh:

Update: Took it to Brenzels. They gave it the once over and drove it around, but could not reproduce the issue. They checked the connecting wires for the MAF, TPS and the throttle body. Called him and said they couldn't reproduce it and to come pick it up and bring it back if it happens again. No charge.

I think they probably did the computer reset process(disconnect the battery for more than 5 minutes). Once the auxiliary power runs out, the computer will reset when power is restored. I believe that's what happened. But I'm not a mechanic.

Thanks to everyone who suggested Brenzels. He said they were very helpful and patient with him when he was trying to explain the issue.

Update: Took it to Brenzels. They gave it the once over and drove it around, but could not reproduce the issue. They checked the connecting wires for the MAF, TPS and the throttle body. Called him and said they couldn't reproduce it and to come pick it up and bring it back if it happens again. No charge.

I think they probably did the computer reset process(disconnect the battery for more than 5 minutes). Once the auxiliary power runs out, the computer will reset when power is restored. I believe that's what happened. But I'm not a mechanic.

Thanks to everyone who suggested Brenzels. He said they were very helpful and patient with him when he was trying to explain the issue.

Awesome! Don't you love they didn't charge him? That's what I mean about them. They are really honest A

and fair in their dealings with their customers. Everywhere else will charge you labor and/or diagnostic fees regardless.

Awesome! Don't you love they didn't charge him? That's what I mean about them. They are really honest A

and fair in their dealings with their customers. Everywhere else will charge you labor and/or diagnostic fees regardless.

It was very nice that they didn't charge him. Told him they're his go to mechanic shop for the next 4 years while he's in Louisville.

That boy is something else though. "Dad, since we didn't have to pay anything for the truck, can I take the money we were planning to pay and go shopping for clothes instead?"

@nees1212 you got any work for him in Louisville? He needs money.

It was very nice that they didn't charge him. Told him they're his go to mechanic shop for the next 4 years while he's in Louisville.

That boy is something else though. "Dad, since we didn't have to pay anything for the truck, can I take the money we were planning to pay and go shopping for clothes instead?"

@nees1212 you got any work for him in Louisville? He needs money.

LOL. He would've been set if he stayed local. I had 2 umpires back out on me this fall.