4A #4 Ashland vs. Boyd County

Who wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Ashland with a running clock
    • Ashland in full regulation
    • Boyd County does the unthinkable

This will be a similar result as the Rowan County game, Boyd County football at the moment is about as bad as I have ever seen it. I miss the rivalry and wish this game would be competitive again. That said, Ashland's JV and Freshmen will get to gain some valuable experience in the second half of this one.

That's not surprising, Fairview is 2-3 and one of their two wins was a 36-14 win over Boyd County, the Eagles other win was a 66-46 shootout versus a 1-4 Lewis County team. Interest in football from the kids that are enrolled at Boyd County has hit an all time low in my lifetime. I'm sure there is plenty of talent walking the halls at BCHS which makes it hard to comprehend how the program has fallen so far in recent years.

I am not posting to try to slam the kids / players at Boyd, those kids have to love the game and should be respected. Having said that, it's just a shame what has happened to the BCHS program.

I am old enough to remember when Boyd was a power program (70's) and the Lion / Tomcat rivalry was the game of the season in our NEKY area. Names like Coach T. Scott and players like T. Keelin, R. Chaney and others were always grabbing headlines.

That's not surprising, Fairview is 2-3 and one of their two wins was a 36-14 win over Boyd County, the Eagles other win was a 66-46 shootout versus a 1-4 Lewis County team. Interest in football from the kids that are enrolled at Boyd County has hit an all time low in my lifetime. I'm sure there is plenty of talent walking the halls at BCHS which makes it hard to comprehend how the program has fallen so far in recent years.

At best, football is 4th on the pecking order at Boyd County behind basketball, baseball, and soccer. It doesn't help matters that they've had 5 or 6 coaches in the last 20 years. No one sticks around for more than 4 or 5 years. With the current state of that program, even a good coach will need more than a few years to get them back to a winning level. No one can say for sure if Manning's the right guy yet, but I hope they give him enough time to build something in Cannonsburg. If Greenup can turn things around, so can Boyd.