Bowling Green vs. Male updates (Scrimmage)

No excuses. Male got it handed to them by the Purples. There was no score on the board in this scrimmage. Purples varsity handled the Bulldogs early. Male had no idea how to defend BG quick passes. Male's running back looks very good and the offensive line settled down and helped move the ball. A couple of end zone throws could have evened the score but one was snatched out of the Male receivers hand. The other was picked off by the Male db but after a scrum, officials called it a BG touchdown. Both teams returned a kickoff for a touchdown.

Once the JV took the field I truly felt like Male had the advantage and quickly scored two long touchdowns on screen passes. Depth may become a factor for both teams.

Best of luck to both teams moving forward. I hope BG comes to Male next year for a scrimmage.

Hambone,

Good Luck to the Bulldogs this year! Hope to see you at the scrimmage next year!

I'd probably pump the brakes a bit. Male was out of shape, and returned 2 starters on each side of the ball I heard. Neither team executed well by any means.

How could they be "out of shape"?????? I understand Male is searching for consistency at QB.

How could they be "out of shape"?????? I understand Male is searching for consistency at QB.

There were a few rumbles in the stands about a few Sr. Bulldogs who lacked the appearance of being in great shape.

Consistency at QB is a must. After having Mattingly and Shelton (6A POY and Mr. Football nominee) running the offense, inexperience is the biggest knock on Chesher who played behind Thomas last season.

There were a few rumbles in the stands about a few Sr. Bulldogs who lacked the appearance of being in great shape.

And I got soundly lambasted on here last year for even suggesting that Male could have possibly been inadequately conditioned to play 4 quarters of football or that an opponent might be in better shape then they were. A Chris Wolfe coached team will never be in bad shape our less conditioned then any opponent I was told, I couldn't possibly understand because I'd never seen a Chris Wolfe practice. What happened in the last 10 months?

And I got soundly lambasted on here last year for even suggesting that Male could have possibly been inadequately conditioned to play 4 quarters of football or that an opponent might be in better shape then they were. A Chris Wolfe coached team will never be in bad shape our less conditioned then any opponent I was told, I couldn't possibly understand because I'd never seen a Chris Wolfe practice. What happened in the last 10 months?

First I've seen of the team since the playoff loss to St. X.

Appearances can be deceiving. I'm sure conditioning is just one of the things Coach Wolfe will address this week.

In my opinion?

They were the defending champs in 2016, coming off an amazing season last year. Many people were hoping that they would repeat despite their losses on the roster. This made them very sensitive about any criticism, especially coming from someone connected to Trinity (the biggest threat to a repeat).

This year is pressure is off as 2016 was a good season, but not an amazing one.

To me It looked like Male was taking it for what it was...a scrimmage! A practice game. It didn't mean anything. Two teams trying to get better, before the real games start. No sense trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Good luck to Male this season. A great group of young men.