Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star: BGP's Astronomy Thread

Featured Replies

Be safe. Did you consider Hopkinsville or just too much traffic worry?

 

I can get to where I'm going for 100% coverage in less than half the time and hopefully a LOT less crowded. The place we are going to try to get to is just out of the way but right in the 100% band.

  • Replies 611
  • Views 95.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TB&G, Owl, Professor, and others- check in tonight if you get a chance and tell us what the atmosphere is like where you are.

I'm not leaving until around 6:30 in the morning, going toward Cookeville, Tn. It's about a 3 hour drive from where I live so we should be in the area at least 2 to 3 hours before it starts. I am a little concerned about heavy traffic, though.

  • Author
I'm not leaving until around 6:30 in the morning, going toward Cookeville, Tn. It's about a 3 hour drive from where I live so we should be in the area at least 2 to 3 hours before it starts. I am a little concerned about heavy traffic, though.

 

Good idea about leaving at 6:30. I wouldn't leave any later than that.

  • Author

After much deliberation , I ended up in Madisonville , TN , high atop the hills of a vineyard. That's right, eclipses and wine... perfect combination. I may see double eclipses today. :) I am on the center line of totality. Totality will begin here at 2:32:53 EDT and will last for 2 min. 38 seconds, only 2 seconds shorter than Hopkinsville.

 

For those in a totality zone, of course take in the magnificent corona today but absorb the whole experience as I outlined in the post above. Remember, this kind of eclipse occurs nowhere else in our solar system and possibly nowhere else in the universe. This is a special day. Enjoy it !!!!

  • Author

To get us going this morning, how about some music.... some music with a theme for this big day. Let's start with a wakeup tune from Cat Stevens.

 

  • Author

Stargazers, are you awake and excited? The sun has made it's appearance in the morning sky and awaits it's shadow dance with our Moon in a few hours.

 

[video=youtube;DLOth-BuCNY]

  • Author

Share your experience of today's events after it's all over. I hope everyone has a memorable day !!!!

  • Author

I hope my star-gazing friends enjoyed the morning's playlist. Have a Great American Eclipse day !!!!

 

 

 

 

"Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the Sun.... But mama, that's where the fun is."

 

My mama also told me to have fun but wear protection. That was always sage advice and is for 8/21/17 as well. Have fun everyone!!! Be safe. I'm off to the vineyard.

@Science Friction

 

We're in sync because I woke this morning thinking that this event needs a soundtrack, and every song that you posted was exactly where I was headed.

 

"Hey Now It's The Sun An It Makes Me Shine" :)

 

[video=youtube;2gizpD-jg3Q]

  • Author
@Science Friction

 

We're in sync because I woke this morning thinking that this event needs a soundtrack, and every song that you posted was exactly where I was headed.

 

"Hey Now It's The Sun An It Makes Me Shine" :)

 

[video=youtube;2gizpD-jg3Q]

 

We are always in sync, my friend. It's almost scary sometimes.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.