Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rules Question: Jump Ball

Featured Replies

What is rule for jump balls? Can a player touch the ball on the way up or do they have to wait for it to be at the peak?

 

I've seen kids grab the ball basically out of the ref's hand and I've seen them wait till it's almost all the way up. Just wondering the correct call.

Jumpers cannot contact ball until after it has reached its highest point.

Seen way to many this year where it has been gotten on the way up. You would think one of the refs would see it and call it.

  • Author
Seen way to many this year where it has been gotten on the way up. You would think one of the refs would see it and call it.

 

if that happens, does it just go to the other team? And I would agree I've seen it called both ways, or not called both ways.

Who remembers the most infamous jump ball mis-call in the history of intercollegiate basketball in Kentucky? (Hint: it happened last century.)

Clyde?

 

BirdBrain nailed it but it's rarely called unless it's a pure steal of the tip before it even comes close to its apex. I can't tell you the last time I've seen it called but I also can't tell you the last time I saw a blatant steal of the tip.

if that happens, does it just go to the other team? And I would agree I've seen it called both ways, or not called both ways.

 

Yes. Violation. Set arrow opposite.

A friend of mine who referees a lot of college games says there is serious talk about getting away from opening tips in the college game. They would simply give the ball to the visiting team or have a coin flip at the captains meeting.

Mixed feelings on this one.

  • Author

Thanks everyone for the info, that really helps.

A friend of mine who referees a lot of college games says there is serious talk about getting away from opening tips in the college game. They would simply give the ball to the visiting team or have a coin flip at the captains meeting.

Mixed feelings on this one.

 

That makes zero sense. Why would they want to eliminate the tip? The only jump balls that need to go is NBA rules.

That makes zero sense. Why would they want to eliminate the tip? The only jump balls that need to go is NBA rules.

 

I've watched dozens of college basketball games this year. I've yet to see what constitutes a legal "tip" on a jump ball.

 

I agree with your NBA statement for sure.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.