Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Grammy's - Your Highs and Lows ???

Featured Replies

Wait, outside of probably half the audience in attendance (and some performers) being "high", there are actual high points at the Grammys?

 

I guess you can tell I'm no fan.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been waiting awhile and apparently would have waited a LONG TIME! :lol2: Can't believe this performance wasn't mentioned yet.

 

For me best artist of the night was Gary Clark Jr signing a song he wrote years ago for another blues musician!

 

Gary Clark Jr. - Grammy Awards 2

Wait, outside of probably half the audience in attendance (and some performers) being "high", there are actual high points at the Grammys?

 

I guess you can tell I'm no fan.

 

Come on. Half the audience was high?

Late to the party.

 

I'm a big Bruno Mars fan. He's always good. Love a good R&B tune.

 

I enjoyed Quest Called Tribe.

 

Beyonce was just too weird for me.

 

While I recognize Adele's amazing talent most of her songs do nothing for me and her tribute did nothing for me.

 

Prince tribute was good but needed more Prince songs although I do enjoy Morris Day and the Time.

After watching the Grammy's last night for the first time in quite awhile , I was reminded of why I don't pay much attention to popular music anymore. That was three plus hours of my life that I will never get back and I am not happy about it. Much to my non-surprise, it was jammed with a lot of C(rap).

 

The tributes to George Michael , Prince, and the Bee Gees could have, and should have, been better. Bruno did make a pretty good Prince.

 

The highlight of the night for me was the duet of country star Maren Morris and Alicia Keys singing Morris' breakup ballad, "Once." Really good. I really like Kelsea Ballerini . She deserved better than the mashup duet with Lukas Graham. I would have rather seen Kelsea without Lukas.

 

Lots of political statements and thinly-veiled shots at Trump. Busta Rhymes making reference to "President Agent Orange" got a chuckle out of me. Katy's performance was pretty good. She wore a white pantsuit that was clearly a tribute to Hillary and an armband that said "Persist." Lost of interesting visuals in Beyoncé's performance.

 

I think I'll just continue to listen to my seventies and eighties music. Today's popular music still sucks as bad as it has for the better part of three decades now. C(rap).

 

 

What were your high points and lowpoints of the 59th Grammy's???

 

This is why I haven't watched a Grammy Awards show in probably 25 years.

 

Considering that your original favs were products of cooperate radio pushing big label music, and that your limited exposure to music over the last 30 years has again been products of cooperate radio pushing big labels, it's no small wonder why your perception is what it is. Aside from what you see on the Grammy's there is SO much more music out there to choose from.

 

As a kid into your teens and 20's you were once a target audience where your favorite stations supplied your specific age group with what would sell, and you bought it and enjoyed it as faithful listeners.

 

Only the musical trends that played to that age demographic got played, so while YOU AGED and no longer identified with the changing trends of what SHEEN or STYLE the cooperate radio was convincing you was all that existed, there's been a PLETHORA OF MUSIC before, during, and after "YOUR ERA" being made, and much that you very well could have dug if you had continued to follow it. Perhaps not your specific favorite genre, but still a chance to discover and love another one or two or three or four more genres.

 

Certainly that music too was, and is an evolution of changing musical trends, just as the 50's, 60's, 70's, & 80's distinctively were, and because years ago you were on the pulse, you rarely dramatically noticed changes as they happened, yet since you backed off years ago and missed numerous changes and genres since, the music absolutely to you now feels like a different language, and one that you can't understand, or has much chance of speaking to you. You missed a beat so to speak, and missing years and years of beat only makes it more daunting.

 

Nothing wrong with what you dug years ago, and being close to your age I very much did too, but quite possibly cooperate radio didn't do you any favors when it was time for you to shift gears and having little idea where to go with it.

 

Thankfully MTV saved you a little to let you know about various genres, but as you aged there were less and less opportunities for you to feel attached to a demographic to celebrate you favorite music, so instead of giving different trends and genres a chance you stayed with what was familiar and comforting, while the idea of being challenged by something fresh and new felt daunting because with it felt a need to adapt different styles to your life that sometimes goes along with the music, and you were past the age of trend chasing or perhaps it could've felt pretentious. Truth is is that you don't have to change anything to just simply listen and remain aware. If I adapted my outward style to every genre I liked I'd probably be viewed as schizophrenic.

 

What you went through is not terribly unusual as you see it quite often with people of different eras holding closely to what they enjoyed in their youth. There's now even people 10-20 years younger than you doing the same and swearing that the best music ever made was in the 90's, with little mystery that it's because they were in their teens and 20's when they listened to it. If freaks me out when I see people younger than me stagnate.

 

When grunge came along, personally I wasn't too wild about it, and ironically whereas grunge was a middle finger reaction to cooperate rock, it turned around and became the new cooperate rock because labels saw the trend and ran to where the $$$ was. If that was all that was available at the time and I had no other avenues to let me know there was other music out there, I very well might've done exactly what you did and gave up on it.

 

Sure music is a matter of taste, and whereas I used to dig a lot of metal, if I wanted to continue to hear new music it was either continue to follow the changing trends of metal, or pay attention to other various trends that were brewing too.

 

I didn't grow up on metal, as it was just what I reached for as a teen and early 20's, I was schooled on a tons of 60's and 70's music from folk, and rock genres, and along with metal I dug new wave and alternative so many other areas of discovery were open season and thankfully so, because they indeed were available, yet just not on many radio stations, so it took digging a little deeper, or hanging with other music seekers, or going to club shows, talking to bands or chatting it up with private record shop owners etc..reading mags and scouring the internet to remain aware of stuff that was dig worthy.

 

Obviously there's no steadfast rule that you have to like anything other than what you like, but if you truly truly truly are a music lover wishing to be excited by something new it saddens me that your perception quite possibly may have been tarnished by cooperate radio which terribly mislead you into believing that there wasn't anything out there but what they were offering.

 

One thing too is that when you were younger it was fun to share new music with friends, but when everyone aged and quit listening so did the fun. In the same spirit it's helpful to have like minded friends who champion the idea of locating cool new music rather than discourage each other with cliche's that reinforce the idea that it's a waste of your time to look. One sure fire way to get old in the head is do that, and where's the fun in that?

 

Eclecticism is a good thing and don't let anyone ever tell you differently.

 

I get it that now after so many years it feels like playing catch up, but remember that sometimes first listens can be misleading when it comes to music. Some of my favorite stuff is stuff that was challenging to me the first few times I heard it before it started getting into my system and I started recognizing its brilliance.

 

You can most definitely go the rest of your life carrying with it your present perception, and it's no big deal if that's what you're comfortable with, and at the end of the day what does it really matter, but please do know that it doesn't have to be like that and that there's tons of stuff out there that you could like.

 

I cringe when I hear people say what you guys are saying because I know, as does many others our age, that that perception is just a perception and not at all accurate.

 

How did people our age who still listen who liked the same things that you used to like years ago continue to find new music today that is just as satisfying, and how did the two of you not?

 

Please don't blame it on the music, and I promise you that the coolness of new music will always welcome you back with open arms and won't hold it against you if you ever choose to start listening again.

Considering that your original favs were products of cooperate radio pushing big label music, and that your limited exposure to music over the last 30 years has again been products of cooperate radio pushing big labels, it's no small wonder why your perception is what it is. Aside from what you see on the Grammy's there is SO much more music out there to choose from.

 

As a kid into your teens and 20's you were once a target audience where your favorite stations supplied your specific age group with what would sell, and you bought it and enjoyed it as faithful listeners.

 

Only the musical trends that played to that age demographic got played, so while YOU AGED and no longer identified with the changing trends of what SHEEN or STYLE the cooperate radio was convincing you was all that existed, there's been a PLETHORA OF MUSIC before, during, and after "YOUR ERA" being made, and much that you very well could have dug if you had continued to follow it. Perhaps not your specific favorite genre, but still a chance to discover and love another one or two or three or four more genres.

 

Certainly that music too was, and is an evolution of changing musical trends, just as the 50's, 60's, 70's, & 80's distinctively were, and because years ago you were on the pulse, you rarely dramatically noticed changes as they happened, yet since you backed off years ago and missed numerous changes and genres since, the music absolutely to you now feels like a different language, and one that you can't understand, or has much chance of speaking to you. You missed a beat so to speak, and missing years and years of beat only makes it more daunting.

 

Nothing wrong with what you dug years ago, and being close to your age I very much did too, but quite possibly cooperate radio didn't do you any favors when it was time for you to shift gears and having little idea where to go with it.

 

Thankfully MTV saved you a little to let you know about various genres, but as you aged there were less and less opportunities for you to feel attached to a demographic to celebrate you favorite music, so instead of giving different trends and genres a chance you stayed with what was familiar and comforting, while the idea of being challenged by something fresh and new felt daunting because with it felt a need to adapt different styles to your life that sometimes goes along with the music, and you were past the age of trend chasing or perhaps it could've felt pretentious. Truth is is that you don't have to change anything to just simply listen and remain aware. If I adapted my outward style to every genre I liked I'd probably be viewed as schizophrenic.

 

What you went through is not terribly unusual as you see it quite often with people of different eras holding closely to what they enjoyed in their youth. There's now even people 10-20 years younger than you doing the same and swearing that the best music ever made was in the 90's, with little mystery that it's because they were in their teens and 20's when they listened to it. If freaks me out when I see people younger than me stagnate.

 

When grunge came along, personally I wasn't too wild about it, and ironically whereas grunge was a middle finger reaction to cooperate rock, it turned around and became the new cooperate rock because labels saw the trend and ran to where the $$$ was. If that was all that was available at the time and I had no other avenues to let me know there was other music out there, I very well might've done exactly what you did and gave up on it.

 

Sure music is a matter of taste, and whereas I used to dig a lot of metal, if I wanted to continue to hear new music it was either continue to follow the changing trends of metal, or pay attention to other various trends that were brewing too.

 

I didn't grow up on metal, as it was just what I reached for as a teen and early 20's, I was schooled on a tons of 60's and 70's music from folk, and rock genres, and along with metal I dug new wave and alternative so many other areas of discovery were open season and thankfully so, because they indeed were available, yet just not on many radio stations, so it took digging a little deeper, or hanging with other music seekers, or going to club shows, talking to bands or chatting it up with private record shop owners etc..reading mags and scouring the internet to remain aware of stuff that was dig worthy.

 

Obviously there's no steadfast rule that you have to like anything other than what you like, but if you truly truly truly are a music lover wishing to be excited by something new it saddens me that your perception quite possibly may have been tarnished by cooperate radio which terribly mislead you into believing that there wasn't anything out there but what they were offering.

 

One thing too is that when you were younger it was fun to share new music with friends, but when everyone aged and quit listening so did the fun. In the same spirit it's helpful to have like minded friends who champion the idea of locating cool new music rather than discourage each other with cliche's that reinforce the idea that it's a waste of your time to look. One sure fire way to get old in the head is do that, and where's the fun in that?

 

Eclecticism is a good thing and don't let anyone ever tell you differently.

 

I get it that now after so many years it feels like playing catch up, but remember that sometimes first listens can be misleading when it comes to music. Some of my favorite stuff is stuff that was challenging to me the first few times I heard it before it started getting into my system and I started recognizing its brilliance.

 

You can most definitely go the rest of your life carrying with it your present perception, and it's no big deal if that's what you're comfortable with, and at the end of the day what does it really matter, but please do know that it doesn't have to be like that and that there's tons of stuff out there that you could like.

 

I cringe when I hear people say what you guys are saying because I know, as does many others our age, that that perception is just a perception and not at all accurate.

 

How did people our age who still listen who liked the same things that you used to like years ago continue to find new music today that is just as satisfying, and how did the two of you not?

 

Please don't blame it on the music, and I promise you that the coolness of new music will always welcome you back with open arms and won't hold it against you if you ever choose to start listening again.

 

Now this is a true (length wise) @B-Ball-fan post. :lol2:

 

I can dig some new stuff .....even the :poop: DLG's listen to, however, I draw the line at DLG 3.0's Korean Pop music.

Now this is a true (length wise) @B-Ball-fan post. :lol2:

 

I can dig some new stuff .....even the :poop: DLG's listen to, however, I draw the line at DLG 3.0's Korean Pop music.

 

Quite possibly my new world record... :laugh:

 

 

This tune is already 7 years old, but I wonder if she's familiar with these Korean guys "Far East Movement" and their tune "Like a G6".

 

This wouldn't be an example of music that I might push as "good music" as it's certainly for a younger teen pop demographic, but I must admit that it did ear worm me with its catchiness after a few listens.

 

Quite possibly my new world record... :laugh:

 

 

This tune is already 7 years old, but I wonder if she's familiar with these Korean guys "Far East Movement" and their tune "Like a G6".

 

This wouldn't be an example of music that I might push as "good music" as it's certainly for a younger teen pop demographic, but I must admit that it did ear worm me with its catchiness after a few listens.

 

 

Her K-pop is all sung in Korean.

Her K-pop is all sung in Korean.

 

Ah...dig it.

 

That's interesting and trippy different as it is intriguing.

 

Do her pals listen too, or is this all her own deal?

Ah...dig it.

 

That's interesting and trippy different as it is intriguing.

 

Do her pals listen too, or is this all her own deal?

 

Trippy different.......LOL

This is her style, although this one has a little English.

 

A couple of her friends are into it.

 

 

SHINee(シャイニー) - 「Get The Treasure」 Music Video(full ver.)

 

It's going to blow your mind when one of these dudes turns out to be your son-in-law. She'll be in their fan club, she'll stand out as an American fan, and one of these dude's is going to pen pal her and the rest is history.... You just wait. :lol2:

What they're saying ain't got a clue, but 3.0 knows it by heart.

 

Just Right - GOT7 - Vevo

 

Yeah...I've no clue either... pretty wild that she knows it...

 

The video was colorful and clever...got a kick out of it...

 

NFB (New Favorite Band) - JK :lol2:

Come on. Half the audience was high?

 

OK...all of them?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.