Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Officiating Question/Problem

Featured Replies

This happened during an intense game a few weeks ago.

 

A girl shot a runner from a couple steps outside of the free throw line and (without breaking stride) caught the ball (airball.. touched nothing at all) and shot a layup. Our coach goes bananas asking for a walk call and the official tells him that as long as it is a legit shot, she can grab her own rebound regardless of whether or not the ball touches anybody or anything..

 

I don't understand how one could justify whether or not it was a legit shot. Maybe she was trying to make a post entry pass while on the run? Sounds crazy I know, but who is to decide whether she was or wasn't? Let's say I pick up my dribble under the opposite rim and "shoot" the ball to half court to regain my dribble. Who is to tell me this wasn't a legit shot?? Maybe I don't have the strength to get it to the opposite rim..

 

Please help me out with this one...

  • Replies 57
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is up to the refs desecration on whether it was a shot or not.

  • Author
It is up to the refs desecration on whether it was a shot or not.

 

Yeah I get that, but I just don't like it.. Especially on a floater/runner. I could understand with my hypothetical scenarios (shooting to regain my dribble) I mean it's fairly obvious that it wasn't a real shot. However, if I had known this rule when I played I might have shot some air ball floaters to penetrate without having to dribble through traffic... worked for the girl a few weeks ago lol

If I had to guess, I am pretty sure his shots were airballs.

Even a poor official knows the difference between a legitimate shot and a pass.

 

Non-issue.

Even a poor official knows the difference between a legitimate shot and a pass.

 

Non-issue.

 

….but I've seen a few….:laugh:

Another weird one...team was late coming out of timeout so the ref laid the ball down and started his count. The girl to inbound the ball was on a dead sprint to get it and throw it in, but obviously wasn't going to beat the count. A boy from the stands, a fan, picked up the ball and flipped it to her. She then threw it in to a teammate. No call made at all! I think desecration is a better word!

Another weird one...team was late coming out of timeout so the ref laid the ball down and started his count. The girl to inbound the ball was on a dead sprint to get it and throw it in, but obviously wasn't going to beat the count. A boy from the stands, a fan, picked up the ball and flipped it to her. She then threw it in to a teammate. No call made at all! I think desecration is a better word!

 

What?????

That call is a joke as is the call that we received yesterday that a girl wasn't walking because she was juggling the ball down the court. She literally went 25-30 feet without dribbling and the official said "she's juggling the ball" with that upward motion with both of his hands. It was bizarre!

That call is a joke as is the call that we received yesterday that a girl wasn't walking because she was juggling the ball down the court. She literally went 25-30 feet without dribbling and the official said "she's juggling the ball" with that upward motion with both of his hands. It was bizarre!

 

If she never controlled it it's not a travel. She bobbled it for 35% of the floor?

If she never controlled it it's not a travel. She bobbled it for 35% of the floor?

 

So I can tell my player to bobble the ball down the floor while not dribbling??? If that interpretation of the rule is utilized my daughter may score 40-50 points a game off simply being faster than everyone else and batting/juggling the ball down the floor. In our game, the girl literally went from the opposite foul line to about 10 feet across midcourt and the ref said "juggling the ball so no walk." No one was deflecting the ball or anything. It was bizarre and clearly a walk under normal interpretations of the rules.

So I can tell my player to bobble the ball down the floor while not dribbling??? If that interpretation of the rule is utilized my daughter may score 40-50 points a game off simply being faster than everyone else and batting/juggling the ball down the floor. In our game, the girl literally went from the opposite foul line to about 10 feet across midcourt and the ref said "juggling the ball so no walk." No one was deflecting the ball or anything. It was bizarre and clearly a walk under normal interpretations of the rules.

 

Was she bobbling the ball? Did she ever catch it?

That call is a joke as is the call that we received yesterday that a girl wasn't walking because she was juggling the ball down the court. She literally went 25-30 feet without dribbling and the official said "she's juggling the ball" with that upward motion with both of his hands. It was bizarre!

 

Bizarre and the right call.

Was she bobbling the ball? Did she ever catch it?

 

Yes, she had original possession of it and started dribbling down the floor. One of our girls ran by her but never touched the ball, but it disrupted her dribbling and momentum and so she was looking to pass forward and simply started bobbling/juggling it for about 30 feet while taking probably 5-6 steps. It was bizarre and absolutely not the correct call.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.