Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 54 Conner 36

Featured Replies

Final from Hebron

I thought the final score would have been a little closer. Any details?

I thought the final score would have been a little closer. Any details?

 

I'll try when I get home.

Here's what I got!

 

Conner came out fast to start the game, going up early by 4-5 about two minutes in. HHS settled down a little, tightened up on defense and worked their way to the lead at the end of the 1st 17-11.

 

HHS maintained the lead throughout the second qtr and had extended it to 14 by halftime.

 

The third qtr saw Conner come out and play really tight man to man, pressuring the ball all over the court and over playing the passing lanes. This worked to get Conner back in the game. I think by the middle of the third, Conner had worked their way to as close as 4 (I think). They just outplayed, out hustled, out rebounded, out whatever you want to put here for about 4 minutes in the third! HHS regained their composure, hit a few shots to slowed the momentum and found themselves up by 9 at the end of the third.

 

The fourth saw Conner kinda tire out a little and the Birds start to extend their lead. Late in the fourth, Conner was forced to take some chances as a last ditch effort to get back in the game and that led to some easy baskets with about 3 min left in the game. Both teams cleared the benches with just under 2 min left (I think).

 

It was a competitive game. Both teams played extremely hard. Several AAU teammates on both teams, so a little extra incentive!

 

I saw the Conner girls miss a lot of shots that I know they typically make tonight. I don't know if that was the defense, playing against your buddies or just an off night. But I still have all kinds of respect for that team and there is no doubt they will be just fine by tournament time. I think people have very high expectations for this group and sometimes forget how young they are. That's a tough spot!

 

To me, HHS actually looked a little sluggish at times. And they also really struggled with ball handling with certain lineups in the game. And their rebounding was just okay tonight. They cannot afford to get beat on the boards like they did in a few stints tonight. Barth and Martin are solid. Really like Emma Little. Not flashy, but knows her role and plays great defense. Lauren Epperson had a nice game tonight as well. The Birds are going to have to find their rotation to make a run. Just my gut, but I think teams will start to figure the Birds out by tournament time and they need to make sure they have the right rotation ready when that time comes. If they don't, teams will expose it. They have some weaknesses they need to sure up to hang with the big dogs, but there is time for that.

 

Good luck to both teams. It's bittersweet seeing some of my favs lose. But if it has to be, I'm glad it's us.

Was told that Conner missed a great number of wide open layups, had a lot of unforced turnovers and missed free throws again. Stamm needs to start holding players accountable who aren't producing and playing out of control. When girls aren't getting the job done they shouldn't be on the floor.

Any Individual stats?

 

Martin 17 pts 9 rebounds 3 assist

Barth 14 pts 11 rebounds 3 steals

Epperson 10 pts 8 rebounds

 

I thought Highlands was really good defensively and caused Conner lots of problems out rebounding them 45-33. At times the birds got a little sloppy with the ball but nothing to be concerned with. Over all a very nice game by Highlands.

Surprised by the rebounding. Conner must have gotten all 33 rebounds in the first and third qtrs!

Hats off to Coach Richey and her game plan...they really had the blueprint for beating this Conner team. Don't let Hurst get comfortable from 3 and force them to play half court defense & offense. Pretty sure Hurst only had 1 three all night...kudos to the players that checked her!

 

Conner's offensive game plan looks like it was drawn up on the playground frankly. Too many one pass chuck it or one-on-one drives...no real imagination on offense (which really hurts when your best outside shot has been defended so well)! Highlands was much more efficient in design and execution...the coach in me loves that motion offense for their team this year...really fits that group! Unlike Conner, they get after it on the boards (collectively as a team)!

 

RCC...looked like many of the Conner players are just rushing...playing too fast! Not sure if that's because their offensive weapon in Hurst was shut down, or it was just a case of nerves. It's the second game of theirs I've seen where starters just fumble the ball out of bounds driving in transition or with an open lane.

 

EZ - after watching last night, I'm not sure how you'd replace all 5 starters that are missing free throws, layups, or fumbling the ball out of bounds/producing turnovers. Each of their starters fit into one of those categories. Honestly, they don't look like they believe in their offense. After watching it now for a couple of games, I understand why. It's a shame...they're a talented, athletic bunch. Would be nice to see them run a similar offense to Highlands. JMHO though!

Highlands will always be very good - talent and coaching are both strong, and I think the coaching will always be a strength of that program. If they put together exceptional talent - watch out.

 

Sounds like Conner needs to develop some greater diversity on offense. Can't be one-dimensional schematically or as players.

After watching the game I could see the talent on both teams and I believe both will make decent runs this year. Conner was hurt by their center not playing a lot. Duncan made a big difference when she was in there. Both good runs were while she was on the court. The birds had a had time matching up with her height. She had very limited playing time due to two early fowls and seemed to be nursing an injury, but that's always part of the equation and Conner couldn't overcome it. Very poor shooting night for the cougars as well. Seemed like they were playing a little tight. I expected a little more from them with the good young talent they have. The Birds definitely deserved the win that night. They made the shots and had a good game plan. Seemed more prepared than Conner for sure.

After watching the game I could see the talent on both teams and I believe both will make decent runs this year. Conner was hurt by their center not playing a lot. Duncan made a big difference when she was in there. Both good runs were while she was on the court. The birds had a had time matching up with her height. She had very limited playing time due to two early fowls and seemed to be nursing an injury, but that's always part of the equation and Conner couldn't overcome it. Very poor shooting night for the cougars as well. Seemed like they were playing a little tight. I expected a little more from them with the good young talent they have. The Birds definitely deserved the win that night. They made the shots and had a good game plan. Seemed more prepared than Conner for sure.

 

I agree that Duncan had an impact when she was on the floor. I was a little surprised how much actually. The Birds have definitely played kids as big and athletic as her and hadn't run into the issue. But as a Birds fan, I was glad to see her go out with her second foul early in the first half! (that's a compliment!) She seemed to be having her way on the boards.

 

I think with the Conner kids and any team that relies on a lot of youth, you're gonna have up and down nights. I also think the expectation might have been set a little high because of the success the young ones had last year. I think the leadership of Gambrel, Hendricks and Hicks were huge for those kids last year and they are missed. When you have confident seniors to fall back on, it makes it easier on the young ones. When those kids are gone and everyone is looking at you, that's a totally new role. There is no doubt the kids there can grow into that, but I'm just pointing out that it's more of an adjustment than some think. I look at that game the other night and say if Gambrel would have been on the floor, she would have calmed them down when they looked a little erratic. Not sure anyone on that team has grown into that yet. But as you all know, it only takes a few minutes of chaos to end up in an 18 pt loss.

 

Just a few observations. I wouldn't beat the kids or the coaching up just yet. Conner lost 6 seniors and 2-3 of those were pretty impactful. That can take some time when those kids are gone. Conner has a ton of talent. They will be just fine. Just be patient! (I know, easy for me to say!)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.