October 25, 20169 yr Man files lawsuit after being kicked in the face during arrest in Allentown | 6abc.com Edited October 25, 20169 yr by FanofMany33
October 25, 20169 yr Two Observations 1) It does look like the kick was unwarranted, from what we see in that short clip. 2) Does the guy have a learning disability, he clearly didn't seem to understand what get on the ground meant. The other passengers came out of the vehicle and got flat on the ground, the guy that got kicked seemed to want to talk about it...maybe he just didn't understand what was being asked. FWIW if he had went flat to the ground instead of to his knees, where he was told again to get down...then to all fours as he continues to ask if he has to get down, he probably wouldn't have gotten kicked and this would not be an issue.
October 25, 20169 yr Two Observations 1) It does look like the kick was unwarranted, from what we see in that short clip. 2) Does the guy have a learning disability, he clearly didn't seem to understand what get on the ground meant. The other passengers came out of the vehicle and got flat on the ground, the guy that got kicked seemed to want to talk about it...maybe he just didn't understand what was being asked. FWIW if he had went flat to the ground instead of to his knees, where he was told again to get down...then to all fours as he continues to ask if he has to get down, he probably wouldn't have gotten kicked and this would not be an issue. I'm torn on this one. Doesn't look good. On one hand I'd say it's fine because the officer was worried that he may cause a problem but then the officer didn't even check to see if the guy was going to be a problem after kicking him. So why kick? What did the kick accomplish? He had another officer there to back him up. That's the angle I would take as the attorney. I could see a civil suit going either one in this case.
October 25, 20169 yr He committed armed robbery and plead guilty to the charge. He didn't listen when he got out of the car and according to officers, kept reaching for his waistband. If true, he's lucky he didn't get shot.
October 25, 20169 yr I'm torn on this one. Doesn't look good. On one hand I'd say it's fine because the officer was worried that he may cause a problem but then the officer didn't even check to see if the guy was going to be a problem after kicking him. So why kick? What did the kick accomplish? He had another officer there to back him up. That's the angle I would take as the attorney. I could see a civil suit going either one in this case. Also had multiple other passengers in the car. If he only had one officer to back him him they were outnumbered by people who just committed a robbery and were ignoring commands. *Edit* Watched the video. He kicked him because he wouldn't get on the ground like the other two. He then moved on to the driver who didn't get out and another officer took control of him.
October 25, 20169 yr He committed armed robbery and plead guilty to the charge. He didn't listen when he got out of the car and according to officers, kept reaching for his waistband. If true, he's lucky he didn't get shot. Let me play the attorney just for conversation sake. My HB , you say you kicked him because he was reaching for his waistband. Can you show is in the video when that occurred and how he did that with both hands on the ground? Let's say for a minute that the video really did show him reaching for his waistband. If you were concerned he may have a weapon in his waistband and was a potential threat whey didn't you then see if he had a weapon after you brutally kicked him in the head?
October 25, 20169 yr Let me play the attorney just for conversation sake. My HB , you say you kicked him because he was reaching for his waistband. Can you show is in the video when that occurred and how he did that with both hands on the ground? Let's say for a minute that the video really did show him reaching for his waistband. If you were concerned he may have a weapon in his waistband and was a potential threat whey didn't you then see if he had a weapon after you brutally kicked him in the head? I saw him reach for his waistband in the video. After he was kicked, he complied and got on the ground with his hands visible. Officer then moved on to the other suspects whom he could not see, and another officer detained him. If you notice, the others got on the ground as instructed and were not kicked or struck. If you rob someone then get caught by police, you should comply with every command immediately for your own safety.
October 25, 20169 yr I saw him reach for his waistband in the video. After he was kicked, he complied and got on the ground with his hands visible. Officer then moved on to the other suspects whom he could not see, and another officer detained him. If you notice, the others got on the ground as instructed and were not kicked or struck. If you rob someone then get caught by police, you should comply with every command immediately for your own safety. You saw the guy reach for his waistband? Can you point me to that spot? I see him with two hands on the ground looking at the officer as the officer's foot was coming towards his gord.
October 25, 20169 yr Btw, the suspect displayed a firearm in his waistband during the robbery. In an intense situation like that where there are multiple people and one not cooperating, after committing an armed robbery, i seriously doubt the officer decided to kick him for the heck of it.
October 25, 20169 yr Btw, the suspect displayed a firearm in his waistband during the robbery. In an intense situation like that where there are multiple people and one not cooperating, after committing an armed robbery, i seriously doubt the officer decided to kick him for the heck of it. 1. We all agree they should comply. 2. I'm not saying the officer did it for the heck of it. We are debating whether it was appropriate. 3. Where do you see him reaching for his waistband ? If it's there then it's a no-brainer case.
October 25, 20169 yr You saw the guy reach for his waistband? Can you point me to that spot? I see him with two hands on the ground looking at the officer as the officer's foot was coming towards his gord. If you watch the video, you can clearly see him reach for his waistband at least two times. Around 24 seconds in is the first time. He then ignores commands to lay on the ground and takes his sweet time while everyone else got out and immediately did what they were told.
October 25, 20169 yr It's obvious that he wasnt doing what they were telling him to. Everyone else understood the orders, he was acting odd. After committing an armed robbery, why is he not complying? Everyone else did...is he planning to run or fight? He wasn't beaten for no reason. He was told to do something. He didn't do it, and he was then forced to do it. I don't expect the police to beat someone for robbing a store, but i also don't expect them to handle potentially armed and dangerous suspects who are not complying with kid gloves.
October 25, 20169 yr I found this video doing a Google search. It isn't the video I saw in the link. It shows much more and I can see where he certainly is putting his hands near his waistband while he's standing up but then goes down to the ground. Is this the video you were watching?
October 25, 20169 yr I watched that video on another site. You can see him reach for his waistband when in his knees as well. He did not obey commands and reached for his waistband. It's simple to me.
October 25, 20169 yr I found this video doing a Google search. It isn't the video I saw in the link. It shows much more and I can see where he certainly is putting his hands near his waistband while he's standing up but then goes down to the ground. Is this the video you were watching? Seeing this full video I have much less of an issue with how it was handled...in fact I have no issue with it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.