And you think your hungry????

jericho

Pennsylvania school cafeteria worker quits over 'lunch shaming' policy | Fox News

Stacy Koltiska resigned last week from Wylandville Elementary School in the Canon-McMillan School District after she had to take a hot lunch away from an elementary school student because the child's parent had fallen more than $25 behind in paying for his school lunches

If the kid had already had the lunch in front of him no way I could/would take it back. I'd dig into my pocket and pay the $2.00 or whatever it would be. However, I don't necessarily disagree with the rule and it's what school districts have to do now to get parents to pay and keep their account up to date. I'd let the tyke know that tomorrow it's a cold sandwich and fruit unless his parents update the lunch account, maybe send a note home with him.

I don't understand how the kid had the lunch in front of him. Our school does this also but they just don't let you buy it. They let you know you have to get a cold lunch before taking the food to the table. I think it is hard because it is not the kid's fault and I am sure he took some teasing. But, how do schools make sure they get paid for lunch.

The other thing our school does that drives me nuts, they make you pay with your account. So if my kid had a $25 debit but I gave him $5 to buy his meal today, the school puts it in their account and would still make him get a cold lunch.

Somebody is paying for it, believe me.

Taxpayers, no doubt. But it still makes sense to me to do it that way as it eliminates stories like this and the embarrassment kids like the one in this story would have to deal with. The school district has a budget of over $30 million per year, so I don't think they are killing themselves by providing free food.