Who is Winning Class 3A - District 7?

gchs_uk9

Perhaps the lowest ranked district in Kentucky, District 7 is balanced and competitive, but not likely to produce any major contenders. Breathitt is the historical name here, but Powell won last year and Magoffin the year before that. Who in this group is a future district champion?

Shown with current record

Estill County (2-1)

Knott County Central (1-1)

Morgan County (1-1)

Breathitt County (0-2)

Powell County (0-2)

Magoffin County (0-3)

another ?, could this be the year that Breathitt fails to make the playoffs? When was the last time that happened?

I'll look when I get home about the last time they missed the playoffs. It could happen this year, but I'm still not sure if there are four teams in that district better than Breathitt.

another ?, could this be the year that Breathitt fails to make the playoffs? When was the last time that happened?

I'll look when I get home about the last time they missed the playoffs. It could happen this year, but I'm still not sure if there are four teams in that district better than Breathitt.

1990 was the last time Breathitt missed the playoffs. They went 7-4, but finished 3rd in their district the year before Kentucky went to the four-team-per-district format. They went 1-10 the next season, but snuck into the playoffs as a 4 seed.

I could have sworn that they won their district in 2003. However, I just checked and they finished 2nd that year. I remember them thumping Russell behind a powerful running game.

A really good Estill team finished 2014 in a three-way tie with Garrard County and Bourbon County, but Garrard won the tiebreaker and thus was crowned district champion. Estill then lost at Russell in the second round of the playoffs.

A really good Estill team finished 2014 in a three-way tie with Garrard County and Bourbon County, but Garrard won the tiebreaker and thus was crowned district champion. Estill then lost at Russell in the second round of the playoffs.

I was at the playoff game against Russell that year. Estill had a QB with some serious wheels.