Hoop Dreams Do Come True

Randy Embry played on Owensboro's 1960 state tourney team...and led the Red Devils to state as coach in '96, '92, '87, '86, '84, '83, '82 and '81.

Bobby Watson played on Owensboro's 1949 state championship team...and coached the Reds Devils to state in 1960, '62, '63, '65, '67, '70, '71, '72, '73, '74, '75, '77, '79 and '80. The 1972 and 1980 teams won the state championship.

Did Ron Dawn of NewCath make it as a player? He coached NewCath last year in Sweet 16.

NewCath - Played '73 & '74

NewCath - Coached (Boys) '00 & '16 (Girls) '11

I have been told Greg McQueary and Dave Faust have accomplished it as well.

NewCath - Played '73 & '74

St. Henry - Coached '03

A couple shout-outs for some native sons from my hometown of Owensboro:

In addition to playing and coaching in the Sweet Sixteen, the aforementioned Greg Baughn also played on the Kentucky Wesleyan 1987 Division II NCAA championship team.

Also, special recognition is due Rod Drake for not only both playing and coaching in the Sweet Sixteen but winning state championships as both a player (1980) and a coach (2015).

Terrific thread. I certainly don't know everyone on this list but interesting to note the few I do know personally, Chris O'Hearn and Allen Feldhaus, Jr. are absolutely "class acts" as educators, parents and community role models also. I suspect that might hold true for the entire list. Coincidence? I think not.