Bullitt East vs. Campbell County - State Semi-Final Predictions

theguru

Franzen will NOT give up more than 3 runs in this game.... Campbell has good bats from 1-9 in the lineup, I'm not sure about Bullit East.

Campbell County-6 Bullit East-2

I like your confidence regarding Alex not giving up more than 3 runs but even if he does give up more than 3 I believe CC's offense can pick him up.

Don't know enough about BE to make an educated prediction so I will rely on "homerism."

CC has been very explosive. BE will have to keep the Camels hitters off balanced for the "entirety" of the game. I'm sure they'll have a fantastic pitcher on the bump. Franzen really impresses and is very mature. I can see him giving up 4-5 runs and the Camels still prevail.

I'm going to call it 7-5. Team with the least errors wins! :lol2:

Go Camels...we believe in you boys!

BE squares off with Camels in semi-finals

MOUNT WASHINGTON – Most high school sports teams have their banquets after the season is completed.

Not the Bullitt East Chargers. Not this season.

Because of the team’s deep run in the post-season, coach Jeff Bowles’ team had its earlier scheduled banquet on Monday of this week. Of course, there was a lot to celebrate as Bullitt East is still alive heading into the final week of the season, playing in the state semi-finals on Friday.

Bullitt East will be facing Campbell County at 8:30 p.m. in the semi-finals. That will be the second of two games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark on Friday. St. Xavier and McCracken County will meet in the first semi-final in Lexington at 6 p.m.

The two winners on Friday will meet in the Rawlings/KHSAA State Baseball Tournament championship game at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

Bullitt East and Campbell County do not have any common opponents this season. None of the players on either team had previously played in the state tournament.

Campbell County, the Camels, earned the spot opposite Bullitt East last week by beating Ohio County 5-1 and then rolling over Hazard 14-3 in a game that was stopped after six innings.

The Hazard game was only 4-3 before Campbell County scored ten runs in the fifth and sixth innings. The game got messy as each team had four errors. Campbell County had just one error in the win over Ohio County.

Bullitt East has not committed an error in its two wins in Lexington.

The Camels, 28-10, are the champions of the 10th Region. In the first two rounds of post-season play, the team beat Scott High School 5-0 in the 37th District final and then beat the same team 10-0 in the 10th Region final.

In the first weekend of the state tournament, the Camels threw senior Alex Franzen against Ohio County and it would be a shock if he didn’t take the mound against the Chargers on Friday. Against Ohio County, Franzen gave up just four hits and the one run was unearned.

Franzen has an overall record of 11-3 this season with a 1.90 ERA.

The top hitter for the Camels is junior third baseman Cory Franzen with a .374 batting average while clean-up hitter Connor Walsh, the team’s second baseman, hits at a .370 average. Colton Hartig, the team’s number two pitcher, is hitting .337 and plays in the outfield.

As a team, Campbell County has a .315 batting average with only four home runs the entire season, but they have stolen 106 bases.

By comparison, Bullitt East has a .334 overall batting average this season with 17 home runs, but only 40 stolen bases. The numbers might be slightly skewed as senior lead-off hitter Garrett Wilson was left off the official stats turned into the KHSAA before the tournament started.

Campbell County enters state baseball semifinals looking for more

Chances are you won’t catch Campbell County Coach Scott Schweitzer smiling on Friday. There’s still business to take care of.

“Right now they’re still not satisfied,” Schweitzer said of his Camels, in the Rawlings/KHSAA State Baseball Tournament for just the third time in school history. “I’ve been preaching since we won the region that we’re gonna do things the same way we’ve done all year. We’re gonna prepare and do the same stuff. It’s not time to celebrate after any win until it’s the big one.”

After waiting 45 years, the Camels are making their second appearance in the semifinals. The 10th Region champions meet 6th Region champ Bullitt East on Friday. As with Campbell’s previous two games, the first pitch is slated for 8:30 p.m. at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.

Last week, Schweitzer elected to have his team bused to and from Lexington rather than staying in town. Campbell County got used to long waits and traveling during its regional, during which weather and graduation conspired to extend the tournament by three days and change the site from Harrison County to Simon Kenton by the time the finals finally occurred on June 4.

Since the Camels defeated Scott 10-0 that Saturday, Schweitzer has posed one question to his team.

“‘Which team are we? Are we the team that’s happy to go there and play or are we the team that’s there to win?’” Schweitzer said. “And so far they’ve been the team that’s there to win each time out.”